Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 07:25 PM

51 posts, read 209,128 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, im moving to San Diego in just about a year and a half from now. I dont have any jobs lined up or anything, and I know its hard to predict the economy's future, but is it even remotely possible to get a job there? I will be coming out with no less than $10,000 on me. I have found several appts. in ocean beach for $800/ month, which is affordable for awhile anyways. I dont care about what it looks like, but I will be living in OB, as people have said I cant afford it, but on craigslist there are $700-$800 apartments on there. I am in college for criminal justice and have been chatting with recruiters from the SDPD, as that is what I plan on doing once there. Do you guys think its possible for me to pull this off with $10,000 and a regular burger joint job for awhile until I join PD, and I should be set after that. I know it sounds like another kid dreaming right?, lol but I really want this and would do anything to be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 07:39 PM

15,130 posts, read 32,355,658 times
Just because your "chatting" with SDPD recruiters, doesn't mean that you're going to get in. Lots of people want into the SDPD, and don't make it. An apartment in OB for $700-$800 a month can be pretty crummy, it all depends on what part. Someone who knows OB better than I do can give you more advice.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:32 PM

I understand that I might not get in, but what I am asking is if it is worth it in your guys' opinion to come out there and try it. I am only 21, single, and sick of living in the sticks in Vermont where im from. I really want to be in San Diego, and I just have a hard time believing its really that hard to live there. If its really horribly expensive, then how come so many people live there now? I am just looking for advice because I really want to come down there. Even if I cant get into the PD, thats ok by me I will find something that I enjoy doing eventually

Old 07-11-2009, 09:33 PM

oh yea i almost forgot... im not picky at all about the apartment that I live in I would live in a little shack with holes in the wall and be happy, as long as its in a somewhat good neighborhood. From what I have heard OB is pretty safe place to be, so I would be happy with anything there

Old 07-11-2009, 09:35 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,497,401 times
Basically there are two ways people come to San Diego.

They either come with a job and money or they don't.

If you don't, you struggle. You live in a crappy apartment in a bad area or with bad neighbors. OB is full of drunks and druggies and a 700 dollar apartment probably means you they will be living next door. You just deal with it.

Are you prepared to live in a crappy apartment? If so, welcome.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:07 PM

25 posts, read 113,122 times
Hey! my husband, cousin, and I are doing the exact same thing..in exactly a year and a half..we are all moving to san diego with a good amount of savings and hoping for the best!...hey I say live while you can..if you dont go you will always regret it...at least its worth a shot..whats the worst that could happen..you move to san diego sign a 6 month lease (try for this..in case you totally bomb..thats what we are going to do!) and if you never find a job and have to go back home then at least you got to have an adventure and a 6 month vacation in your favorite place...sounds good to me! Hey i hope we all make it in san diego! good luck!

Old 07-12-2009, 12:24 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,486,651 times
Give it a shot. You're only 21. At your age you can do things like this.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:47 AM

23 posts, read 59,432 times
Who told you OB was safe? People get killed and/or raped there constantly. Wait until you actually bcome a cop.... you'll spend plenty of time there. Remember that Australan that was beaten to a bloody pulp by hobos there lat year? I rest my case. Also, I saw people doing crack in an alley when I stupidly let a friend take me to a party there. My car stereo was missing too. And its expensive! For $700 you probably are renting out a room just behind a crackhouse. Don't do it. Stick to PB, it's slightly better. OB is ghetto.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:21 AM

284 posts, read 1,017,300 times
If it encourages you at all, I came out here with about that much and no job lined up and did fine. My biggest piece of advice is to hit the streets from day one and don't stop until you find a job that can pay your bills! You should also have an exit plan in case you begin to get over your head and still haven't found a job. Which means considering a place that's month to month or a short lease commitment. Even if the first job you're offered doesn't cover your monthly expenses, take it as it's better than paying bills completely from your savings every month!! It will buy you time. Also, keep in mind that utilities are much cheaper here than most places due to the fact that you won't need to run heat or air. My gas and electric usually adds up to all over $25 vs. $150-200 in Michigan! That definitely puts the rent in perspective. If you'd like any other tips feel free to message me privately!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: