Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2006, 09:50 PM

3 posts, read 33,138 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My partner and I are considering a move to California from Florida, she is being transferred. We are excited about the move and have choices between Northern and Southern California. In Southern California we are considering San Marcos or Carlsbad-- appreciate any details on the commute? How long by car? We want to find a home on larger lot -- near beaches etc and liked the San Marcos area but are worried about commutes...

Thanks in advance for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2006, 06:45 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,470,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepdogs2 View Post
Hello,

My partner and I are considering a move to California from Florida, she is being transferred. We are excited about the move and have choices between Northern and Southern California. In Southern California we are considering San Marcos or Carlsbad-- appreciate any details on the commute? How long by car? We want to find a home on larger lot -- near beaches etc and liked the San Marcos area but are worried about commutes...

Thanks in advance for any help
If you can leave early enough to beath the traffic, you might be able to get away with 1 hr on a good day. But I would be prepared for at least 90 minutes. In the afternoon I would not be surprised if it took 2hrs to get home. You are going to hit solid traffic north of Pendleton almost all the way to Irvine because that is LA commuter traffic. You may be able to take the 73 toll road which cuts a bit more to the west.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:02 PM

3 posts, read 33,138 times
Default San Marcos to Irvine commute

So commuting North on I-5 in the AM and back south to San Marcos in the evening would be just as bad? 60 minutes or worse?

Old 10-18-2006, 08:27 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,470,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepdogs2 View Post
So commuting North on I-5 in the AM and back south to San Marcos in the evening would be just as bad? 60 minutes or worse?
The SD county portion wont be that bad but the OC portion will be bumber to bumper.

SoCal traffic is no joke.

Old 10-19-2006, 06:59 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,429,492 times
I commuted from RB to OC for 6 months and it wasn't that bad (1.25 hours).

San Marcos is about 20 mins closer.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:51 PM

59 posts, read 649,347 times
If you lived in Carlsbad to Irvine would be better then San Marcos. It'll keep you off of the 78 which can get pretty bad. Also the 5 around Mission Viejo is where the traffic can get pretty heavy.

Here's a thought, Have you looked at San Clemente to seattle down in. It's close enough to San Diego but closer to your work in Irvine. It's a nice community and might be a better option for you.

Also the train does stop at Oceanside and San Clemente if you don't need to take your car to work but that's rare here in Southern California.

Good Luck,

Old 10-25-2006, 04:38 PM

852 posts, read 3,813,570 times
That stretch all depends on the time you drive it. We live in San Marcos and drive to lots of events in Orange County. It's 45 minutes to Irvine in ideal conditions up to 90 minutes when jammed. The traffic clears south of San Clemente, most of the time. A worse stretch of the 5 is north of the Orange County line into downtown LA. That's a challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego