Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 02:22 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,168,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadforSun View Post
........I can fix most basic plumbing problems, I can do electrical, but am not certified. I have years of experience building decks, and doing cabinetry. I was a roofer for 12 years, and grew up flipping homes with my step dad until I was 15. So painting, drywall, framing, flooring, hardwood, laminates, carpet, and tile are all things I've done before.

That will get you a job in construction, but remember that you are working with Mexicans mostly, and will get only low wages at first and no benefits just like them. Also, they work faster and harder than people from back east are used to. Low pay is not good when you need to pay a high rent. Mexicans get by because they share housing.

Rents are lower way out in the desert, but then you have to deal with very high temps during the summer. Can you imagine being a roofer working in 110f heat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 07:36 PM

21 posts, read 34,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadforSun View Post
I am definitely going to look into some of the retraining options, and the resume ideas are gold.
You might want to consider applying for an apprenticeship with the Union. You already have quite some construction experience. The apprenticeship is normally 5 years, but you are building a career and tuition is free. You get paid while you learn/work.

Electrician: International Brotherhood Of Electrical Workers - Int'l Office
They have many training centers and one in San Diego too.
Training centers: NJATC :: Training :: Find Your Training Center
Details and wages in SD are here: San Diego Electrical Training Center
i spoke with the training coordinator in San Diego last October and he told me that their apprentices are all working now. It looked like they had quite a lot of work. You can ask him for an appointment or ask for an appointment with any other training coordinator of the training center you are interested in.
Here is a forum of electricians and you can find and ask for information also on the apprenticeship:
http://www.electriciantalk.com

Plumber: United Association Homepage
UA.org: Links

Old 02-21-2014, 03:29 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,850,418 times
I think Oceanside,Lemon Grove, and Spring Valley look the most promising for SD COUNTY.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Oceanside-California.html

https://www.city-data.com/city/Lemon-...alifornia.html

https://www.city-data.com/city/Spring...alifornia.html

My son also likes Chula Vista ~https://www.city-data.com/city/Chula-...alifornia.html

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 02-21-2014 at 04:08 AM..

Old 02-21-2014, 12:38 PM

5 posts, read 8,008 times
Thank you all for your opinions, and just for the record, we are not interested in Texas because of personal reasons. I have looked at Florida, but honestly don't see much of a difference in costs between Florida and SoCal, so I prefer SoCal because my time with the Pacific has been far better than with the Atlantic.

In regards to work, both my wife, and myself plan to work full-time. She has her HS diploma as well, and some experience in nursing, but was unable to get certified here. So she want to try to go that route once we get on our feet. Me, I'm just a factory guy I guess. I had gone back to school, but Obama pulled my funding so I couldn't finish and now I owe a ton of money with nothing to show for it. Sorry, not trying to get political.

I like the idea of El Cajon and east SD. I figure we can't afford to be really close to the beach, but so long as I can get there on the weekends I'm cool. I really wanna relearn to surf. It's ben 20 years but I still can't get over that experience.

Thank you to everyone for your assistance. I really hope this goes ok. Still taking advice, so feel free to add anything you can think of.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:20 PM

951 posts, read 1,141,150 times
I'm from the Twin Cities, MN, and we have one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country. The pay here is great for the cost of living. We are also home to lots of corporations, so you will find manufacturing jobs here. Construction? More like road construction, but hey, if those two don't work, you can try a new trade here. Yes, it's damn cold here and the winters are long, but if you want a better economic life for your family and yourself, you have to make sacrifices. Besides, you can always move to a warmer state once you retire and have built your wealth in a better economic state. There's a reason why the Twin Cites is always listed on the top places to live for jobs, schools, life, etc. I used to lve in CA, moved up here, got my experience, made money, and now moving back to CA for sun.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:28 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,168,684 times
To the OP good luck and wish you well. I did the same thing you are doing. I packed what I had and moved west to California last year. It was a struggle, had a job lined up but had to move back to Texas for personal reasons. California is a beautiful state, full of opportunities if you can find them.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:05 AM

7 posts, read 12,090 times
Default Looking to move to SD area soon

DadforSun:

Hello. A couple suggestions...

1. Leave your wife in children in Ohio until you find employment. Perhaps they can stay with family.
2. Relocate by yourself and share a large home or apartment to minimize your expenses. Rent $500/room.
3. Consider CL for housing and job opportunities. You may also post your resume and mkt skills.
4. Reinvent yourself! Consider a career in HVAC or Cat generator maintenance. Some companies are seeking younger candidates to train. Servicing backup generators is recession-proof...and will not be cut from a companies budget. With HVAC skills you can do commercial work during the week and residential during evening or weekends.
5. If your savings permit, take advantage of the local community colleges. They offer free training and may help with job placement.
6. Join organizations associated with your target career and network, network, network....
7. Keep it simply... don't relocate with too much baggage!

Good luck!

Old 02-23-2014, 10:41 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,763,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Good God people
Like it or not O.P. is coming to San Diego.
Please don't suggest other places because he's already made up his mind.
To The O.P.:
Look into The El Cajon,Lemon Grove, Linda Vista, East San Diego areas for cheap rent,decent neighborhoods.
Also if you don't have a car,you may want to get one. San Diego is a much better place to live with a car imo.
Either you're going to have to work 2 jobs or your wife may have to work to get by.
Work your way up the ladder or do some trade school if you want to better yourself here in San Diego.
Good Luck and Welcome to San Diego
I'm sorry I was just giving him realistic and responsible advice....carry on lol

Old 02-24-2014, 09:32 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,554,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
I'm sorry I was just giving him realistic and responsible advice....carry on lol
I know you were
O.P was coming san diego and made up his before he the thread

Old 03-10-2014, 08:21 PM

88 posts, read 196,308 times
Dadforsun,

The advice here is great and I would read it all a second time. Fortune favors the brave and well informed. And it doesn't have to come monetarily. If your willing to pay the price to live in San Diego i.e. hard work, long hours, occasional oodles-n-noodles for dinner, and the family is informed and onboard, then I say throw caution at the wind and go for it. It is very possible that the move may not work out, but what if it does? You'll count this among the best decisions you've ever made for your family. And if it doesn't, sure you'll be much poorer, but you will move on harboring no regret about not giving SD a shot. Listen, life is short, and if you can honestly accept the challenges that others have accuratly pointed out here, then your decision is made and now its time to make living in SD a reality.

P.S. Read this thread again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego