Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 07:32 PM

334 posts, read 1,066,885 times

Advertisements

We are considering a relocation from the bay area.We currently live in an upscale area with very good schools, expensive cost of living for what you get, and most people here are college educated professionals with an strong emphasis on education. We are a professional couple in our late 30's with a toddler.

Can someone tell me what these San Diego areas are like? We are trying to narrow down where to potentially look for a place to live. I like charming communities with some creativity, great dining options, good weather, safety, good schools, and nice people. I am not looking for any red neck areas with a crystal meth presence so please let me know if any of these communities have this element.

Del Mar
Carlsbad
Encinitas
Rancho Santa Fe
Carmel Valley
Solana Beach
La Jolla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 07:52 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
Asked and answered dozens of times in this forum. Please search some of the older threads. Based on what I've already read of your posting history, you will absolutely hate living in San Diego.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:05 PM

Why do you say that? I have family in San Diego who I am very close with plus the weather is great. I think it might be more wholesome than LA where I grew up, plus some of the school districts appear to rival the bay area...at least elementary and middle.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:07 PM

Oh...and I lived in San Diego for a year during college and had a great time before transferring to UCI, but that was a long time ago. I don't want to consider Orange County due to the conservatism and bizarre level of materialism so San Diego seems like a good choice. I miss the good weather.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:41 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,851,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Asked and answered dozens of times in this forum. Please search some of the older threads. Based on what I've already read of your posting history, you will absolutely hate living in San Diego.
I have not reviewed her posting history (I'll take your word on that), but from what I'm seeing here, I agree. I can see into the future, the threads created to complain about how boring SD is, how there's no good restaurants, too conservative, blah blah blah. Why do people move here knowing what SD is then try to change it? I'll never understand that.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:51 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batransplant View Post
I am not looking for any red neck areas with a crystal meth presence so please let me know if any of these communities have this element.
You do realize that San Diego is one of the largest meth cities in the country (being across the border from Mexico and all)?

Old 03-30-2010, 08:56 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
This is a person who complains that the San Francisco Bay Area is "too laid back".

You ain't seen nothing on laid back until you've seen San Diego.

My troll-o-meter has been twitching on this one for a long time.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:17 PM

Have you spent much time in the bay area to compare against San Diego in terms of laid back? Again, I grew up in So Cal and have only been in the bay area for 3 years due to a career relocation. Now my husband may be able to relocate to San Diego. The weather and topography in the bay area is causing major health problems for me and my 2 yo daughter. My allergies are a constant maintenance and misery, and the constant gray skies have caused seasonal affective disorder.

I am looking for warmer weather with much less fog and rain, and closer to the water with excellent schools.

Can anyone recommend a town I assume in North San Diego county which might fit the bill? I dont mind a marine layer or june gloom. I lived in Marina del Rey before moving to the bay area so I get that weather pattern.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:02 PM

384 posts, read 980,631 times
Wow, I don't understand the semi-hostile responses you've gotten to a reasonable question. You don't seem very trollish to me! Anyway, as I posted in your other thread, research Encinitas.
Janine

Old 03-31-2010, 12:29 AM

Thanks Janine! Much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego