Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 11:14 AM

6,737 posts, read 6,727,597 times

Advertisements

I keep reading good things about Kevin Faulconer and how San Diego is doing a better job with reopening and homelessness than LA or SF. Is this really true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2020, 11:16 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times
Not so sure about that. Downtown SD is full of homeless as well. This is actually true of all west coast cities (I even saw a major homeless camp in Vancouver). I think it has more to do with the mild weather allowing homeless people to stay outside vs how well the cities are run.

Old 08-24-2020, 11:43 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,262,281 times
On the homelessness front, I'm not sure anyone knows how to get a grip on this. Our homeless problem is terrible, and despite his best intentions, Faulconer hasn't been able to make much progress. It seems to be a complex issue that transcends politics; otherwise we wouldn't see those problems in every large City.

Regarding the pandemic, I think the county has been doing a great job of managing it. Restrictions have been appropriate based on data, and the mayor has been very proactive in helping indoor businesses move outdoors. For example, gyms and houses of worship can operate in public parks without special permits, and restaurants can use parking spaces for outdoor seating without much expense or red tape. I give him big props for finding solutions without compromising public safety. Our rates of infection continue to decline even with a fair number of businesses open for outdoor business.

Old 08-24-2020, 12:02 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,020 times
We were taken off the watch list but we still had over 250 plus new Covid cases yesterday. Reason to celebrate ?

Everyone is lying. Hopeful to open businesses sooner than is safe to do so because VOTERS and business owners are rightfully complaining but this is a pandemic.

NOBODY is handling this properly. You take a risk when you leave your house.

Not much else to argue about.

Old 08-24-2020, 01:23 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,277,252 times
Yes, it’s run better, but November that will likely change. The front runner for mayor is that fool Todd Gloria, who coauthored AB5, the gig job killer.

Old 08-24-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Yes, it’s run better, but November that will likely change. The front runner for mayor is that fool Todd Gloria, who coauthored AB5, the gig job killer.
So, you don't believe gig workers should be entitled to benefits if they work over a certain number of hours per week? How exactly should they provide health coverage for their families? Should the employer not have to pay payroll taxes to the state as they would for FTE's? Keep in mind, the gig economy is going to be more and more of the workforce in the future. Without this type of safety net, employees are on their own.
AB5 was put in place to remove this type of loophole, which is hurting the worker. The fact that Uber and Lyft are saying they can't afford this tells me how flawed their business model was to begin with.

Old 08-24-2020, 02:22 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Yes I think it's run better but that's not saying much. SD can be a little too cheap when it comes to taxes but at the same time they don't waste as much money as LA and SF. SD has lower taxes and bad infrastructure while LA and SF have high taxes and bad infrastructure. SD is more fiscally conservative. SF never met a tax it didn't like.

Old 08-24-2020, 02:59 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,277,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
So, you don't believe gig workers should be entitled to benefits if they work over a certain number of hours per week? How exactly should they provide health coverage for their families? Should the employer not have to pay payroll taxes to the state as they would for FTE's? Keep in mind, the gig economy is going to be more and more of the workforce in the future. Without this type of safety net, employees are on their own.
AB5 was put in place to remove this type of loophole, which is hurting the worker. The fact that Uber and Lyft are saying they can't afford this tells me how flawed their business model was to begin with.
That’s typical sort sighted liberal talk for “I know better than you” from the politicians. That bill destroyed many, many jobs and careers. Some people like being an independent contractor. It goes beyond Uber and Lyft.

Try educating yourself and look the damage that bill did. It’s an idiotic law that hurt many people.

Old 08-24-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
That’s typical sort sighted liberal talk for “I know better than you” from the politicians. That bill destroyed many, many jobs and careers. Some people like being an independent contractor.

Try educating yourself and look the damage that bill did. It’s an idiotic law that hurt many people.
I suppose you also think that raising the minimum wage destroyed many jobs as well. Living wages benefit our society as a whole because most of this money goes back into the economy. If you don't do this, you line the pocketbooks of the wealthy, who generally do not spend as much of their income.

For your reference, I'm actually very educated on this bill and happen to work with this on a daily basis at my place of employment. But, very convenient for you to make these broad assumptions about me when you don't even know what you're talking about.

Old 08-24-2020, 03:07 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
San Diego City's local government is corrupt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego