Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2007, 09:47 AM

134 posts, read 562,220 times

Advertisements

4.0 off san Diego anyone feel it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 10:36 AM

508 posts, read 1,673,069 times
When? I must have been sleeping.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:43 PM

138 posts, read 1,001,933 times
I felt it. About 12:30p or so?
I also felt one on Sunday morning around 10:30.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:10 PM

989 posts, read 2,440,667 times
I thought San Diego was pretty safe from earthquakes. What are the chances of a large earthquake causing a lot of damage in San Diego?

Old 09-04-2007, 06:46 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
As I've said before there are only two kinds of earthquakes in San Diego, the ones you sleep through, like todays, and the kind that wake you up, but aren't worth getting out of bed for.

The chances of a big earthquake in San Diego seem very small. I don't recall an earthquake in San Diego in recorded history being greater than 4.5, and a 4.5 quake wouldn't even get me out of bed.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:16 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,112 times
Didn't feel it.I mean if I feel it I would be like"Wow Must Be an Earthquake;back to(whatever I was doing)"LOL I felt a lot a few years ago like 04,05

Old 09-05-2007, 01:11 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
As I've said before there are only two kinds of earthquakes in San Diego, the ones you sleep through, like todays, and the kind that wake you up, but aren't worth getting out of bed for.

The chances of a big earthquake in San Diego seem very small. I don't recall an earthquake in San Diego in recorded history being greater than 4.5, and a 4.5 quake wouldn't even get me out of bed.
Not sure how long you've been in San Diego, but the strongest one I felt was back in 1986 and measured a 5.3 on the richter scale. Trust me, it was more than enough to get you out of bed!!

Here's an archive description of it from the USGS (My roommate is an earthquake researcher and provided this info):

JUL 13 CALIFORNIA-MEXICO BORDER REGION. ML 5.3 .
Twenty nine people injured, one critically and at least
50 buildings damaged in the Newport Beach-San Diego
area. Preliminary estimate of damage 720 thousand
dollars. Also some damage reported in the Tijuana area,
Mexico. A small landslide occurred near Lakeside in
eastern San Diego County. Felt throughout the coastal
area of southern California, from Santa Barbara to San
Diego, east to Palm Springs and as far as Yuma,
Arizona.

Here's a map showing this mornings earthquake -

An interesting link to the 30 most recent earthquakes recorded. Notice all of the small aftershocks still happening after this morning's shaker.
Recent Earthquakes for 117-33

Regarding the history of earthquakes in San Diego, the last paragraph suggests that we are at risk for a big earthquake to occur at some time:

Faults and Earthquakes in San Diego County

Thomas A. Deméré, Ph.D.; Curator of Paleontology

Like the rest of southern California, San Diego County has a number of active earthquake faults. These faults generally run in a northwest-southeast direction and are the product of crustal stresses associated with movement of the Pacific and North American lithospheric plates.

From east to west the major active faults consist of the San Jacinto, Elsinore, La Nacion, and Rose Canyon faults onshore and the Coronado Bank, San Diego Trough, and San Clemente faults offshore. Often the traces of these faults are marked by river valleys and canyons such as in the Lake Henshaw area where the Elsinore Fault passes along the northeast shore of the lake, or in Balboa Park where the small Florida Canyon Fault passes along the western slope of the canyon and beneath the parking lot of the Naval Hospital.

Since 1984 earthquake activity in San Diego County has doubled over that of the preceding 50 years. In modern times the strongest recorded quake (seismographs were not developed until 1934) in coastal San Diego County was the M5.3 temblor that occurred on 13 July 1986 on the Coronado Bank Fault, 25 miles offshore of Solana Beach.

Historic documents record that a very strong earthquake struck San Diego on 27 May 1862, damaging buildings in Old Town and opening up cracks in the earth near the San Diego River mouth. This destructive temblor was centered on either the Rose Canyon or Coronado Bank faults and descriptions of damage suggest that it had a magnitude of about 6.0.

In recent years there have been several earthquakes recorded within the Rose Canyon Fault Zone as it passes beneath the city. Three temblors shook the city on 17 June 1985 (M3.9, 4.0, 3.9) and a stronger quake occurred on 28 October 1986 (M4.7).

Ongoing field and laboratory studies suggest the following maximum likely magnitudes for local faults: San Jacinto (M6.4 to 7.3), Elsinore (M6.5 to 7.3), Rose Canyon (M6.2 to 7.0), La Nacion (M6.2 to 6.6), Coronado Bank (M6.0 to 7.7), San Diego Trough (M6.1 to 7.7), San Clemente (M6.6 to 7.7).

Last edited by sdurbanite; 09-05-2007 at 01:27 AM..

Old 09-05-2007, 01:25 AM

213 posts, read 823,033 times
I must've slept through this one. And I didn't feel Sunday's at all. I was at work (in Solana Beach) and felt nothing.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:54 AM

8 posts, read 78,290 times
Wow I was just in Sandiego from NYC and felt a quake that occured in LA. I was on the phone with friend there as it happened, I felt it about 7 seconds later. Never experienced anything like that in my life. Could feel it in every cell of my body, it must have some relationship with the atmosphere in some way. Califronia is simply Beauftil, I want to Move there from NYC, My only fear there would be a sea quake than a huge wave. The best home to live in in an earth quake zone is a trailer with the wheels kept on and no major foundation.....

Old 07-08-2010, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 10,504 times
My brother lives in Corona, and has a bus. in Riverside. He's near the fault line isn't he?? Haven't talked to him yet, and he'll say "Oh...it was nothing." I'm a worrier, so he always downplays things to me and my Mom. He just moved there, but still has a home in FL. We are trying to talk him into leaving CA and going back to FL. We are not happy with his new business choice, so I hope this earthquake scared him into leaving. LOL!!! FAT CHANCE!!! He LOVES it there!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego