Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 10:13 PM

2,132 posts, read 4,923,853 times

Advertisements

Why isn't there a single transit agency for the entire Bay Area? If the agencies were to unite under one organization, they could pool their resources. Scheduling would be so much easier if bus lines could cross county lines. A single monthly pass should be able to cover all forms of public transit.

Look at NYC. The city is spread over five different counties, yet they somehow managed to create a transit system that would cover the entire region. They only recently introduced a monthly pass for the subway.

If they can do it, why can't the Bay Area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 09:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,964,238 times
Hopefully that happens as the individual agencies are running low. Unfortunately the MTC loves BART and gives BART all of the funding.

There is also no incentive to think regionally, whether that means for transit, roads or urban planning here. This explains why density limits in Berkeley lead to sprawl in Brentwood and Livermore. The Bay is also spread out very far geographically. From North to South, the Bay Area runs about 90 miles (About Santa Rosa to San Jose) and another 50 east to west (Pacifica to Brentwood or so). For perspective, Philly is about 80 miles from Manhattan and obviously, Philly transit decisions only have a minor impact on Manhattan's. The commuter train is owned by a different agency.

It is hard to get such a huge area to agree, and there is no shared history across cities. Some towns started off as farm land, and only changed in the past 50 years or less. Some towns only incorporated in the early 90s

Old 07-07-2010, 10:18 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,931,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Hopefully that happens as the individual agencies are running low. Unfortunately the MTC loves BART and gives BART all of the funding.

There is also no incentive to think regionally, whether that means for transit, roads or urban planning here. This explains why density limits in Berkeley lead to sprawl in Brentwood and Livermore. The Bay is also spread out very far geographically. From North to South, the Bay Area runs about 90 miles (About Santa Rosa to San Jose) and another 50 east to west (Pacifica to Brentwood or so). For perspective, Philly is about 80 miles from Manhattan and obviously, Philly transit decisions only have a minor impact on Manhattan's. The commuter train is owned by a different agency.

It is hard to get such a huge area to agree, and there is no shared history across cities. Some towns started off as farm land, and only changed in the past 50 years or less. Some towns only incorporated in the early 90s
Thank you for the reply. This makes a bit more sense now. From the little I understood of BART/CalTrain history, I always thought it was just disagreement from different municipalities and NIMBY-ism that prevented the region from working together...which I initially felt was a pretty petty and short-sighted reason not to get along and think longterm.

But, as you put it, the Bay area is pretty huge geographically and has only recently been built up (compared to east coast cities, that is). It makes a bit more sense why regional development wasn't critical in the past.

That being said, I'd still like to know why BART and CalTrain basically operate over similar areas and why they weren't at least combined initially. And also, why couldn't they combine now? I've read that CalTrain has had major financial woes, and could even close up shop. Is it too late in reality to combine it with BART somehow? I just don't see how it's beneficial/economically sustainable to have two agencies essentially doing the same thing when you could combine their forces.

Being from outside the area, though, this is just my opinion. I realize it's a complicated problem and also is probably a pretty contentious subject for many people.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:32 PM

BART made another interesting decision. It uses really special tracks and cars. In fact the only other similar system in the US (and perhaps the world) is the commuter rail in DC that goes to Maryland. Caltrain is actually on the train tracks. Hopefully high speed rail can help save Caltrain. But honestly, Caltrain is pretty crappy. Best case during commuter hours, it might come by every 30 minutes. The rest of the day and on weekends it is up to every 2 hours. And it doesn't even stop at every station. It also isn't well connected to the rest of the transit network in the surrounding community. So it is usually a pain to take Caltrain to anywhere because the buses don't really connect. You find quite a few bikers on Caltrain.

BART runs every 20 min on the weekend and during commute hours up to every 10 at the end of the line, and every 5 or so in the middle "core" stations.

BART and Caltrain only overlap in San Mateo county (the Peninsula) and BART covers the bulk of the East Bay, from Richmond to Pittsburg to Dublin including the larger cities of Berkeley, Oakland and Fremont.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:54 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,179,621 times
I dont think santa clara county pays into bart, its just san mateo, sf, alameda, and contra costa.

Thats part of the reason bart will never get built to san jose, people in santa clara county have no need for it. Cal train gets you to sf and san jose and most people in san jose have no need or interest in going to the east bay so theres just no reason for it.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:38 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,096,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
That being said, I'd still like to know why BART and CalTrain basically operate over similar areas and why they weren't at least combined initially. And also, why couldn't they combine now? I've read that CalTrain has had major financial woes, and could even close up shop. Is it too late in reality to combine it with BART somehow? I just don't see how it's beneficial/economically sustainable to have two agencies essentially doing the same thing when you could combine their forces.
Caltrain is much more of an old fashioned commuter rail system like METRA in Chicago or LIRR in the NYC area. It is based on the old Southern Pacific commuter line that was established in the 19th century, so the backbone of the system has been there for a long time. Caltrans took it over and turned it into Caltrain in the 1980's I think.

BART was built in the 1970's. Before BART people would take ferries and streetcars across the bay--there used to be streetcar lines that would operate across the Bay Bridge on one of the levels.

So I think a lot of it is to do with systems that were already in place. It's impossible to get anything done in the Bay Area so I think BART and Caltrain took the lazy route and are set up kind of weirdly.

I sort of like Caltrain though, it's VERY reliable and runs like clockwork (when it hasn't run anyone over) and you can drink booze on it which is kind of weird but cool. But the 4th and King station is ridiculously far from downtown SF and it does take a long time to get down the Peninsula.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
I dont think santa clara county pays into bart, its just san mateo, sf, alameda, and contra costa.

Thats part of the reason bart will never get built to san jose, people in santa clara county have no need for it. Cal train gets you to sf and san jose and most people in san jose have no need or interest in going to the east bay so theres just no reason for it.
BART to San Jose is already headed to the environmental report phase now. (Feds sign off on environmental report to bring BART to South Bay - San Jose Mercury News) (for better or worse) and it is happening. SJ people have been claiming they need BART for the past 30 years. And unfortunately BART will bankrupt itself to give it to them. It is completely illogical.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:52 AM

2,132 posts, read 4,923,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
BART to San Jose is already headed to the environmental report phase now. (Feds sign off on environmental report to bring BART to South Bay - San Jose Mercury News) (for better or worse) and it is happening. SJ people have been claiming they need BART for the past 30 years. And unfortunately BART will bankrupt itself to give it to them. It is completely illogical.
Wouldn't it be cheaper to extend Santa Clara County's light rail to the Fremont BART station? A lot cheaper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland