Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2010, 03:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,052 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to the general area of San Diego hopefully by the end of the month. She took a job in La Jolla and we would like to stay somewhat close to the area, but don't mind driving a little. Maybe something around 30-35 minute drive would be the prefered maximum on average traffic. I was looking anywhere from Carlsbad to San Diego and would prefer to stay away from inland direction or south of San Diego (we have family in Orange County and would like to keep the drive somewhat down and easy for them).

Our preferences are for a place that is hopefully under $1400 a month, 2 bedroom (2 bathroom if possible, but not mandatory), something hopefully more along the 5 freeway, and have laundry facilities onsite (or even as part of the apartment would be even better).

Some of the areas I looked at, but only in a short amount of time I got to spend in the area was in Clairemont and UTC. I've had a limited time to look in person and everything I have seen online hasn't been consistent such as review sites, etc.

I was wondering if any of you out there that are more familiar with the area might have suggestions on places to try for. I tried Craigslist for a couple of apartments and condos for rent, but don't think any of the replies I got back were legitimate (they all had a similiar story of somebody working for a human relief organization and they had to rent out their place because they are in West Africa).

If anyone could offer advice, I would definitely appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 08:55 PM

159 posts, read 646,761 times
Might want to look at Scripps Ranch. My friend was renting a 2-2 condo for 1200 a month.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:05 PM

42 posts, read 131,160 times
Default Apartments

I lived in San Diego for only a year a absolutely love La Jolla and Carlsbad areas. We uses rent.com to search for places and found tons of choices there. Not sure if you want to buy something or rent but there are plenty of options to look at it on there. Also check out Archstone Apartments. That is where we rented and they are all over SD. The prices will vary depending on the availibility. Good luck to you and your family!

Old 01-07-2010, 10:16 PM

17 posts, read 40,169 times
I need to know more about you...

Up the 5 is...

DEL MAR
=====
Old money, one of the most expensive, small town feel, charming, not many rentals

SOLANA BEACH
=====
Also very expensive, a few rentals, also small town feel, a little more artsy than Del Mar

CARMEL VALLEY
======
Younger, more families, luxury apartment rentals, tract homes, east of Del Mar

ENCINITAS
=====
More middle class than the aforementioned, has more shopping than all three above combined (self sufficient given distance from SD), younger than Del Mar or Solana Beach, more affordable than aforementioned

CARLSBAD
======
more open space, lots of families, lots of tract homes and luxury apartments, shopping in Oceanside and Encinitas

Old 01-08-2010, 10:41 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,855,272 times
I'd say $1400 is average rate for a one bedroom in North County coastal...maybe more. I'm talking Encinitas to Carlsbad area.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:23 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,603,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechoson View Post
Might want to look at Scripps Ranch. My friend was renting a 2-2 condo for 1200 a month.
The commute from Scripps Ranch to La Jolla is rather considerable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego