Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 08:40 PM

141 posts, read 286,935 times

Advertisements

I have been reading this thread.......... for a while. You know god might be telling you he wants you there. I would not want to be homeless in san diego or anywhere for that matter. San Diego is looking at alot of changes next year and it is only going to get more conservative that it is. The unemployment rate is at 8.9% so.............think twice about it, no where is good right now, canada might at least feed you if the world comes apart, I don't see that happening here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 08:49 PM

1,042 posts, read 2,172,558 times
Hey JustJulia!

Thanks for joing the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
1. Please reconsider sleeping in a shelter or eating at a soup kitchen. It sounds like you scorn charity, but remember that we are supposed to love and comfort one another. People tithe at church, contribute to charities, and volunteer at soup kitchens for a reason ... to help people in need. It gets frustrating for some who perceive that a lot of the people asking for help aren't doing much to help themselves. This is clearly not who you are, and not only do I genuinely think you should seek real food and shelter without a moment's guilt, I would bet that an overwhelming majority of people would be happy to help you. That's what we're supposed to do. We're not supposed to look down on you ... don't look down on people who take the hand that is offered to them in love and peace.
JustJulia...it would take a while for me to explain my reasons for not wanting to go to a shelter or eat a soup kitchen fully but let me just say this as a shortened version.

First off...it does not set a good example for others. Paul the apostle said as much regarding how he worked for the everything he needed. I want to follow his example in this. How can I encourage those I might meet at such places to work for their own needs and stop hiding behind their excuses if I am not willing to do the same thing? Truth is...I can't.

Secondly...and this secondly is not neccessarily second...it could be first ...many missions have veered away from their founders heart attitude of wanting to truly help others. Instead they have become this money making enterprise clothed in religious garb. Many treat people like dirt. I speak from experience. I have been to such places before. I speak against such unChristian places! Can you imagine Jesus going to the Pharisees and asking them if they could help Him find a place to lay His head for the night? Something doesn't sit right with me about that.

Thirdly...and again this isn't neccessarily in order...many such places have become substitutes for our personal involvement. Jesus never said to give to others who will in turn give of themselves to meet pressing needs. Jesus said for US to love others. That's you and me. To open our homes and lives to those in need among us.

We don't do that today. We give a pittance to organizations that do the "loving" for us while we live smugly in our comfortable homes watching TV.

I think Jesus would have some very strong words indeed against the North American version of Chrsitianity as it is practiced by those who call themselves Christians.

I hope that makes sense.

Regarding the payment of taxes...thanks for the encouragement JustJulia. I do not work under the table. Though I am to be sure a bit late with some tax returns...to my shame. Something I hope to catch up on. I keep records of every penny I make and have every intention of reporting it.

Some other things have occupied my time as of late

Carlos

Old 12-06-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrescue View Post
You know god might be telling you he wants you there.
Perhaps. I am certainly open to remaining if that is His will. Though I much prefer to be in warmer weather.

Unless the Lord gives me clear direction...either through my circumstances or through the Bible...I believe I have liberty to do whatever I wish to do. It's kinda like which color of shoe to get.

If I like brown shoes God gives me liberty to get brown shoes. I am willing to wear whatever color shoes the Lord wants me to wear but since He has not indicated to me that I should wear some other color of shoes...well...I have liberty to get brown ones.

Likewise I like warmer climates and living in them. Since He has not indicated that He wants me to continue up here or go South...I have liberty to do either one. Regardless of where I am, He would have me live a life surrendered to His will.

Today I was thinking about this some and it struck me that...if I have the chance to get a place up here and be indoors vs only being able to sneak around and camp out in San Diego...then...I must remain here. I cannot legally camp in San Diego proper. They have an ordinance against what they call...illegal camping. Aside from whether such an ordinance is good or not...what I am thinking of doing IS illegal in San Diego proper. Not a good thing for me to be doing given that God wants me to be obedient to governing authorities whenever I can be.

So, at this point, if I don't find a way to live in San Diego legally...I will stay put here or go where I can live my alternative lifestyle in a legal if not a culturally acceptable manner.

It may still be possible for me to camp out legally in areas outside San Diego proper. I need to check into that. I don't intend to camp out permanently. Only till I can afford another truck to live in.

Carlos

Old 12-06-2008, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 4,534 times
Default Responding to Carlos

I admire your adventurous spirit...I too want out of the cold...& it is more cost effective to live the way you are...think of people in other countries...we don't judge those in poverty countries...for "having" to move from place to place to get food...

All of our family generations had to start out that way....our recent generations in North America are spoiled in the land of opportunity...

My great grandparents had to move based on job availability....guess what...look around people....

For those that have...tend to get very narrow minded and have blinders on....too bad we all aren't required during out youth to do mission work...to truly understand those who don't have...

but...now I am talking about those who choose not to have "things"...Things make us slaves to just that....something always has to be repaired...it is hard enough to keep your health up, let alone a car repair...house, utilities...

Not everyone has the mental capacity to learn...to get the big bucks...it is the land of opportunity and freedom to choose...

I want to hear your update...if you would not mind sharing. Just don't ask me personal questions.

kettlepot had great postings from San Diego and surrounding areas...

Old 12-06-2008, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 4,534 times
Carlos...you have been posting for a while...has anyone from the SD area given you the contact information for the laws and maybe local authorities....or hey someone mail his friend a phone book so he can do the research to make an informed decision...

Also beings that you are a man of Faith...anyone want to give him the information about local church groups...

With all your resourcefulness and if the jobless rate is high maybe he can help others with his life experience...and the way you have hope and encouraging words...you would be a great person for those who are truly downtrodding...

its just finding the right connection.....

Make the list, be detailed....

Hope someone gets more information for you....

Do you actually have that much stuff? Is the truck that important to you at this point. If the Canadian Salvation Army has that going on ...does your destination have the same service...if you leave with your vehicle all that way....my experience has been it will let you know every little repair it needs on the way....

and if you get stuck in some strange town because of your truck repairs....it was not your choice and then dealing with the laws and people in the area...

anyhow....keep the faith...don't let life distract you from focusing on God through Grace

I would hate to try and troudge through the winter trying to find work...

Old 12-06-2008, 01:59 PM

Hi Journey2Life,

My comments follow below those of yours I wanted to comment on....

You know as long as people here keep interacting with me over this...I will keep posting. I really like interacting on forums so given that this is something I enjoy, I hope you all will bear with a bit more of my meandering comments . It's one of the few things that I can enjoy just now and it does help me to feel somewhat connected to the human race though of course, not everyone sees eye to eye with me on things. But that's okay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by journey2life View Post
Carlos...you have been posting for a while...has anyone from the SD area given you the contact information for the laws and maybe local authorities....or hey someone mail his friend a phone book so he can do the research to make an informed decision...
No. No one gave me the phone number. I got a chance to get on the Internet again yesterday (or was it the day before) and looked it up for myself. Even gave them a call. The police lady I talked with sure didn't sound like the mean-spirited, rude, abusive type of police person that some here said would run me out of town .

She did tell me it was illegal to just put up a tent near some bush and sleep in it overnight. It's some ordinance against supposedly illegal camping. I'll have to look it up and see if there are some loopholes . Such ordinances are really kind of ironic since the Earth and all that is in it is the Lord's. Maybe He should create some law against city hall being built on his turf and come down hard on those who don't even recognize the rightful Creator and owner of all that we have been given. But He is merciful and compassionate. I just wish that persons in authority had a bit more of that.

Today I bought a Wendy's meal for a homeless guy that was hanging around the door of where I am accessing the Internet from. I had to do something. I mean how I could justify doing nothing and passing by when I have been so hurt on seeing so many, even of my so-called brethren (or those who call themselves Christians) pass by and do absolutely nothing to even offer to help me in any way, shape, or form. Not that I ask but there have been plenty that have known of my situation and have done absolutely nothing. Nada. Zippo. Not even to encourage me or say a word of kindness to me to help me keep up my spirits. Thank God that He has encouraged me to no end through what I have been reading. I wish I had time to write down everything the Lord is doing as I continue to walk by faith.

But...getting back to the homeless guy. The business owner came out while I was talking to the homeless guy and proceeded to ask if I was experiencing any trouble. Long story, short...the guy had been banned from coming to the Tim Horton's where I was. For good reason mind you.

So me and him proceeded to talk some more on the sidewalk. From what he told me, he was barred from going to the city mission too because he got into a fight there. Someone stole his duffel bag and he saw the person he got into a fight with wearing some of his clothes. Instead of understanding the situation and perhaps trying to talk things through, the mission - that so-called bastion of human decency in the face of need...well...sumarily passed judgment in the wink of an eye and booted him out. Into the cold.

So this guy is out on the street. Literally. I can only begin to imagine what that must be like. Every year a few freeze to death around here.

Mind you...that is only his side of the story but based on my experiences with such places and things I have seen with my own eyes...it is not beyond belief.

Jesus would not have done such a thing.

Having said that I can fully understand the concern of the business owner in not wanting to encourage a bunch of homeless people to congregate outside the door of his business and beg. This man was not asking for money at the time I talked to him. I got out of my seat and went out and talked to him. But he was placed in such a way that it was pretty obvious that he was either panhandling or waiting for a hand out.

Perhaps the best solution overall is for no one to give such persons any money. Ever! That just encourages wrong behaviour. I never give money to homeless persons. But at the same time I believe we should help one another according to our needs. With all that we have. Just as Jesus would have done. A tough balancing act but I think it lies within the power of us all, but especially of Christians I think, to take one homeless person at a time aside and get to know them a bit.

You don't know what an encouragement it is to have somebody, sometimes anybody, say hi and ask how you are doing. To show some degree of care. Even if by doing nothing more than buying someone a sandwich and letting them know that God loves them.

Quote:
Also beings that you are a man of Faith...anyone want to give him the information about local church groups...
I appreciate the thought Journey2Life but quite frankly I am utterly and completed disgusted with those who I call churchians. Persons who go to a Sunday building once a week and then live for themselves the rest of the week. Like the rich man having his fill while Lazarus eats the droppings from his table...many churchians live life merrily while the rest of humanity grovels about to receive the meager droppings that drop from their table.

I know that may sound harsh but I have seen things and experienced things that have turned my stomach regarding so-called Christians. For the most part Churches are useless in truly coming alongside to help someone according to their real need. It is one thing to give a pittance to some soup kitchen and to perhaps even volunteer there once in a while. It is quite another to get involved personally in knowing someone and finding out how best to help him or her out of one's own means.

Churchians are great at the former. When Christ would have them do the latter!

I recall once several years ago when I found myself in need again. I was so sick I thought I was going to die. No biggie mind you as I have often wanted to leave this world and enter into the next where there will be no more pain, and sorrow, and hurt. I know I have been forgiven. That I am loved by God and will end up in heaven.

But I was really sick. Could not work. It was bitterly cold and I was sleeping in my truck. At that time I had not yet learned to survive well during a winter in my truck and was sleeping in the cold.

One day, in addition to being super sick with something like the flu, I woke up with an eye infection that shut my eye. I went to an emergency room and never got in after waiting around something like 8 hours. I then went to a clinic and even though there were something like 20 people ahead of me in line they put me right in. I must have looked like death warmed over.

I was given a prescription but did not have enough money to fill it. $12 and some odd cents to be exact.

That night I went to sleep in my truck again and woke up the next morning with both eyes infected and shut. I managed to open them by ripping the dried puss off the lids.

Well...I went around to four different "Christian" leaders and asked them if they knew of anyone within the Church that could help me with my prescription. That I would even pay them back. No one knew of anyone. And none even offered to perhaps help me fill it themselves. I had the prescription with me. I knew that I could make one call to social services and that it would be filled but I wanted to give glory to God and I told them so.

That night I went to be among my friends at a soup kitchen. While I railled against the hypocrites among so-called Christians, an acquaintance who was kinda mental but a nice guy nevertheless offered to loan me the money.

I accepted his loan, got the prescription, and paid back the money and some besides within a week.

I never forgot that. Christ died for our sins and these so-called brethren of mine were not even willing to lend me $12 DOLLARS! I had even heard one of the "Christian" leaders talk up a storm in a sermon about how we need to love one another a few days before.

The above is from what I recall and my memory of the events that transpirred may not be 100% but it essentially happened as I have described it. I have it all in my journal which I just don't have in front of me just now.

So regarding Churches...they are nice for singing and putting on Christmas plays and perhaps even for going around caroling but they are next to useless for truly helping those in need according to their real need. They tend to lump everyone together as a down and outer and treat you like second class citizens when you are in need. Or don't even bother getting to know you enough to minister to your true need as Jesus would have done.

I once even tried to start a bible study at a soup kitchen but couldn't. To do so I would have had to abide by their policy of not associating as friends with those they "minister" to. How could I do that? I couldn't if I was going to be like Christ to the people going there.

Like I said...Churches (that institutional thing that has come to be associated with what Jesus Christ began but that is nothing like He intended) tend to disgust me and I would rather die than go to one to let them know I am in need only to be treated like some bum or to be deemed a person in need (and not a brother in Christ) deserving of whatever meager bread crumbs they are willing to hand out to me.

God has been faithful to take care of me without my needing to go around asking people for help. Not that asking for help is beyond me. But I am not going to be allow myself to become an object of pity to placate the conciences of those who are unwilling to give up their lives in service to God.

Quote:
With all your resourcefulness and if the jobless rate is high maybe he can help others with his life experience...and the way you have hope and encouraging words...you would be a great person for those who are truly downtrodding...
Ironically I do find that I am able to befriend those in need and be accepted as one of their own more readily than I am usually able to connect with those who are relatively well to do in this life. Not that I can't connect with the well-to-do mind you. I can. It's just that often the people who are the most real are those who have nothing left. They can't hide their failings and you either accept them as they are, such that they are willing to be your friend, or you do not. They are in turn very accepting of me too. And that acceptance can be an enriching thing.

I would rather be among the poor and downtrodden who are real than with those persons who are relatively wealthy and who, although being as frail in their humanity as anyone else, hide behind false fronts.

Quote:
Do you actually have that much stuff?
Yeah...I got quite a bit left (though I already gave a bunch away). Laser printer, dolly, Canon S5 IS camera and accessories, games, CD's, all kinds of manly tools, 12 volt cigarette lighter plugable stove, and lots more. I even have a bottle of Chilean wine (never opened) that was given to me as a gift . I got's to figure out some way to sell it all.

At least the stuff that is not worth taking with me.

I don't know if I mentioned this before but where I live one can carry things like boxes of gifts and such on the LRT. People are allowed to carry all kinds of things. So I have discussed (with bus drivers) taking one Rubbermaid container of my stuff on the subway (LRT) at a time and sitting down with a sign hanging off the box saying something like "Moving to San Diego. Everything in box for sale. Ask me for a look see!". I would not be doing anything illegal. And they can't stop me taking a box along for the ride. Who knows...maybe I will be able to sell my stuff that way. One bus driver even said that might make an interesting human interest story . Can you see some newspaper reporter sitting there with his camera at the ready...waiting to see if someone will actually buy anything from me. Of course if it got into the paper I think my stuff would sell in a heartbeat.

I also thought of this...they allow musicians to play in subway stations here. So...I can go with one of my boxes and sitting on it sing "Fa, la, la...doe, re, me" over and over again until someone, in response to a sign again hanging off my box, asked me for a look see. At which time I will take a break and...well...hopefully sell them something. That was just an idea though. I don't know if I am that desperate to sell my stuff LOL. I mean that would take some...well...chezpa I think is the word.

Quote:
Is the truck that important to you at this point.
Not really. It doesn't sound like you have read the rest of this thread (understandable given that it is getting so long) but my truck is broke and cannot any longer be insured. It's done for. But it looks like I will get $1000 for it from the insurance company of a guy who smashed into me a couple of months ago .

Quote:
If the Canadian Salvation Army has that going on ...does your destination have the same service...
I'm looking into that. If I can't figure out a way to come to San Diego and live legally there I will have to try for Orlando or maybe Phoenix (until it gets too hot and I will have to move again). I know Orlando but it's a whopping 5 days away by bus. Still...I can get rent a room in Orlando for $50 a week. Lot's of people can use the extra $200 a month. And there is no state income tax! Don't know what I will do quite yet but I got's to make a decision quick. I can continue sleeping in my truck until Dec 15th only.

Quote:
anyhow....keep the faith...don't let life distract you from focusing on God through Grace
You can say that again! If it wasn't for my relationship with the living God I would probably have become just another homeless bum living on the street or more likely would have just killed myself (since even apart from Christ I don't think I could have stooped down to become a begging bum).

If you are a true Christian Journey2Life, please keep me in your prayers.

Carlos

Last edited by carlos123; 12-06-2008 at 03:22 PM..

Old 12-06-2008, 04:04 PM

I have been looking at cheap places to live in San Diego (since I can't set up a small pup tent near a good bush it would seem - the city authorities have decided that the bushes are their domain to control ).

Has anyone ever had any dealings with a place called Yeshua's House? They charge $275 a month for a place to sleep in a bunkbed/hostel type set up. It sounds interesting and might be good for me until I can save enough to buy a UPS style truck and live in it instead.

One never knows about these "Christian" places. Some are run with overbearing authority or by the dictatorial fancies of those in charge and not by Christlike principles so I don't know about this place and thought I would ask.

Carlos

Old 12-07-2008, 03:31 AM

136 posts, read 463,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123 View Post
I have been looking at cheap places to live in San Diego (since I can't set up a small pup tent near a good bush it would seem - the city authorities have decided that the bushes are their domain to control ).

Has anyone ever had any dealings with a place called Yeshua's House? They charge $275 a month for a place to sleep in a bunkbed/hostel type set up. It sounds interesting and might be good for me until I can save enough to buy a UPS style truck and live in it instead.

One never knows about these "Christian" places. Some are run with overbearing authority or by the dictatorial fancies of those in charge and not by Christlike principles so I don't know about this place and thought I would ask.

Carlos
I'm sure it's pretty ghetto. If it's in CA and it's cheap, ..it's most likely ghetto.

It's a different world than Canada.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmoney View Post
I'm sure it's pretty ghetto. If it's in CA and it's cheap, ..it's most likely ghetto.
Or...it may be what it purports to be...a Christian organization interested in helping those wanting cheap housing so as to help them get on their feet . Of course I am just interested in the cheap housing since my idea of getting on one's feet is...well...rather uncoventional.

I've looked at some pictures and it looks really nice. I will be calling them tomorrow if I get the chance to talk things over more with them. I just need a place to sleep. That's it. No shower. No address to use (I will get my own mail forwarding service). No kitchen privaleges. No TV. No cable. No internet (I will get my own portable one). I just need a place to lay out my sleeping bag and go wee wee once in a while during the night or morning. Other than that I won't be there.

So what they have may suit me just fine. Ghetto or not...it's legal and better than trying to sneak around to sleep in a tent.

Incidentally my brother, who used to live in San Diego, confirmed some of what you all have been telling me. Namely that, as he put it, if you don't have a Rolex watch on you are looked down upon. Bad in general but very, very good for my window cleaning business. Since I am a classy, professional, window cleaner offering services to the mostly rich and infamous where I presently am.

He also said the city is beautiful but that as you get closer to the border, that it starts to look run down. And when he was there...that they had no border fence up and that illegals could just walk over. Don't know if that is still the case. Also...he said he did not experience any discrimination - which is good...given that I have a name like Carlos Rodriguez (not my real last name) though I look as American as apple pie.

Carlos

Old 12-09-2008, 08:49 PM

106 posts, read 433,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesstress View Post
Six months even sixteen months sounds like a person who has fallen on some difficult times, but 4 years? That to me sounds like a person with some other issues. I would not consider myself qualified to say what those issues are but most people and employers do prefer the security of a permanent address. Perhaps it is time you sat down to talk with someone who can help you figure out why you feel it is perfectly normal for someone to live in their truck for 4 years just to avoid a mortgage, there are apartments you can rent month to month. You appear to be working very hard to find away to continue this lifestyle, if your brother is willing to sue people for you wouldn't he also be willing to help you get on your feet? Did you refuse his help? If you take a leap of faith do you think you will not recover from the disappointment if things do not work out as planned? Is it peace of mind you need? (Philippians 4:4-9) Carlos today is as good a day as any to begin anew.
Actaully I sold my 3 houses, worked for 2.5 more years saving additional money, bought and fitted out a brand new van, and traveled. 30,509 miles, over 35 National Parks, 30 National Forests, 25 State Parks, etc. ; I have now seen every state in the US except 3. Backpacking, mountain biking, hiking, fishing, etc. etc. with over 20,000 high quality photos to enjoy the remainder of my life.

http://web.mac.com/rissling

Hows life in your cubicle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego