Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,311 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My wife recently accepted a job in San Diego and we are currently in Michigan through the end of the summer. I just started searching for jobs out there and am looking for some information on Corporate Finance jobs in San Diego. I have 10 years of experience in the Accounting/Finance industry and four years of experience as a Financial Analyst/Sr. Analyst. Does anyone have firsthand knowledge Corporate Finance in San Diego? Is there a lot of competition for few jobs or is the market pretty decent? I've found many openings that fit my experience and education, which is surprising given the overall state of the economy and some negative comments in the forums about relocating and finding a job.

I'm also curious about other experiences finding a job in SD while out of state. I've listed my Michigan address on my resume but my wife's family is from Southern CA so I'm wondering if I'm better off listing a more local address and explain that I'm in transition to CA.

Finally, does anyone have estimates of what a person of my experience level would expect to make in SD? I know that there are plenty of sites to look up average data, but I'm more interested in finding out what types of offers other transplants have accepted for similar positions.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 08:14 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,982,842 times
Use your wife's family address. When you get an interview, if they ask about it, tell them your situation.

Anywhere you go, if you use a non-local address on a resume, it's a red flag.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:46 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,949,018 times
I'd also suggest getting a Google Voice # with a 619 or 858 area code to put on applications/resumes.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:04 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,982,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
I'd also suggest getting a Google Voice # with a 619 or 858 area code to put on applications/resumes.
I wouldn't worry about this. Employers know that a lot of people keep their cell numbers. I've got a Maryland area code with a San Diego address, and nobody asks about that.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:14 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,406,837 times
Quote:
This is a great idea. Google Voice is free so it doesn't cost anything and it can still ring to your out of state cellphone and you can even set it to ring to your home phone wherever that is as well. No reason not to set up a local Google Voice # even if you want to keep your out of state cellphone.

After I moved here I was going to change my cellphone # (TMobile said you couldn't have an out of state # and a local SD # at the same time). But too many friends and clients already had my Manhattan cellphone # so I was reluctant to change it and Google Voice solved it getting an 858 #. Works great!

Old 06-18-2012, 07:21 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,300,830 times
Glamma,

I am not too surprised you are seeing job listings for analyst given your experience level. Finance is a position that I have found out here to have a slim labor pool for in more seasoned roles.
SD is not a mega HQ for corporations by any means but there are some and or regional corp offices.Generally speaking you will find more medium sized to smaller business based here.

When my wife's co was trying to look for a fin analyst it took well over 6 months and they had opt for someone less seasoned. I am not sure of the reasons but after talking with their HR person it appeared to be a task. We hired one when I sold the company and she was able to speak several languages due to the global nature of the business. I dont think this is the norm per se, but I imagine the way things are going now, could very well be the start of a small trend in the future.

Do you speak any other languages or have particular experience in a particular industry?

Old 06-18-2012, 01:18 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,591,666 times
what kind of education do you have? with that kind of experience, if you are rolling with a CPA or MBA i suspect you could make fairly decent coin

Old 06-18-2012, 03:00 PM

50,549 posts, read 47,374,783 times
Don't expect more than about 80K in this market and recession.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:51 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,551,271 times
Experienced finance pro should be able to find a job here. Without CPA it is usually in the 80k range. With CPA / MBA and / or specific experience in the domain it can go up to low 100k range.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:49 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,839,794 times
Quote:
I agree. My husband is going to start looking again and I went ahead and got a Google Voice #, since we both kept our Hawaii Cell numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego