Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 04:32 AM

3,348 posts, read 2,314,314 times

Advertisements

I heard this city used to have at least an entirely Republican city council at one point just few years ago ie 2015. However, is it true that this is far from the case today? As it appears for what I hear nowadays they are as Democrat and agenda obsessed as any other coastal city, in fact they are now almost like the coast of Los Angeles in terms of policy making. That they also had the stiffest and longest lasting lockdown restrictions in 2020 and were among the last in San Diego County if not the state/nation to lift restrictions on outdoor activities and use of parks or trails in 2020, or remove the police tape from them. I also heard they also wrote hundreds of COVID related citations in 2020-2021, whereas their neighbors to the north and east almost wrote pretty much zero.

Also Carlsbad by policy is not very dog friendly, compared to many other cities in San Diego County, with dogs blanketedly prohibited from most all city-owned public places. I don't know how its in practice though.

I be curious how Carlsbad changed so much. I understand California in general is headed that direction. But is Carlsbad headed in that direction much faster than ie Huntington Beach?

Btw I did hear Carlsbad was very obsessed with building new malls. Though a citizens veto stopped one from being built near i5, the city already has three malls. Good thing it didn't as malls are going the way of the dinosaurs these days it would just be an abandoned megaproject causing blight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2023, 01:57 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,486,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I heard this city used to have at least an entirely Republican city council at one point just few years ago ie 2015. However, is it true that this is far from the case today? As it appears for what I hear nowadays they are as Democrat and agenda obsessed as any other coastal city

Btw I did hear Carlsbad was very obsessed with building new malls. Though a citizens veto stopped one from being built near i5, the city already has three malls. Good thing it didn't as malls are going the way of the dinosaurs these days it would just be an abandoned megaproject causing blight.
Most of the elected officials were born and raised in the area, there are relatively few traditional Republicans in elected positions because the far-right destroyed any chance of even a moderate R winning a general election. Carlsbad is far more moderate than what you are describing, makes it seem like you have an agenda there.

Carlsbad is very pro-development, pro tourism and is going to build the living crap out of that area in the next 20 years.

Old 07-28-2023, 02:48 PM

5,746 posts, read 4,706,142 times
Carlsbad doesn't have 3 malls.

Rick Caruso wanted to build a new outdoor shopping/dining center on the strawberry fields adjacent to the 5; modeled after his previous project "The Grove" up in LA. It was proposed to have a Nordstrom, and many restaurants/shops as well as a small amphitheater all overlooking the lagoon.

Personally, I thought it would have been great, but the owners of the indoor mall (Westfield) funded the campaign against it and riled up all the local hippies to "Save Carlsbad". Whatever that means...

Old 07-28-2023, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Carlsbad doesn't have 3 malls.
Rick Caruso wanted to build a new outdoor shopping/dining center on the strawberry fields adjacent to the 5; modeled after his previous project "The Grove" up in LA.* *It was proposed to have a Nordstrom, and many restaurants/shops as well as a small amphitheater all overlooking the lagoon.
Personally, I thought it would have been great, but the owners of the indoor mall (Westfield) funded the campaign against it and riled up all the local hippies to "Save Carlsbad".* Whatever that means...
That depends on whether you consider Plaza Paseo Real a "Mall" or not.*Carlsbad would had too many malls for such a small city. I am surprised no malls nor proposals of one in Vista or San Marcos despite being busy cities. Large Shopping plazas are the closest*thing they have to mall, the nearest proper "mall" outside of Carlsbad north of San Diego city is in Escondido. I am glad it didn't become a mall, I heard Westfied*was trying to make itself an outdoor mall out of the existing indoor mall which fortunately didn't materialize as we already have too many outdoor malls in the area. Its not bad to have some refuge when its not so desirable to go outside. Wow I didn't know it was a "mall' that lobbied against a new mall. Though I am thinking its likely going to be an abandoned construction site eyesore if it did go through.**
Interestingly now they are forcing the malls to go all paper, one thing that they never dreamed of in the past compared to their neighbors Encinitas or Oceanside as they used to be much more moderate than their other beach neighbors. Interestingly while thick reusable checkout bags which most mall retailers already use to pack their customer's checked out purchases for many years are still technically allowed but corporate offices want to look green and pocket the money for it so they go along even if it means higher costs passed on to customers and making their stores less customer friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
Most of the elected officials were born and raised in the area, there are relatively few traditional Republicans in elected positions because the far-right destroyed any chance of even a moderate R winning a general election. * Carlsbad is far more moderate than what you are describing, makes it seem like you have an agenda there.

Carlsbad is very pro-development, pro tourism and is going to build the living crap out of that area in the next 20 years.
If thats the case I would say everyone on City data are just here to defend an agenda.
I am thinking Carlsbad and to a less*extent Oceanside as well leaned republican due to rebelling against Obama's rule but was hit hard by the blue tsunami when Trump took office.**
Overall it appears somehow San Diego county seems considerably more progressive leaning compared to their neighbors upnorth i.e Riverside or Orange Counties. Whether they be Democrat or Republican. But moderate compared to City of Los Angeles and some surrounding cities, however I noticed aside from a dozen standouts much of Los Angeles county is moderate compared to other parts of CA's coast especially the SF Bay Area, as well as Palm Springs. Though the gap is closing by the year. Parts of Orange County on the other hand even Democrat ruled Santa Ana or other cities became anti regulation in the last ten years. San Diego county seems more pro lockdown than their neighbors during the last three years as well based on news stories. Only a little less so than LA.*

Being pro development seems a characteristic for cities in California regardless of lean, got to reel in those tax dollars. Affordable housing is never their priority even if they are uber progressive as they don't build a good tax base.

Old 07-29-2023, 08:22 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times
Tune into the latest city council meetings and skip to public comments. You'd think it was the Berkeley town square. Utterly shocking that Carlsbad has so many woke idiots. The facebook groups aren't any better.

Last edited by allenk893; 07-29-2023 at 09:20 AM..

Old 07-29-2023, 10:54 AM

5,746 posts, read 4,706,142 times
Quote:
That depends on whether you consider Plaza Paseo Real a "Mall" or not.*Carlsbad would had too many malls for such a small city. I am surprised no malls nor proposals of one in Vista or San Marcos despite being busy cities. Large Shopping plazas are the closest*thing they have to mall, the nearest proper "mall" outside of Carlsbad north of San Diego city is in Escondido. I am glad it didn't become a mall, I heard Westfied*was trying to make itself an outdoor mall out of the existing indoor mall which fortunately didn't materialize as we already have too many outdoor malls in the area. Its not bad to have some refuge when its not so desirable to go outside. Wow I didn't know it was a "mall' that lobbied against a new mall. Though I am thinking its likely going to be an abandoned construction site eyesore if it did go through.**
Interestingly now they are forcing the malls to go all paper, one thing that they never dreamed of in the past compared to their neighbors Encinitas or Oceanside as they used to be much more moderate than their other beach neighbors. Interestingly while thick reusable checkout bags which most mall retailers already use to pack their customer's checked out purchases for many years are still technically allowed but corporate offices want to look green and pocket the money for it so they go along even if it means higher costs passed on to customers and making their stores less customer friendly.
Huh? Carlsbad has one mall. The rest are shopping centers. Plaza Paseo Real is a typical grocery-anchored shopping center. Why would you describe it as a mall? Because it has a Cinepolis? What does the thickness of plastic bags have to do with anything?

Old 07-29-2023, 12:28 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,457,065 times
Quote:
Being pro development seems a characteristic for cities in California regardless of lean, got to reel in those tax dollars.

If that was true, the state legislature wouldn't be floating a raft of bills every session which preempt local control where building and development are concerned.

Old 07-29-2023, 12:34 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times
Yes, Carlsbad has become "goofy."

But, at least we're not Oceanside!

yet....

Old 07-29-2023, 12:34 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,457,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Huh? Carlsbad has one mall. The rest are shopping centers. Plaza Paseo Real is a typical grocery-anchored shopping center. Why would you describe it as a mall? Because it has a Cinepolis? What does the thickness of plastic bags have to do with anything?

Is that what used to be Plaza Camino Real? Because that was a huge draw for the area when I was a teen and the only game in town. And just like the plastic bag mil thickness, I really don't know what the number of malls or the proper number before it's "too many" has to do with anything either.

Old 07-29-2023, 01:32 PM

Carlsbad Outlets by Simons is technically a bona fide mall though its an open air outdoor mall without a roof. Plaza Camino Real is almost a mall but open air and more like a shopping center but ran like a mall with most outlets maybe with the exception of some especially the restaurants all share the same operating hours. Thickness of plastic bags is totally another topic though.

Its interesting in 2023 cities like LA and Carlsbad suddenly discovered they can go beyond SB270 as long as its not affecting a sb270 covered "store." I find its ridiculous to apply the ordinance to go beyond SB270 to target retail like mall outlets as for one they hand out very very few bags in comparison to a supermarket. The other is that most of them already used bags that qualify as "reusable" bags which are unaffected by the bag ban other than now they get to charge a fee they get to pocket 100%. Its both ridiculous and annoying to be asked whether want a bag after jugging with items worth hundreds of dollars to the checkout. Thats always a big of course I do and what my pet peeve about shopping in the San Francisco Bay Area since 2013. Also this a big security problem with shrinkage as its harder to tell whether merchandise had been paid as unbagged merchandise is normally a red flag until now. Though I do notice corporates still take the advantage to appear green just like they did in the SF Bay Area and make the switch to paper anyways as it gives them an excuse to charge for them as ordinances in some cities only require a fee for paper bags but completely exempts thick reusable plastic bags. Brick and mortar retail not just malls are dying anyways these years and this would just speed up their demise. Many malls that were thriving in the past no longer exists today and were closing down one by one years prior to COVID19. Not to mention shoplifting is very out of control in areas with such ordinances, especially for retail and not just food stores.

Back to the topic though

Cities and the state are usually pro-tax revenue which development brings but its the NIMBYists groups that block development for this and that. Cities also mandate HOAs or private governing bodies so they have fewer responsibilities with that revenue. But its important to remember NIMBYists also block infrastructure necessary to sustain such a growing population i.e roadways capacity, parking, transit, water, electricity, gas, sewage, etc. Now the issue is that states want the tax revenue in disguise of resolving the housing issue now they try to pull out all those stops without realizing our infrastructure is overloaded not only due to people moving in but years of NIMBYism blocking projects to sustain them. I.e now they want to get rid of minimum parking, however what counts as a transit line is it only major lines? The only major transit in North San Diego county is the LOSSAN corridor which we get a taste of how "reliable" it is since last year or takes anyone anywhere meaningful.

I am not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego