Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2018, 02:10 PM

37 posts, read 26,002 times

Advertisements

I'm seriously considering moving to Carlsbad/Vista area to be closer to my sister (husband will retire soon) and frankly because I miss California! I live in the South, it's fine but I don't have any family here.

Does anyone know the teaching situation there? Opportunities, salaries, etc. I am an experienced teacher with 2 Master's, I've taught in several states and abroad, Social Studies 6-12, IB certified teacher, have taught DE (college level dual enrollment courses), have taught in both public and private schools, am in my mid-40s.

It would mean moving my children unless I wait for all of them to finish high school but my youngest is 5 so that would be a significant wait....or moving them soon before they're in middle or high school so they would adjust easier to a new place.

Would it be financially feasible if we got a modest house (if that's possible)? I would imagine our combined salaries/pensions/retirement would be under 100K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 03:25 PM

8,395 posts, read 7,677,429 times
Have you already looked through the education job listings in San Diego County on Edjoin.org? That's probably your best bet for getting a sense of which public school districts and private schools may be hiring in San Diego County, since most of the districts and private schools here post all of their job ads on Edjoin.org.

I'm not sure of your definition of a "modest" house, but the median sales price for single family homes sold in Carlsbad in January 2018 was $877,000 according to Zillow.com. Median rent for a 3 bedroom in Carlsbad in January 2018 was $3200.

In Vista, prices are lower, but there are also more undesirable (re: higher crime) areas and the schools are not as good. Use the advanced search feature above to search for threads about Vista; it is frequently discussed in this forum.

Keep an open mind about areas; you may want to even explore nearby counties like Riverside County. Use sites like Zillow.com and SDLookup.com to start getting a clearer idea of what your housing budget will buy and/or rent.

This recent thread may also be a useful to read through:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...der-500-a.html

And here's a good thread to introduce yourself to a broad selection of areas in the County:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...out-where.html

Can your sister recommend a good real estate agent in her area? If so, perhaps come out for a visit and do some home tours with the agent to get a clearer idea of what your budget will buy or rent in different areas.

Good luck with your move!

Last edited by RosieSD; 02-26-2018 at 03:38 PM..

Old 02-28-2018, 01:13 PM

1,078 posts, read 941,432 times
I attended those districts and my family member works for the EUSD. I personally wouldn’t move back to the area, and the cost of living in some districts means you’ll be facing long commutes because your salary won’t buy you a home nearby. But it’s doable. Vista is cheaper, though the commute into Carlsbad takes forever. Poway is a nice district too, especially if you live in Escondido or Lakeside to make it a bit cheaper. I wouldn’t personally work in Vista, and probably not Esco either, unless it was at a charter or private school. That pains me to say but Rancho Bernardo/Poway and Carlsbad are going to be your best bets, maybe even San Marcos, but the commutes and costs might drive you nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego