Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2006, 11:48 PM

2 posts, read 8,284 times

Advertisements

Hello, my fiance recently got a job offer from a company located in Scripps Ranch and I recently started a new job in Long Beach and am obligated to work at this job for two years. However, my fiance and I are planning to get married by next spring. He already has a place in Scripps Ranch.

How long would it take to commute from Scripps Ranch to Long Beach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2006, 09:30 AM

107 posts, read 721,140 times
According to Mapquest you are looking at a 2 hour, 106 mile commute each way between San Diego and Long Beach. The time variable will be traffic congestion in Orange County during rush hours.
With current gas prices, you'll have to balance a 200 mile a day, 4 -5 hour commute with living arrangements convenience. Good luck.

Old 06-15-2006, 10:07 AM

59 posts, read 649,657 times
I live near by to Scripps, that is going to be one heck of a commute, is that everyday or can you work from home a few days out of the week? I almost had a job in Irvine which isn't as far but I could drive to Oceanside and take the train up to save on wear and tear and gas so that might be an option too. Going up the 15 (North) you should be OK but once you hit the 78 west your going to hit traffic. Then up the 5, again OK, until you reach San Juan Capistrano or Mission Viejo and the traffic starts up again. It really wont let up until Long Beach...Another option is take the 73 which is toll freeway and cuts out some of the busiest sections. It starts at around Mission Viejo cuts out the 5 and 405 split section so you come out around Costa Mesa but I'm not sure on traffic or tolls.

Good Luck...

Old 08-21-2006, 05:35 PM

601 posts, read 1,452,820 times
I went to CSU Long Beach and grew up in Mira Mesa. When I would leave my gf's house in Scripps Ranch it would take me a little over 90 minutes to get to my Long Beach townhouse. If you take the 73 toll fwy at Mission Viejo to Costa Mesa, you can shave about 15-20 minutes off that.

From Scripps Ranch:

- 15 north
- Ted Williams Pkwy 56 fwy west
- 5 north
- 73 toll fwy till it ends
- 405 north
- exit 7th Street (Long Beach)

Last edited by bigdaddy5; 08-21-2006 at 05:47 PM..

Old 08-28-2006, 07:25 PM

360 posts, read 1,533,940 times
Exclamation I hope you love your car!

I'd think long and hard about that kind of commute. I couldn't do it. Orange County can be a commuter's nightmare. I live North of Scripps by about 8 miles and wouldn't dream of commuting even to Tustin.

Old 08-29-2006, 03:54 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,437,080 times
Just 5 months ago I was living on Rancho Bernardo (farther North than Scripps) and commuting to Irvine (much further south than Long Beach, especially when you factor in traffic which is brutal near Long Beach).

I did this for 7 months and it was tough....

Perhaps if I was 20 mins closer in say Carlsbad, I could of done it longer. I have friends that commute from Carlsbad to Irvine daily, and they seem to do ok.

If you had to commute from Scripps to Long Beach once or twice a week, that may be doable.....but not every day. If you did, you would tear your car to shreds inside of a year (35k miles a year?)

If you really found a great job in Long Beach, then you ought to seriously look at living somewhere like South OC. South OC is extremely nice and cost about the same as what your looking at in Scripps. Crime is also very low and schools there are top notch.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:07 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,437,080 times
In addition to bigdaddy5's direction, I would also note that you can go North 15 to the 78, then take 78 west to the 5 and come out way north up in Oceanside. On a good day with light traffic, this would probably take you 35 mins from Scripps Ranch. When I used to drive to Irvine, I always considered this my 1/2 point because the drive from Oceanside to San Juan Capistrano was almost free (gorgeous stretch of freeway along the ocean). Then, you'd hit Mission Viejo traffic and come to a screeching halt for about 30 more mins.

But....

Since your going to Long Beach, you could avoid the South OC traffic (i.e. Mission Viejo) all together by taking the tol road bigdaddy5 described.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego