Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 11:22 PM

178 posts, read 601,974 times

Advertisements

I have read that the public schools in Carlsbad are excellent, but can anyone share a first hand opinion about the Catholic school in Carlsbad? Or the one in Encinitas? Any insight about the parishes?

And what about the high schools? I have read that Carlsbad HS is great and that La Costa HS has a gorgeous campus but is full of 'spoiled' kids with too much money and overbearing parents trying to run the school. What about the HS in northern Encinitas... San Diegulito (sp??)?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 10:37 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
Ugh, another thread about how spoiled the kids at La Costa Canyon are, while those who live 10 miles away at Carlsbad High are totally different. (sigh)

Old 12-23-2008, 11:14 AM

63 posts, read 283,420 times
Exactly.

Both schools have great kids, and both schools have rotten kids. Both schools have great teachers, and both have horrible teachers. Both schools have wealthy families, and both have poor families.

LCC happens to be part of the San Dieguito High School District, which has four very good schools. LCC also happens to have the Division 1 champion football program, champion volleyball program, nationally ranked debate team, etc.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:34 PM

Well that's why I asked! Not being from the area, I am quite limited in my sources of information. It just so happens that when I researched the schools on this site and on the greatschools site, I found numourous posts indicating a discrepancy between the high schools. Instead of expressing your frustration at my question, enlighten me! Where is this reputation coming from? Do you have any specific info for me? As to my Catholic school question, any insight there?

Sheesh- I'm trying to get facts, not judgement.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:47 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztoga View Post
Well that's why I asked! Not being from the area, I am quite limited in my sources of information. It just so happens that when I researched the schools on this site and on the greatschools site, I found numourous posts indicating a discrepancy between the high schools. Instead of expressing your frustration at my question, enlighten me! Where is this reputation coming from? Do you have any specific info for me? As to my Catholic school question, any insight there?

Sheesh- I'm trying to get facts, not judgement.
I know EXACTLY what you are talking about Aztoga. When I first read your question this morning, I honestly thought, "wow, this could be coming from me as I have the EXACT same questions". I have been looking to relocate from NE OH to San Diego, specifically either Carlsbad or Encinitas for a few years now. I have several older children who have either graduated from college or are about to graduate from college. The younger kids are in high school or in Catholic K-8 school here; that's why we have similiar questions. Yes, I also want to know if there are spoiled, rich, white-bread world types who are going to be a bad influence on my kids (is this the majority or the minority)? I'm not naive enough to think that ALL are in this situation; but like you, I would also like to know the subtle differences between the schools and the "culture" within each of them. I'd like to know if the plastic types are a majority or minority. I read that some schools in San Marcos are very good too. Test scores listed on certain websites don't tell the whole story; that's why it's so helpful and valuable if locals would chime in with relevant information.

Last edited by Donna7; 12-23-2008 at 04:30 PM..

Old 12-23-2008, 04:01 PM

Thank you Donna7! I appreciate your backup. My four kids have spent most of their time in a Catholic k-8 school but now are in public schools. My oldest will be going into 8th grade. Big decisions to make. A move will be difficult enough- even if it is to a beautiful place like Carlsbad- so if I can somehow ease the transition into school then I'm going to just keep asking questions. Hopefully someone will be able to help us sort this out.

By the way, as for San Marcos... I have been reading posts regarding real estate and it doesn't seem like there is a very favorable vibe there. Not sure what that is about, but something to consider.

When would you be making your move? We might be on our way as soon as next month but hopefully not until summer.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:17 PM

16 posts, read 59,682 times
Hi,
My family lives in Olde Carlsbad. We moved here from a master-planned community, La Costa Valley in South Carlsbad, in 2001. We have several neighbors who have children attending St. Patrick's here in Olde Carlsbad. They love the school! I would characterize the area as a little more "down to earth," in my opinion, than the area, and the families, attending St. John's in Encinitas. My particular street has $1 million dollar plus custom homes mixed with older homes (some have original residents who moved into their homes when they were new in the 1950s!), with a true neighborhood feel. Don't judge a street because it has a few run down homes (we almost did, and I am glad I managed to look beyond it). There are truly some terrific people here, yes, they may drive pickup trucks -- but these will be the same people who will take your dog inside (and board up the hole in your fence!) after he escapes on the 4th of July (happened to us) or give your kids fudgesicles when they help an elderly neighbor with the trash cans. This area has much less turnover, and more heart, than the newer neighborhoods we moved from. As far as high schools, we have one neighbor who moved here because she wanted to transfer from LCC to Carlsbad High for the reasons you mentioned. She felt that LCC had a lot of wealthy kids who used drugs while both their parents worked to pay for it all. Carlsbad High is a little more diverse economically, and racially. Carlsbad High is due for a huge remodel over the next few years. There is also a new high school scheduled to be built in central, east Carlsbad near Palomar Airport Road. We are anticipating Carlsbad High will get a little less crowded and have nicer facilities in the near future.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:37 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztoga View Post
Thank you Donna7! I appreciate your backup. My four kids have spent most of their time in a Catholic k-8 school but now are in public schools. My oldest will be going into 8th grade. Big decisions to make. A move will be difficult enough- even if it is to a beautiful place like Carlsbad- so if I can somehow ease the transition into school then I'm going to just keep asking questions. Hopefully someone will be able to help us sort this out.

By the way, as for San Marcos... I have been reading posts regarding real estate and it doesn't seem like there is a very favorable vibe there. Not sure what that is about, but something to consider.

When would you be making your move? We might be on our way as soon as next month but hopefully not until summer.
I'll be in San Diego the first week of February for business and to spend a week on my own checking San Diego, specifically Carlsbad out. It's good to try to feel the "vibe" in the community. I'm also going to check out the Catholic School in Carlsbad (St. Patrick's) and the Catholic School in Encinitas, St. John. I've heard a lot of good feedback about St. John. If we do move in 2009, I would hope to do it before the kids start school in the Fall. I'll PM you with more info. Wishing all happy holidays!

Old 12-23-2008, 04:42 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,235,498 times
I agree about St. Patrick's being a nice school, I went there briefly years ago when I was younger. I'm sure things have changed since then but it was a good school with good teachers, and a terrific Catholic atmosphere.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:41 PM

63 posts, read 283,420 times
Ok... Both Catholic schools have decent reputations.

If you're actually worried about your kids being around mostly white kids, you would be probably happier in San Marcos, Vista, Oceanside, or Escondido. They are all more "diverse" than Carlsbad, and certainly more than Encinitas, although our youngest attends LCC with quite a few hispanics, and it's a non-issue. All, and I mean ALL high schools have a drug & alcohol problem. Actually, virtually all middle schools do as well. Sorry, but that's reality. Doesn't matter if in Ohio or California.

It's always amusing to see folks try to prove which is better; Carlsbad or Encinitas. They have very different vibes to them, and you have to choose which you prefer. We spent many great years in "olde" Carlsbad, and have been in Encinitas for the past 10 years. In my experience, Carlsbad is more "provincial", more inwardly focused, and far more pro-growth than Encinitas. Not that Encinitas doesn't have it's share of cheesy tract houses like found those throughout much of Carlsbad. A lot of folks like that planned, structured environment. If that's your style, you'll love Carlsbad. Carlsbad also seems to have far more out of state transplants, with Encinitas more of a local's community. Again, this is anecdotal based on living here 30 years...

Encinitas has a choice of four very good high schools to choose from, plus the new Catholic high school (Cathedral) is close by. The new Carlsbad high school won't be built and ready for several years. Interesting, La Costa Canyon is actually in Carlsbad. Carlsbad was too cheap to build a high school where it was needed, so San Dieguito High School District built LCC. Carlsbad kids go to either San Marcos High, LCC, or Carlsbad High. You do not have a choice, it's based on your residence location. One city, three different high school districts. Intradistrict transfers are rarely if ever granted.

Finally, I know of few people that would move from "olde" Carlsbad to one of the newer developments. When we wanted a large custom home on a horse property, Carlsbad was out of consideration. Simply doesn't exist. We knew we didn't want to be in a tract house on a tiny lot, with a homeowners association. Our choices were Encinitas or Rancho Santa Fe. We chose Encinitas, and it's been a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego