Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 01:28 PM

480 posts, read 418,418 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to San Diego from Midwest this summer and I am super excited. However, I am in a special situation since I am likely moving back to Midwest after a year in San Diego. I am completely lost about what to do with my car.

I don't want to drive thousands of miles cross country (just a personal preference). Hence, my options are either to move my car with an auto shipping company or sell it here and buy a new or used car in San Diego. I am unable to figure out which option would be cheaper. I understand that California DMV has some unique rules about vehicles passing emission test, smog certificate and also extra sales tax. I have a 2003 chevy cavalier. While my car is in fairly good condition, I don't know if moving it to San Diego and then paying for all extra costs will be economical. Would it be chepaer to just sell it and then buy a car after I move? I am in such a dilemma because I will be likely moving back in a year and I will have to move the car back to Midwest if I buy a car in San Diego.

Any suggestions on how to weigh these options and make a decision that will save me money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 10:36 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,641,649 times
My son went to graduate school in Michigan. He had his car shipped to and from San Diego to Michigan for about $800 each way (his return trip was a year ago, so this is fairly recent data). His car was picked up and delivered in three days and it was a very easy process.

Cars are more expensive here in California than they are in most of the mid-west. You will be hard-pressed to buy a halfway reliable car in San Diego for less than $4000 or $5000 and for that price, you likely will end up with something pretty close to what you already have anyhow. Then you will have to pay California sales taxes and registration fees. When it's all added up, it is likely you will end up spending more to buy a car here than you would to either ship it or drive it yourself.

If you do a search on google, you'll find numerous auto shipping companies -- call and they will give you a quote so you can weigh the price. Don't settle for the first quote; shop around as different brokers will give you different prices depending on your timeframe.

One caveat: before making your final decision, check the California DMV website to make sure you won't need to register your car when you get here. By law, most people who will be coming to California for more than a vacation (i.e., to work or for school) *technically* will need to register their car within a short time of arrival (there are some exceptions, which you can find on the Calif. DMV website). If it turns out you need to register your car, you'll want to make sure it meets Calif. emission standards - there is info on the DMV site that explains how to check for this under the hood of your car.

However, even if you do need to register the car while you are living here, it is likely still to be less expensive than the cost of buying a car when you get here after you add up the price, sales taxes and registration on a vehicle purchased here.

If however your car is not going to meet Calif. emission standards, and you have to register it, you may need to weigh the extra surcharge you'll have to pay to have a car that doesn't meet standards. Again, the California DMV site has the details.(make sure you are on the site that has the .gov extension, not the .org one -- that is not the CA DMV site!)

The other caveat would be if your current car is on its last legs and you think you may end up needing to buy a new car anyhow. In that case, I would probably shop around in your local area in the midwest to buy one before your move, rather than deal with the higher prices and sales tax here.

Good luck with your move!

Last edited by RosieSD; 05-02-2016 at 11:10 PM..

Old 05-02-2016, 11:12 PM

Here's the official info from the DMV on how to check whether your car meets CA emission standards. In the booklet, you'll also find the links for the DMV site, with more information about who needs to register cars.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES

Old 05-03-2016, 09:25 AM

One more thing occurred to me. Call your current insurance company and ask about whether you will need added or different insurance for a temporary move to California. My son actually paid less for insurance (with the same company) when he lived in Michigan than he did in California but depending on the state you are moving to, this may be different for you. Regardless, it is likely that buying a newer model car here will result in higher insurance costs than keeping your old car. But double check on this with your insurance company. Good luck again with your move.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:33 AM

771 posts, read 835,530 times
Any chance you could live the year in SD without a car? You didn't say what you'll be doing for the year, but could you live close to work/school/whatever and use a combination of Uber and/or rental cars as needed? If it's for work, can you negotiate having your employer provide a car? Some employers already have a number of corporate cars and if that is the case it might be super easy and inexpensive for them to let you use it for the year.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy10 View Post
Any chance you could live the year in SD without a car? You didn't say what you'll be doing for the year, but could you live close to work/school/whatever and use a combination of Uber and/or rental cars as needed? If it's for work, can you negotiate having your employer provide a car? Some employers already have a number of corporate cars and if that is the case it might be super easy and inexpensive for them to let you use it for the year.
Good suggestion, Someguy. If you live in an area served by ZipCars, that would also give you access to a car when absolutely necessary. http://www.zipcar.com/find-cars/sandiego

Old 05-03-2016, 04:34 PM

480 posts, read 418,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Here's the official info from the DMV on how to check whether your car meets CA emission standards. In the booklet, you'll also find the links for the DMV site, with more information about who needs to register cars.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES
Thank you. My car is about 8 years old since I bought it. It's in a fairly good shape. I have been contemplating buying a new car but I would like to do that when I permanently move to a new city. I did not know buying a car in SD would be that expensive. According to your calculations it will cost around $2000 to ship my car back and forth plus some extra for the sales and registration fee. I have to find out from local auto dealers how much my car would be worth if I decide to sell it. I am not a big car person and have no clue about how much a new car will cost. If I decide to buy a car in SD, I will probably buy a used one that is simple and compact. Nothing fancy. How much would that cost? I know it's a broad question but I am trying to figure out some options.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt_10 View Post
TIf I decide to buy a car in SD, I will probably buy a used one that is simple and compact. Nothing fancy. How much would that cost? I know it's a broad question but I am trying to figure out some options.
As I mentioned above, you probably should plan on $4000 or so to get an older model "nothing fancy" car that is half way reliable. You might hit it lucky and find something a little less expensive, but you may have to hunt for a reliable car in that price range. Of course, you'll have California Sales tax and license and registration fees to pay on top of purchase price. Not sure if you plan to sell your car here in California to someone else, but if so it will have to be smog certified before the sale. As I said, before your move, you may want to contact your insurance company to get an idea of how/if insurance rates will change after your move.

Good luck with your move!

Old 05-03-2016, 09:55 PM

4,538 posts, read 12,400,459 times
OP, you didn't delve into the idea of seeing if you could go the year in San Diego without a car. Depending on your circumstances, particularly your age, this might be the least difficult solution. No selling or buying cars which is a process for which you are ill-equipped knowledge-wise. No registering or shipping cars. If your work/school commute could be handled by transit, your once or twice a week car use might possibly be handled by a Car2Go membership if you live in the right areas for it.

So, what are your general work and live locations? We could let you know if you could be a San Diego Transit and Car2Go user.

Other than that, I would drive here in your car even though you don't want to, and see if you can keep the car registered in the Midwest without anyone noticing.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:17 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,927,960 times
I drove from Jersey to Imperial Beach when moving. I had two vehicles, so my cousin drove one. I moved out there with two other guys and we all rented one u-haul truck for all our stuff, driven by one of them.

Then when I moved to Florida, I once again drove both vehicles. My cousin drove one and one of my friends I lived with our there drove the u-haul for me.

If you don't like driving, it's not for you. Seems like shipping might be pricey for how old the car is and for what the car is currently valued?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego