Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 09:22 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,999,343 times

Advertisements

I don't know if they just switched it on recently, but today I noticed my AT&T smartphone showing the "4G LTE" instead of just the "4G" symbol in the top right corner.

My download speed on the phone is 8 Mbps which is faster than my cable modem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 08:35 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,293,219 times
Hey dj,

Yes ATT has unofficially started their LTE network, but dont expect consistent service as its still in testing mode. There are certain spots in the county which have LTE switching on/off so if you leave the N County area and go south of the 56 you may lose it. The 4G you saw was kind of like a fake 4G and more marketing ploy than speeds. It is what is ATT and T-Mo have done to compete in the 4G arena. Its essentially a beefed up 3G network, but not new technology.

Yes, the speeds are VERY fast...for right now. About a year after more devices get on the LTE network, you will see that speed drop considerably due to traffic conditions. The burst speeds will be fast, but the longevity may not be there.
Dont expect your battery to last too long once LTE is official. 1st gen devices are the sacrificial lambs for next gen infrastructure

I am guessing you have either the HTC Vivid or the Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket ( LG Nitro was just released yesterday), as they are the only LTE devices that exist for ATT at the moment.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:42 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,980,761 times
Now if Sprint will just get on board. It's crazy. Qualcomm, the company which designs the chips that power many of their phones, is here. We're the eighth largest city in America, and we've got lots of high tech firms here. But we don't have 4G?

Old 12-02-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Hey dj,

I am guessing you have either the HTC Vivid or the Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket ( LG Nitro was just released yesterday), as they are the only LTE devices that exist for ATT at the moment.
You are correct, I have the Skyrocket...and I love it.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:32 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,293,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
Now if Sprint will just get on board. It's crazy. Qualcomm, the company which designs the chips that power many of their phones, is here. We're the eighth largest city in America, and we've got lots of high tech firms here. But we don't have 4G?
I agree with you Tony, but San Diego is a bit of a different animal in regards to its topography to substantially be the first to market with newer cell infrastructure like LTE. Testing many times just takes a hair longer to realize here because of the hills, dips and location of towers. Also availability compared to flatter areas that have less users like say in a place like Dallas. Its not always true, but generally the rule.

Sprint shot themselves in the foot by taking the risk of going all chips in on the other 4G tech...that is non Qualcomm aka wimax.

They have since changed gears and realized it was total fail and have hopped on the lte bandwagon. They will get it within the next year in SD.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:17 AM

50,495 posts, read 47,277,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
I have Sprint and if they cannot improve coverage in the inland areas I'm probably going to have to switch. I'm tired of borrowing a buddies phone to call home when we are camping.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:25 PM

14 posts, read 18,265 times
I don't want to hijack the thread, but any thoughts on which smartphone and provider is best in SD? My work will also entail frequent international travel which will trump cost to a degree. My current phone is a prepaid phone and I only use a pc so I'm not familiar with apple products. I'm relocating in January so I hadn't even thought of how the terrain is a major factor. Thanks.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:29 PM

I have AT&T. One thing I did notice was during our big power outage a few months ago, I could not send or receive any text messages nor could I get or make any phone calls for about 4-6 hours

Old 12-02-2011, 10:10 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,980,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
I have AT&T. One thing I did notice was during our big power outage a few months ago, I could not send or receive any text messages nor could I get or make any phone calls for about 4-6 hours
That shouldn't be a surprise. The backup systems on the cell towers only last a certain amount of time. The time of the blackout probably exceeded the time that the backup was designed to cover.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:11 PM

For some reason people on other networks had service when I didn't (
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego