Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2021, 05:45 PM

144 posts, read 128,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
I think that may have been me (I live there hahah). If you don't have little kids in schools, I think you could get away with a better house in a less family oriented area, i.e. Mount Helix is awesome, and schools are good there, but the high school isnt great and little kids cant really leave the house to do anything.

Anyway, re-reading your OP and follow up, I would focus on :

- La Mesa Mount Helix and Village, Windsor Hills, maybe even Casa De Oro - character, lot size, maybe pool, larger nicer homes, close to cute walkable downtown with nightlife, you can still find a nice house in the 800k range there

- Del Cerro/nicer parts of San Carlos (area around Green Elementary) - character, lot size, pools, larger nicer homes, close to everything but no 'village' per se. Will be more like 800k+ though

- Tierrasanta - less character, probably pool, low maintenance newer homes, well kept, a bit removed from things to do but still nice, also 800k+ for a house there

- I'll throw in newer developments like Eastlake and 4S ranch for newer homes, great community amenities, great parks, but if you don't have little kids....

If you want to be < 800k and still in a decent, safe area with nicer homes, pool etc and can handle a smaller house, I would seriously look at Allied Gardens, it seems to be one of the preferred entry points for value / nearby / not super dumpy.

I would not look at Clairemont or any surrounding area including University City, Linda Vista, Serra Mesa etc, again just personal preference. With the exception of Bay Park / Ho I find it crowded and run down. Would not recommend Talmadge as it is too close to sketchiness.
We have an adult child who is graduating college this year ..he MAY come with us. The others are either in their careers in other states or moving to another state for grad school. I have nothing against living in a family oriented neighborhood, but luckily it's not one of our boxes to check so we can live without it.

Also being too crowded isn't desirable, so we'd probably try and avoid places like that BUT if something came on the market that ticked all the boxes, we'd consider it. I think the main thing around that, that we absolutely don't want, is having a house next to us that you can touch by sticking your arm out the window. I know that's a different kind of crowded (proximity vs population/traffic).

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm documenting them all for the next trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I know you checked out Mt. Helix and have been to the La Mesa Costco, but have you checked out the area around the Village? It’s very walkable with some really good restaurants and a Trolley station. Another area nearby is Fletcher Hills (La Mesa and El Cajon). While not walkable, the neighborhood is great, with many houses having killer views.
No we didn't, I'll add those to the list!

Old 03-18-2021, 10:02 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,918,017 times
Quote:
I know you checked out Mt. Helix and have been to the La Mesa Costco, but have you checked out the area around the Village? It’s very walkable with some really good restaurants and a Trolley station. Another area nearby is Fletcher Hills (La Mesa and El Cajon). While not walkable, the neighborhood is great, with many houses having killer views.
Yeah, Mt Helix is probably the least walkable place in the city. There are some beautiful homes up there but literally you are taking your life in your hands just walking next door in most streets there much less a pleasant stroll or walk to an actual place available. I would totally stick to some of the areas in La Mesa Village over any place up there. Same with Fletcher Hills, some nice homes but you can’t get anywhere without a car. Why live in near the heart of the city when it feels like you live in he country as far as accessible amenities?

Old 03-18-2021, 11:30 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,468,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilboTBagginz View Post
No we didn't, I'll add those to the list!
Another area around there I forgot to mention (probably because you said you’ve already been to Del Cerro and San Carlos) is La Mesa by Lake Murray. We looked at a place that nearly backed up to it, and was somewhat walkable. While not as hip as the Village, there was a Vons, Starbucks, some independent eateries, and an Outback Steakhouse, lol. I think a lot of newcomers to the city sleep on La Mesa because it doesn’t have a “San Diego” mailing address, and it’s always skewed older in its population. Good luck in your search.

Old 03-19-2021, 10:32 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,506,628 times
Quote:
Another area around there I forgot to mention (probably because you said you’ve already been to Del Cerro and San Carlos) is La Mesa by Lake Murray. We looked at a place that nearly backed up to it, and was somewhat walkable. While not as hip as the Village, there was a Vons, Starbucks, some independent eateries, and an Outback Steakhouse, lol. I think a lot of newcomers to the city sleep on La Mesa because it doesn’t have a “San Diego” mailing address, and it’s always skewed older in its population. Good luck in your search.
I live in that area, east side of Lake Murray (Lake Streets, it's San Diego not La Mesa) and highly recommend it for home size, lot size, great community feel. Homes are older and many need a lot of work but they are getting rehabbed fast. We are starting to see sales in the 1M+ range as the homes are larger and many do have pools.

there are a couple of independent restaurants in the area, frankly don't think they're all that great. Too many chains, mediocre burritos and BBQ places. Outback didn't renew their lease and is gone, really hope that doesn't become another chain. I don't walk anywhere other than for fitness and don't care about being near restaurants or bars so it's perfect for us. It's a 5 minute drive to La Mesa Village or 15 minute drive to Normal Heights if you need that. If you go east of Lake Murray blvd you can find single-story homes in the 700k range but it's not as well-kept. Access to Lake Murray, Cowles Mountain and Mission Trails, best schools in SD Unified from elementary-high school is the big draw.

Fletcher Hills is another good recommendation, it does have it's own strip with shops and has more of a sidewalk-suburb feel than La Mesa Mt Helix. You will often see residents walking along Hacienda and the other main streets. It was too removed from the schools and not a lot of young kids so we chose San Carlos but I was actually more in favor of Fletcher Hills for home size.

Old 03-19-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I live in that area, east side of Lake Murray (Lake Streets, it's San Diego not La Mesa) and highly recommend it for home size, lot size, great community feel. Homes are older and many need a lot of work but they are getting rehabbed fast. We are starting to see sales in the 1M+ range as the homes are larger and many do have pools.

there are a couple of independent restaurants in the area, frankly don't think they're all that great. Too many chains, mediocre burritos and BBQ places. Outback didn't renew their lease and is gone, really hope that doesn't become another chain. I don't walk anywhere other than for fitness and don't care about being near restaurants or bars so it's perfect for us. It's a 5 minute drive to La Mesa Village or 15 minute drive to Normal Heights if you need that. If you go east of Lake Murray blvd you can find single-story homes in the 700k range but it's not as well-kept. Access to Lake Murray, Cowles Mountain and Mission Trails, best schools in SD Unified from elementary-high school is the big draw.
Good to know, thanks!

Old 03-19-2021, 11:48 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,468,026 times
Quote:

Fletcher Hills is another good recommendation, it does have it's own strip with shops and has more of a sidewalk-suburb feel than La Mesa Mt Helix. You will often see residents walking along Hacienda and the other main streets. It was too removed from the schools and not a lot of young kids so we chose San Carlos but I was actually more in favor of Fletcher Hills for home size.
My favorite house we looked at that we didn’t buy was in Fletcher Hills. It was on the bluff on Murray Dr with views out to Cuyamaca that was covered in snow that day. My wife squashed it (rightfully so) because it was all windows with a wrap around deck that dropped off 15-20ft, and it would’ve been a death trap for our future kids.

Another area of La Mesa we really liked was the area called Academy Heights where all the streets are named after prestigious universities (Harvard, Yale, Berkeley, Stanford, etc). Unfortunately there was only a couple of places available at the time, but a lot of the houses had character, and by and large it was well kept. Where was this place though when we looked

https://www.redfin.com/CA/La-Mesa/72...m_content=link

Old 03-21-2021, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosoup View Post
where was this place though when we looked

https://www.redfin.com/ca/la-mesa/72...m_content=link
wow

Old 03-22-2021, 11:21 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,506,628 times
Quote:
Another area of La Mesa we really liked was the area called Academy Heights where all the streets are named after prestigious universities (Harvard, Yale, Berkeley, Stanford, etc). Unfortunately there was only a couple of places available at the time, but a lot of the houses had character, and by and large it was well kept. Where was this place though when we looked

https://www.redfin.com/CA/La-Mesa/72...m_content=link
When I lived in Rolando that house was on my daily running route. That specific house is way nicer than the rest of that area though. Not that it's a bad area but more of a solid middle class type of area. Most homes in the area are fairly basic, many are smaller and I think the proximity to El Cajon Boulevard, 70th street and University is a turnoff for many... super ratty commercial streets in that area. There is a cool staircase from down below that leads up the hill to where that house is. If I didnt have kids would definitely consider it.

Old 03-22-2021, 02:41 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,918,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilboTBagginz View Post
wow
Quote:
When I lived in Rolando that house was on my daily running route. That specific house is way nicer than the rest of that area though. Not that it's a bad area but more of a solid middle class type of area. Most homes in the area are fairly basic, many are smaller and I think the proximity to El Cajon Boulevard, 70th street and University is a turnoff for many... super ratty commercial streets in that area. There is a cool staircase from down below that leads up the hill to where that house is. If I didnt have kids would definitely consider it.
Yeah, super nice! That’s a landmark quality MCM, amazing it hasn’t been remuddeled into a disaster with walls taken out, paneled doors and totally inappropriate finishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego