Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:57 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,928,487 times

Advertisements

I may be going back in the fall for grad school at SDSU. I was looking at the rates for parking and it seems that a one semester pass from SDSU is $135; alternatively I could get a trolley pass at the college student price for $147/semester.

I live about a 10 minute walk from the Fenton trolley station, and the SDSU station is on the same line (there would be no transfers). According to the MTS site, it seems the trip would take 9 minutes, which is pretty great. We have one car between my husband and I, so it would be nice to free up the vehicle for him if I'm going to be at school all day (however, he works from home, so it's not essential).

I've never taken the SD trolley, nor do I have much experience with public transport in general, to be honest. I've heard conflicting reports on the safety of the trolley. I honestly don't want to have to deal with weird sketchiness (just being honest). Does anyone here that has gone to SDSU know how much of a pain parking is there? I know my undergrad college had AWFUL parking most of the time and I would have gladly taken a trolley/bus to evade the circling of the parking garages if I lived closer.

Any thoughts/input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 09:59 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,470,032 times
If you are in Mission Valley, definitely take the trolley! Parking is a nightmare and getting in / out of the campus on College or Montezuma road is also a disaster. You've been warned!!!!

Old 02-17-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
If you are in Mission Valley, definitely take the trolley! Parking is a nightmare and getting in / out of the campus on College or Montezuma road is also a disaster. You've been warned!!!!
Awesome! That definitely will make my life easier. Yeah, I am thinking back to my undergrad days at a college about the same size and, well, I don't want to have to deal with that again.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:27 PM

176 posts, read 634,828 times
I would suggest taking the trolley as well. You won't have to worry about your parking permit being stolen if you take the trolley.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:30 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,030,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Yeah, seriously, you will save yourself SO much hassle. It'll take you longer to find parking once you get to campus than the 10-minute walk and 9-minute ride combined. It was bad when I was there 6 years ago, and from what I understand it's just gotten worse. I pretty much gave up after one semester and bought a bus pass- the number 11 from North Park took me about the same amount of time total trip, and with a lot less headache.

As for safety, the only time I've seen sketchy folks on the trolley was on the Southern route, through the 'hood, and even then there were generally enough other people around (especially during daytime hours) that it wasn't a big deal.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:34 PM

Yes yes yes! I am so happy that others have found this to be a good idea. I absolutely hate trying to find parking and circle for what feels like hours. Trolley it will be!

Old 02-17-2010, 10:43 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,912 times
The trolley is fine. A lot of students take it to SDSU.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:46 PM

489 posts, read 1,324,481 times
Parking is horrible at SDSU. I would usually have to park in lots that were on the far outskirts of campus and then take a shuttle to get to where I needed to be. On top of that, despite paying for parking permits, I somehow managed to still get parking tickets. So the cost of parking at SDSU ended up being pretty ridiculous.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:12 PM

84 posts, read 440,614 times
I've never had much issue with parking at SDSU. Maybe it's the times that I get to and leave school, but I can at least always get a spot in the surface lot in the back. It's a little hike to the top, but I don't have to wait in line to get into one of the parking structures which seem to be where all the traffic is. I also come in off of 8, so I can avoid College and Montezuma.

But I don't think that you can go wrong with the trolley either. You wouldn't be the only female student taking it, so I don't think you have to worry about your safety too much, especially since you are just going between SDSU and mission valley.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:57 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,399,512 times
And one last thing, isn't the trolley stop practically in the middle of campus? That would eliminate the hike from the outer fringes of the parking lots to the center of campus where your classes would be. So, you can hike to the Fenton trolley stop, or you can hike from the parking lot into campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego