Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 09:53 PM

70 posts, read 249,629 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are finally going to make the leap and have narrowed down our list of cities for our upcoming move. I live in NYC, am late 20's, and have read a lot about North Park & University Heights as a hip (and less expensive) place to live in SD.

Is North Park really walkable? What are the streets closest to the restaurants/cafes/stores?

I'm looking at rentals on Craigslist, and would like to set up appointments to look at apts while we finalize if SD is our #1 choice. Can anyone recommend a few streets to zero in on, that are actually within walking distance of the main drag in NP?

We will have a car if/when we move there, but would like the option of walking sometimes.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 10:44 PM

190 posts, read 705,702 times
Yup, North Park along with almost all the neighborhoods surrounding Balboa Park(University Heights, Hillcrest, Normal Heights, etc) is the most walkable part of San Diego. Hillcrest was even voted as one of the top ten walkable neighborhoods in the nation in 2007 by the American Planning Association.

It won't be anything like New York(downtown sd is much closer to that), but the quality of life is relatively slower pace, especially in University Heights. Main drags are 30th St and University Avenue for North Park, and Park Boulevard for University Heights.

What's your budget? That way, we can be more specific of what kind of streets you are looking for as it can vary in some places.

Last edited by ranzchic; 03-24-2009 at 11:31 PM..

Old 03-24-2009, 10:58 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,517,103 times
North Park is the most walkable area aside from Hillcrest, but it does depend on where exactly you are ... North Park is a big area and there is still a lot of stuff that is not really worth walking to. Generally speaking the best place to be is south of 30th and University and just east or west of 30th (west is better). Most of the new restaurants are on 30th between Upas and University. That area also gives you good proximity to Morley Field.

University Heights has basically one small commercial district at the North End of park and beyond that, not much worth walking to. Still it is a charming area. If walkability is truly important to you I think you should also look at Normal Heights which has slightly more useful commercial choices if a bit less upscale than the others. South Park is similar to University Heights but has a slightly more indie / funky / underground vibe.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:11 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,582,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
North Park is the most walkable area aside from Hillcrest, but it does depend on where exactly you are ... North Park is a big area and there is still a lot of stuff that is not really worth walking to. Generally speaking the best place to be is south of 30th and University and just east or west of 30th (west is better). Most of the new restaurants are on 30th between Upas and University. That area also gives you good proximity to Morley Field.

University Heights has basically one small commercial district at the North End of park and beyond that, not much worth walking to. Still it is a charming area. If walkability is truly important to you I think you should also look at Normal Heights which has slightly more useful commercial choices if a bit less upscale than the others. South Park is similar to University Heights but has a slightly more indie / funky / underground vibe.
Very true.(Plus one to Sass's rep)

Old 03-25-2009, 05:24 PM

4,545 posts, read 12,424,532 times
I agree with the excellent posts of Sass and Ranzchic. I suspect your information about University Heights probably came from some of my earlier posts.

As Sassberto said the commercial heart of the North Park area is University & 30th Street. This area used to have all of the classic signs of urban decay with thrift stores and vacant storefronts. Some of that is still there, but it also has been revitalized and a lot more commercial activity is happening there than in the past. It is definitely an area on the upswing.

What I will add to their very fine posts, is that Hillcrest is within walking distance of University Heights via the Vermont Street pedestrian bridge. Yes, getting into the heart of Hillcrest is a hike, but it is within walking distance.

Additionally, if you choose the North Park/South Park area, your best choices will be in the streets east of Balboa Park to the 805. Oddly, what you would think would be called East Park, is actually the intersection of North and South Park.

The less desirable part of North Park is between University Avenue and El Cajon Boulevard from Park Boulevard to the 805 freeway. That is the land of the Huffman Hovel.

North Park, north of El Cajon Boulevard retains more of its single family home character, however, there really aren't any neighborhood serving cafes/stores/businesses worth walking to.

North Park north of Adams Avenue is charming like University Heights, but it has even less of a commercial area to visit.

If UH or NP don't work out for you, definitely consider Normal Heights. It's commercial area is quite extensive. It would be better if it were a little bit more upscale, but it's decent, and has great potential for the future.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:13 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,778,445 times
Normal Heights is fine the way it is, not every neighborhood has to be so upscale to be appreciated. It's probably the last really cool little neighborhood left in SD that hasn't been changed up by fancy people/ or torn apart by developers. If you like coffe shops, Le Stats off Adams Ave, it's the best place for coffe and socializing with others. Some of the people at Le Stats are a mix crowd. You have a mixture of outsiders, run away kids, college kids, intellectuals, hippys, some snobs, indie crowd, and so on.

BTW why would you come from NY to SD?I want to go to NY so bad. It's going to be a huge change culturally and people wise, a lot NYCER'S have made the trip to SD, hopefully you'll like it here, just don't expect NY in SD.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:04 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,757,668 times
You've gotten some great input from SD's urban experts so far. As sdlife619 said, just don't expect to find NYC in SD.

That said, North Park has probably changed (for the better, IMO) the most among SD's urban neighborhoods. As others have said, the center of NP is at University and 30th St. Many clubs and restaurants have opened up recently, putting more people on the streets, especially on weekend nights. What's great is that it's all locals, no tourists!

A couple North Park links worth checking out:

NORTH PARK SCENE ~ what's doing

North Park News! and South Park and Adams Avenue in San Diego

Only in North Park can you have a Snuggie Pub Crawl! - Snuggie Pub Crawl (http://video.signonsandiego.com/vmix_hosted_apps/p/media?id=3454222 - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619
Normal Heights is fine the way it is, not every neighborhood has to be so upscale to be appreciated. It's probably the last really cool little neighborhood left in SD that hasn't been changed up by fancy people/ or torn apart by developers. If you like coffe shops, Le Stats off Adams Ave, it's the best place for coffe and socializing with others. Some of the people at Le Stats are a mix crowd. You have a mixture of outsiders, run away kids, college kids, intellectuals, hippys, some snobs, indie crowd, and so on.
I agree with you for the most part. I'm in Kensington, and Normal Heights is definitely cool neighbor to have. I just wish some of the businesses would put on a fresh coat of paint to freshen things up.

The Adams Ave corridor is becoming quite the destination on it's own, and is definitely a mixture of all of the types of people you mentioned above. I love it!!

Old 03-26-2009, 01:29 AM

190 posts, read 705,702 times
The only downside(or upside?) I can see with North Park is that you only get easy/walking access to less grand parts of Balboa Park, around Morley Field. This can be considered a good thing though, because it's mostly local people whereas western Balboa Park is crawling with tourists.

Make no mistake, the parks and fields are still top notch and they are plentiful, but it's not as pretty as crossing the Cabrillo Bridge, sorry! I love having easy access to the dog park and El Prado. I ride my bike there with my dogs every single day.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:32 PM

Thanks Everyone! Your responses are great.

I've lived in NYC my whole life and am sick of the pace, competitiveness, and gloominess. NY is great for a lot of people, but I'm hoping SD can offer a slower pace with beautiful surroundings, the possibility of someday owning a home, room for growth. I have read that San Diegio is pricier than other parts of the country, but coming from NY I'm not sure I'll have sticker shock.

I'm going to look on Craigs List for Normal Heights. I'm hoping to find a 1-Bedroom for $850-$1100.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:09 AM

What's the job market like in San Diego. I'm not moving until September, but I started looking at job listings online and I'm on page 3 and all I've seen are Engineering positions. Will I find work if I'm not an Engineer?

My husband has his MFA in Fine Art and currently teaches art to K-8 graders. I'm in Marketing for trade publications and trade exhibitions. I would like to continue to work in the publishing field.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego