Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2007, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,258 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of relocating to the San Diego araea from a suburb of Philadelphia. I wanted to know what people thought of Rancho Sante Fe and also the quality of the schools, publlic and private. Also is RSF a frinedly community?
Please let me know.
Many thanks,
Philly Girl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 03:43 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillly girl View Post
I am thinking of relocating to the San Diego araea from a suburb of Philadelphia. I wanted to know what people thought of Rancho Sante Fe and also the quality of the schools, publlic and private. Also is RSF a frinedly community?
Please let me know.
Many thanks,
Philly Girl
Are you very wealthy? It's the most expensive zip code in the entire *country* by some estimates.

Best schools, large mansions on large lots, an uber-wealthy, uber-private enclave for the mega-rich. Comparable to Holmby / Beverly Hills or Bel Air but with a more rural, hilly feel.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:35 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,822 times
I'd say it's for you if you want a large lot and away from the noise. In my opinion, here are the ups and downs:

Ups:
The nice thing is that it seems private since there are (if I'm not mistaken) certain restrictions of house placement, lot size and such in many areas that eliminates the wall-to-wall houses feel. Often times you can't actually see the houses themselves since they're tastefully set away... which naturally means large lot, which is a plus to me at least.

On the other hand, to many, living in Southern California is all about the location to the ocean, and the natural beauty. RSF is hilly and country like. Personally, I keep my address in SD to enjoy the coast. In my humble opinion, San Diego is beautiful by the water, exactly like what people think socal looks like, and looks like the middle of the desert everywhere else (not the beautiful, red-rock kind either), and that's what turns me off about RSF - since it's a little more inland, I think it looks like the latter, especially the far Eastern parts. Also, since you said schools, I assume you have or want a family. They're great, so that's not the problem, what may be is that there aren't really sidewalks for walking down in many areas (if/when your kids are at the age where they are old enough to go out on their own with friends on bikes or what not). I'm thinking the downtown area's calm enough for pedestrians to use, but other than that, it's a lot of windy 2 lane roads that everyone drives at 60 mph on since their European cars are built to do it rather well. Since it's safe enough crime-wise to let your kids out to play, it kinds stinks if the reason you couldn't let them off your lot is because of the unfriendly roads in many places, you know what I mean?

Those are just my thoughts... overall very nice, comfortable, and seemed welcoming enough, I don't know exactly since I don't live there.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:58 AM

10 posts, read 42,914 times
Was visitng from Philly a few months ago to look at RealEstate and RSF was very very impressed by the spectacular hilly area and the high cost. High quality home materials & construction, beautifully designed homes with central courtyard and fountain, large open lots with low level illumination for roads and signage to minimize light pollution at night, can see stars for miles. Disadvantage is the lack of pedestrian access anywhere, lack of community diversity as tande1n5 described. Would choose that area over the coast if I could afford it and if it was not so isolated.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:04 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,819 times
Wow from Philadel to Rancho Santa Fe?That's a big difference,unless you had tons and tons and tons of money over there too.You might want to check this out if you haven't already.

Rancho Santa Fe, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego