Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 10:05 AM

3,475 posts, read 5,276,562 times

Advertisements

I don't know anything about Camarillo, but I know a lot about Poway and a reasonable amount about Carlsbad. I've been to San Clemente many times as well.

As mentioned, San Clemente and Carlsbad are beach towns, so Recreation revolves around the beach. Poway is an inland town, so Recreation is more oriented towards hiking trails, the lake, horses, pools, but of course you can drive to the beach reasonably quickly. Beach parking may be crowded on holiday summer weekends, but offseason or weekday trips are rarely a problem.

For your budget, you'll probably spare a little bit better in Poway, although you should find something in the other cities as well. For any of them, however, it won't be especially nice housing. If you are open to perhaps an attached duplex or townhome, then you may do a little bit better. It's one thought.

Poway is definitely a mix of everything, from countless multimillion-dollar, gated mansions on golf courses to literally a trailer park, and everything in between. There is a tremendous Community feel, and the city frequently hosts Citywide events. There is a large Recreation program as well as adult education classes, and Old Poway Park, along with its historic structures, is the site of the Poway Historical Society, old trains on display, and a variety of festivals throughout the year including an old-timey Christmas celebration, summer movies in the park, and the adjacent weekly Farmers Market, which I think is one of the best in the entire region.

The downside is that has the least Charming downtown of all three cities. While Carlsbad and San Clemente have very walkable, historic downtowns with sidewalk cafes, coffee shops, restaurants, and shops, Poway's downtown is a patchwork of awkward strip malls. There is, however a large Food Hall being built in downtown. It's just not walkable. The true Community hub is Old Poway Park.

Carlsbad's downtown, which is adjacent to the beach come is rapidly gentrified in 2D much more vibrant area to spend your evenings, and of course the beach is right there. So there's something to be said for that. In your budget, you would certainly not be near the beach but would have to be a bit inland. Carlsbad is a sprawling city with a very large population and varied housing stock, so you should be able to find something. As mentioned, if you have meetings or commuting to do, take that into consideration, because the traffic in and out of Carlsbad can be tremendous. San Clemente also tends to be a traffic bottleneck, but it's a beautiful city with really great topography. It is geographically restricted by the mountains to its East, so I'm not sure if there are neighborhoods within your price range, as the entire city seems to be sandwiched in fairly close to the coast. And I can't speak to the sense of community spirit in San Clemente. I have heard from people that used to live there that it does have that too, and it seems like the kind of town that would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 09:38 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,748,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
:
For your budget, you'll probably spare a little bit better in Poway, although you should find something in the other cities as well. For any of them, however, it won't be especially nice housing. If you are open to perhaps an attached duplex or townhome, then you may do a little bit better. It's one thought.

Poway is definitely a mix of everything, from countless multimillion-dollar, gated mansions on golf courses to literally a trailer park, and everything in between. There is a tremendous Community feel, and the city frequently hosts Citywide events. There is a large Recreation program as well as adult education classes, and Old Poway Park, along with its historic structures, is the site of the Poway Historical Society, old trains on display, and a variety of festivals throughout the year including an old-timey Christmas celebration, summer movies in the park, and the adjacent weekly Farmers Market, which I think is one of the best in the entire region.

The downside is that has the least Charming downtown of all three cities. While Carlsbad and San Clemente have very walkable, historic downtowns with sidewalk cafes, coffee shops, restaurants, and shops, Poway's downtown is a patchwork of awkward strip malls. There is, however a large Food Hall being built in downtown. It's just not walkable. The true Community hub is Old Poway Park.
:
This is pretty much spot on.

If (OP) you are looking for great schools and low crime, this area is right for you. But note, Poway Unified School District (PUSD) extends beyond Poway. That is, it includes other areas outside of Poway that have similar demographics and other characteristics.

If you have identified a school that you like within PUSD, ensure that it is not 'impacted' and that your children will be able to attend there.

Poway is mostly not walkable in the sense to be within walking distance from home to multiple shopping and eating choices. Nightlife is very limited, but not nonexistent.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:18 PM

23 posts, read 116,590 times
Oh, thank you tstieber and futbol for the detailed and helpful response. I’m sorry I just saw them. I must have missed the notification that anybody replied.
I realize I should probably start a new thread narrowed down to San Clemente vs. Carlsbad as I think we are going to focus our search on those two areas now that it seems our business is doing pretty well. I had fallen for Poway, however, I figured if we’re going to move to SoCal and can afford it, than we may as well live by the beach!

Old 06-07-2019, 03:17 AM

489 posts, read 1,957,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Poway/RB are less than 30 mins from the beach as well.

Mike

Oxnard State Beach is gorgeous if Camarillo is the choice - about 25-30 min away

Old 06-28-2019, 01:54 PM

298 posts, read 304,286 times
I meant Pleasant Valley Hospital not the state hospital but yes they did close the state hospital and its now a college campus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego