Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 03:46 PM

29 posts, read 142,441 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to San Diego with my family and wondering if there is big Russian population and where is it located? Also interested in Russian ethnic stores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 03:51 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
There is a fairly large Ukrainian community in City Heights, and also a Ukrainian church. The closet thing to a Russian ethnic store would be North Park Produce which is a Middle Eastern/Eastern European grocery store. If you're thinking of the type of ethnic stores like there are in NYC, there aren't any here.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:59 PM

Not as big as NYC. Just a small store where we can buy fresh baked bread and deli staff. If there is Russian/Ukrainian community there is probably a store. How is City Heights as neighborhood? Is there a lot of crime?

Old 02-11-2012, 04:29 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnurse1 View Post
Not as big as NYC. Just a small store where we can buy fresh baked bread and deli staff. If there is Russian/Ukrainian community there is probably a store. How is City Heights as neighborhood? Is there a lot of crime?
I doubt if you'll find that there. North Park Produce doesn't have freshly baked bread, and not much deli stuff. The only fresh bread that I've seen there is pita bread, and I live 1/2 a block from the store on the same street, so I'm in there quite often.

Parts of City Heights are ok, and other parts aren't. It just depends.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:38 PM

I guess we can live somewhere in suburbs. Italian bakeries?

Old 02-12-2012, 06:11 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,768,557 times
Around Lake Murray Ave, in La Mesa has Russian and Ukrainian immigrants in the area. There is a large Middle Eastern and Russian grocery store called Vine Ripe Market off Fletcher Pky in La Mesa as well.

A Little off topic but.......

Many of these Russian's have money, and come from well off families, yet live in section 8 housing paying next to nothing in rent, while driving brand new luxury cars. Talk about fraud, and scandalous people taking advantage of our government by lying and cheating the system. Sorry to be so mean, but I see so many Middle Eastern people, and Eastern European's straight from their homeland everyday in El Cajon, driving super nice brand new cars, they have nice luxurious furniture, yet live in the crappiest apts in town in HUD subsidize housing. A lot of them work under the table for cash money, thus it's difficult for the managers to track down where their getting paid from if they're not using Social Security numbers to use as proof of work. That means if one person out of 5 people in the family living in a 1 or 2 bedroom apt are working or are on SSI, the other family members that are eligible to work, do work, but strictly for cash, or by other means like elderly care paid by the state, in which maybe an older person claims that they need a caregiver to take care of them, when really they don't. It's a scam by the family members to bring in huge amounts of money by falsifying the so called disabilities made by their elderly grandparent or parents.

But yeah check out Vine Ripe Market, they got all kinds of imported goods from all around the world.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:36 PM

I can say about everybody. But I heard the same thing when I just came 15years ago. That how come I drive nice car( at that time nissan maxima 8yo) I heard from many people around me. What they did not know that I worked about 60 hours a week to have that car. I could not understand at that time why Americans have so much opportunity and not use them. Like going to college and get better degree( I know what you think not everyone can have money I own 50000 in student loans it was not free for me. Or work overtime when asked. They want to have money they need to get out of ass and work. It not really fair of me to label all the Americans like that(just like you all Russians are not the same). But it all about what you willing to do to have what you want.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:28 PM

48 posts, read 123,274 times
Default Wow

The same situation occurs up here in Sacramento. Russian folks working under the table, getting SS and welfare and disability checks yet working their arses off for cash.

I don't get it: 1) how our government lets this happen 2)how anybody, Russian, European, American, Mexican, et al., can scam this way and still
have any pride in themselves.

Sometimes, it really makes me soooo angry. But then I think along these lines . . . I can get up in the morning, and go to bed at night - with pride.

Everybody, at one time or another, will meet their maker and be judged for their deeds!!!

Now, OFF MY SOAPBOX!

Old 02-12-2012, 02:31 PM

So do I . I am not taking anyone's bread. I am proud of be who I am. Russian- American. And I am assuming if you not one of the Indian Tribes descendent You are also came(or some one from your family) came from somewhere else. Correct. So how is it you better then I am? And you actually on my soapbox.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:34 PM

by the way I have seen a lot of americans who does milk the system as well. Are you angy at them too. Or all only for people to came to this country and not born here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego