Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 10:57 PM

3 posts, read 5,960 times

Advertisements

Doing some work on a family tree and I have record of a deceased family member being a musician at the Queen Beach Cafe. His family was living at 634 North 30th Street in San Diego at the time so I wondered if anybody remembers or knows about this place (if it was even in San Diego?).

I know this is a real long shot. The place where their home once stood is now the SDG&E Grant Hill Electrical Substation.

Thanks in advance in anybody can help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 02:13 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,712,484 times
You don't say where you live. If you live in CA, I'd contact the newspaper. The San Diego Union has articles as far back as 1871. Also, you could contact the main library and ask them how to go about researching this. Also, contact the city office that issues business licenses. Maybe it can help.

It's not a major problem that you don't know if the Queen Beach Café was in San Diego. But the only way I can think of, to find out whether or not it was in San Diego, is to do some research.

Wish I could be of more help.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:15 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,712,484 times
I meant, I'd contact the newspaper library in person. (You can contact the newspaper library by phone from anywhere. Duh. LOL

Old 04-21-2013, 02:20 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,604,972 times
Ken Kramer does a TV show where he highlights the history of San Diego. The TV show is called "About San Diego." Here's the website: Ken Kramer TV

Looks like he takes questions at this website or his Facebook page.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:32 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,929,377 times
You could check a reverse phone directory search for the name of the business.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:06 AM

3 posts, read 5,960 times
Thank you all for replies. Will see if UC Davis or Sacramento County Library system has San Diego Union on microfiche (just have to get time off of work to make a day of it) and will check out the Kramer page. Even with all the online information available now, this family tree research is time consuming! Fascinating and fun but takes forever if you can't do it full time.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:05 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,929,377 times
Dude, if you go to the county records office off of Kearney Villa Rd you can use their automated system to check their historical records. This is called a reverse telephone list; it provides three items of information the business's name, the address, and the telephone. It doesn't matter if the business is defunct because as long as the business ever had a telephone number it will be listed in the data base. That means even if the business has been gone for 80 years you can type in the name and get both its old address and its old phone number. Obviously, you only care about the address part but that's how you do the search.

People who do phase 1 and phase 2 environmental investigations use it all the time. Typically they want to research and address and then find out what businesses have historically be at that address but since you only know the name of the business you would input that to get the address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego