Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 08:33 AM

815 posts, read 2,700,983 times

Advertisements

Just curious ... (so please don't make this a heated debate about illegal immigration because it always turns ugly) …What happened to the signs off I-5 at the San Clemente checkpoint that showed the running family? I noticed last weekend that they disappeared when I was driving back from L.A..
Also, is that still an active checkpoint? I only see a lane designed for freight trucks to stop.
Attached Thumbnails
Running family signs off I-5 - San Clemente Checkpoint-unknown.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 09:01 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,856,964 times
Yes, it's still an active Border Patrol check point. There's also one on the 15 near Rainbow, before you get to Temecula. They open the I5 one from time to time and they're always there, around the clock, monitoring traffic northbound.
As for the signs, I have no idea. You say they "disappeared." Who knows if that's true. Maybe they're just being repaired or replaced?
Why would it matter if those signs are there or not?

Old 12-13-2013, 09:13 AM

815 posts, read 2,700,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Why would it matter if those signs are there or not?
Yes. They are gone.
I never stated if it mattered to me either way. Something that was there for many years and is no longer there would spark natural curiosity as to the reason for their disappearance. Stop trying to suggest that this could be about something else when it was just a simple question.
That's all I will say about that notion.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:38 AM

321 posts, read 541,602 times
Signs are not just gone, they are long gone, removed sometime around the time the huge fences went up. Plus supposedly the coyotes don't use that route much anymore...

Old 12-13-2013, 09:42 AM

57 posts, read 95,955 times
Here's an interesting UT story from 2005 about the history of the signs...

Highway safety sign becomes running story on immigration | The San Diego Union-Tribune

Old 12-13-2013, 10:03 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,604,222 times
I always thought, for someone who's illiterate those signs seem to say, "Run across the freeway here!"

Old 12-13-2013, 10:25 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,695,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
Just curious ... (so please don't make this a heated debate about illegal immigration because it always turns ugly) …What happened to the signs off I-5 at the San Clemente checkpoint that showed the running family? I noticed last weekend that they disappeared when I was driving back from L.A..
Also, is that still an active checkpoint? I only see a lane designed for freight trucks to stop.
I travel that route on a regular basis and noticed several years ago that the signs had been removed.

I went through a checkpoint yesterday evening on my way home to Aliso Viejo; my third in four days. I also noticed a long line at the checkpoint during the AM rush.

The Border Patrol is very active there, but the checks seem to be random. That makes sense.

I also occasionally see them stopping cars along the 5, but away from the checkpoint.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:50 AM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 796,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjimbob View Post
Signs are not just gone, they are long gone, removed sometime around the time the huge fences went up. Plus supposedly the coyotes don't use that route much anymore...
I suspect that is probably the reason the signs are no longer at that location in San Clemente - not needed anymore there. Although the signs can't help but generate some strong cultural or political opinions, I don't believe they were removed due to any blanket policy . . . i.e. last time I was in San Ysidro (less than a month ago), this one was still up:

http://goo.gl/maps/QqH8C

So I think Caltrans still uses them where they feel there is a potential safety issue.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:54 AM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 796,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I always thought, for someone who's illiterate those signs seem to say, "Run across the freeway here!"

Well, I recall that for a while before the signs came down at San Clemente, they would read "Caution" on top and "Prohibido" on the bottom . . . so someone at Caltrans at one point agreed with your thought . . . .

Old 12-13-2013, 12:05 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,551,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschibuola View Post
I suspect that is probably the reason the signs are no longer at that location in San Clemente - not needed anymore there. Although the signs can't help but generate some strong cultural or political opinions, I don't believe they were removed due to any blanket policy . . . i.e. last time I was in San Ysidro (less than a month ago), this one was still up:

http://goo.gl/maps/QqH8C

So I think Caltrans still uses them where they feel there is a potential safety issue.
I've never once encountered a person running accros the 5 or the 805 in my 10 years of driving down there. The deer and turkey signs in Julian make sense because one sees those often, but I think this family sign is outdated and no longer needed. I know for sure people cross to the USA illegally all the time, but my point is these signs on the 5 and 805 are archaic.

This sign is more up with the times.

Last edited by malcorub16; 12-13-2013 at 12:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego