Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 08:41 PM

17 posts, read 68,156 times

Advertisements

I am sure this question gets asked a ton but it would be so helpful to get advice from people who know the area!

My husband will be starting a Post Doc at Scripps in La Jolla in August so we will be headed to San Diego (from Madison, WI and can I just say we are REALLY looking forward to the change in weather).

We have three kids-they will be 5, 3 and 6 months when we get there. The 5 year old will start kindergarten this year. The post doc will last for 2 years so we will probably only be there that long.

So, at this point we are trying to get a feel for what cities would be good options for us to live in. People have mentioned Poway, Rancho Bernardo, Rancho Penasquitos, Mira Mesa and Scripps Ranch.

A few important factors for us would be commute-the shorter the better because my husband will already be working really long hours and if you add a long commute on top of that he never gets to see his family-school district (I hear Poway's is fantastic!), family friendly areas and of course cost.

Any thoughts and recommendations based on that? Oh and if by chance anyone LDS reads this, we are LDS so we are interested in where the good wards are and things too! Thanks for any help!

Amber
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 03:28 AM

202 posts, read 873,065 times
Not Mira Mesa, PQ's alright, Poway too. The rest are good also.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:05 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,580,177 times
Those are kind of a little more "upscale" areas of the county.Depending on who you ask,Mira Mesa is either nice,ok,or rough.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:34 PM

181 posts, read 892,582 times
Poway is generally considered a family orientated neighborhood with good schools. The only down side I would say about poway is the commute. The traffic in and out of poway is really bad, you can most likely expect at least a 30 minute commute (if not more) if you are going during the regular commuting times...if not it might be fine. Other than that you would probably like poway. It is a more rural area of san diego and there are a lot of LDS people there. If you want a shorter commute and closer to the beach you might also want to check out areas of encinitas and cardiff. Cardiff has great schools, especially the elementary. It is also less pricey overall than la jolla, del mar or solana beach (the next closest areas) Encinitas is also pretty family orientated for a beach town anyway. I would say where you will live depends on how much you can spend on a place. If you tell us a price range we can give you more insight.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:11 PM

365 posts, read 1,420,127 times
The Poway school district is large. Parts or Carmel Valley are under the Poway school district. There are a lot of great places to rent or own there, and the wards are strong as well. They are also pretty strong in the 4S Ranch area of Rancho Bernardo. My wife and I are looking at that area for ourselves. Let us know when you come for a visit and maybe we could all do a session in the La Jolla Temple (where we got married 9 months ago

Old 03-19-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkllars View Post
The Poway school district is large. Parts or Carmel Valley are under the Poway school district. There are a lot of great places to rent or own there, and the wards are strong as well. They are also pretty strong in the 4S Ranch area of Rancho Bernardo. My wife and I are looking at that area for ourselves. Let us know when you come for a visit and maybe we could all do a session in the La Jolla Temple (where we got married 9 months ago
Congrats on the marriage!!!

Old 03-19-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
Congrats on the marriage!!!
Thank you! I definitely married up!! I'd give my facebook profile so you could see pics, but forum rules prohibit it. The temple was so beautiful that day, almost as beautiful as my wife (I hope she reads this... brownie points)

Old 03-19-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkllars View Post
Thank you! I definitely married up!! I'd give my facebook profile so you could see pics, but forum rules prohibit it. The temple was so beautiful that day, almost as beautiful as my wife (I hope she reads this... brownie points)
It's ok.LOL
Married up?!
I take it that's a good thing.I was at the temple when I was in Elm. School when we had the crazy El Nino weather pattern,97 I believe.It was so beautiful.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:41 AM

181 posts, read 892,582 times
still in the honeymoon phase I see. lol.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:01 AM

Haha, something like that :-) Mysweetdreamsbaby, did you have any more questions in regards to your move, the wards and stakes, commute times, etc? There are plenty of knowledgeable people willing to help bring people such as yourself from the bitter cold to fun under the sun San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego