Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 11:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,125 times

Advertisements

I have 12 grand saved up, and I have a few classes left till I graduate that I can complete online. Location doesn't matter in this way. My life dream has been to live in San Diego. I know the traditional route is to wait it out until I am more established financially, then move. But alas in reality the way it usually pans out is that by the time you are "established" you're too deep into your career/family whatever and stuck geographically. More to the point-I'm unhappy. I'm bored. I'm unfulfilled. I've never been further West than Chicago, as I've never had the money to travel. I need to get out of my bubble, and San Diego is where I want to start. I'm in my mid-twenties and still don't have any interesting stories, or notable experiences. I feel like I'm at a stage where I need to take a chance, because the status quo just isn't working.

I guess I am looking for some kind of a pat on the back here? Somebody to tell me I'm not a massive idiot who will inevitably be calling his parents in 6 months for a 1 way ticket home.

If anything about this post jumps out at you, by all means, tell me what you're thinking. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 01:57 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Well, you have saved up a decent enough amount of money. That will buy you 6 to 9 months to search for a job. The thing that jumps out to me about your post is you haven't said anything about what kind of jobs you will search for when you get here, and if your degree will open up any real career prospects. Also unmentioned, is whether or not you have a car and if it is paid for. You will really need a car so that you can be open to all potential job opportunities, and you need your car to be paid for so the 12k you have saved up will actually last the 6 to 9 months that it may take to get the job you need.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:28 AM

17 posts, read 61,782 times
As a mother, I'm going to tell you to go for it. Now is the time to try things, seek out new experiences, get out of your bubble. Really-what is the worst thing that could happen? You move, don't like it, or can't find a job-then you move home. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Old 12-19-2009, 09:48 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
Unless you have a real reason to move to San Diego, I'd pick a cheaper city with a better employment picture. San Diego may sound/look like 'heaven on earth' but it can be quite humbling when it comes to finding a place to live and getting a job.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:13 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
I wouldn't consider moving to San Diego "adventurous". Do something cooler with your money like travel overseas. San Diego is pretty dull in my book.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:28 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Another mother weighing in here.......

You have an opportunity to fulfill a life long dream. What are you waiting for? Sounds like a great idea!

Go, go, go..... and report back to us!

BTW, as far as your worse case scenario of having to call your folks and ask for a one-way ticket back home if things don't pan out..... That would hardly make you a "massive idiot" as you put it. It would make you someone who went for it and then decided to go another route.

The true worse case scenario, IMO, would be to have an opportunity to experience your life-long dream and let it pass you by.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:32 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,755 times
Worst case scenario, you spend your $12000 on a six month adventure and fulfill a life-long dream - that sounds like a pretty good worst case scenario!

If you do come, give yourself a couple of weeks to really explore the area before you decide where to settle down - the Gaslamp District downtown is a great place to live, but so are Pacific Beach, La Jolla, and Hillcrest - and they're all fairly close together - but each one is very different. You'll have a totally different experience depending on where you live!

Old 12-19-2009, 03:27 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,819 times
What cruitr said.What are your real reasons to move here if you don't have a job?It always confuses me when people want to move anywhere (esp SD) when they have no work to mirror an income.Plus it sounds like the OP has never been here.That just baffles me even more.

Personally I would never do such a thing but hey,I can't stop people from making (odd) decisions.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:51 PM

181 posts, read 466,100 times
My husband and I moved out here about 9 months ago, and couldn't be happier. We saved about as much as you, packed our things and moved from boring MN here it San Diego! I say... GO FOR IT. You can always move home or somewhere cheaper if things don't work out. But word of advice, maybe look for a roomate as rent can be quite high, and also take ANY job you can get... might have to find 2 part-time jobs because full-time is hard to come by right now. As long as you do that, you will make it out here.... Learn to surf, find an area to live that will fit your personality and just have fun! I definatley would come visit out here BEFORE you move, because it is hard to get an idea of the area until you are actually out here. I can give you a cheap reccomendation of hotel, and car rental if you would like. My husband and I came out here on like $800 for a week, had a rental car (are you old enough to rent a car?) that covered our hotel and plane tickets too... My mom just found $150 plane tickets last wednsday, so if you check expedia DAILY you will find a good plane ticket deal... Definatley visit first!!!! If you want recomendations on area's to live, send some more info about what kind of person you are? (artsy, partier, laid back, etc....)

Also what are you going to school for? Does San Diego have a need for your degree? If you put off school for a year, lots of colleges out here can be cheap compared to other area's in the country...

My husband and I were in your SAME situation, needed a life change and we don't regret a minute of it! Actually we found out we will be having a baby now too, which we have been trying for YEARS before moving out here, and now we will finally have our family... I think we were meant to be here.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 12-19-2009, 03:54 PM

171 posts, read 588,384 times
I did what the OP did when I was 18, but I am from San Diego and moved to New York. I'd never been there or anything, but I did have a job lined up. It was a good experience for me and sort of catapulted me into being an adult.

I also met my wife there, so you never know what will happen. Like some of the other people said, the worst case scenario is that you blow through your money and have to move back home.

I think every young adult goes into a phase where the place they live has no appeal and want to move somewhere else. I thought San Diego had nothing to offer me and wanted to move across the country to experience it. Now I look forward to the day where I can live in San Diego again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego