Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2011, 01:56 AM

267 posts, read 696,620 times

Advertisements

We are an adult couple (middle-aged, gasp) who would like to visit mid-week later this month. We used to visit often when my wife's brother lived in Mira Mesa but haven't visited San Diego for maybe ten years. Back home, we sail (mostly inland lakes) and in San Diego we'd love to get out on the water. Of course, the Maritime Museum and casual seafood will also be on our list.

1. What are neat opportunities for getting out on the water? (We are intermediate sailors with certifications/training, own a couple of small keel sailboats, and have done a few charters in Marina del Rey and other places. I've visited marinas and web sites but would appreciate tips on what is special / who provides a great experience or deal, and tips on out-of-the-way opportunities I may have missed.)

2. Are there reasonable mid-week deals on motels/hotels/inns, preferably near or within sight of the bay or Mission Bay? Really reasonable would be under $100 per night, with some flexibility depending upon value received.

Fair winds, Pat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 09:54 AM

6,421 posts, read 11,653,722 times
I know you can rent sailboats in Mission Bay. If you google (+"San Diego" +rent +sailboats) you can see a list of them.

I don't know anything about lodging costs there.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:02 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,624,090 times
Here's a decent Mission Bay hotel for $99 a nite:
http://www.lmgdata.com/AVLNew/defaul...E24vogww%3d%3d

Old 08-12-2011, 01:04 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,337,196 times
Priceline for hotels. If you know what you're doing, you'll score an awesome hotel for a great price. I've helped my friends use it and they all have been very happy with what they got on Priceline.

For water activities, we mainly use Mission Bay Sportscenter. The staff is awesome and their prices are very reasonable.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:42 PM

267 posts, read 696,620 times
Thanks and keep the ideas coming.
Cruitr, the Dana Inn would be good, with WiFi and the $18 off; I could also try AAA, Entertainment, Priceline, Travelocity, and the usual suspects for discounts.
Mak, I've visited the Mission Bay Sports Center but not yet been a customer of theirs. They have a 2nd hour free special on non-powered boats during mornings only, but with the marine layer acting up I wonder whether there would be any wind in the am; NOAA doesn't show wind filling in most days until about noon. Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego