Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 06:37 PM

6 posts, read 15,691 times

Advertisements

I am a married retired Firefighter/Paramedic (58) wife, (48) with two kids (18, 16). Plan to move to San Diego County from Akron, Ohio in August.

Need some advice about a decent neighborhood and high school. Would also appreciate a contact with a home rental company since we can't afford to buy a house in SD.

My family is African-American, middle class and hard working. I grew up in Harlem, NY and moved to Ohio when I was 25. I have been in Ohio for over 30 years and want to retire to a warm climate. I have been to San Diego many times and I love the county as well as the city. I welcome the opportunity to live with a diverse group of people that San Diego offers.

Wife and I can make it anywhere but we have to be careful about my kids living in a peaceful environment and getting into a decent school.

Thanks for your advice in advance

Your future neighbor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 09:59 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,582,705 times
Craigslist is probably your best bet for a rental property.

What's your rental budget? Are you open to living anywhere in San Diego county?

Old 04-27-2011, 10:24 AM

We figure $1500-1800/month for rent. Want a 3 BR house to rent. Would prefer to live outside of downtown in SD, La Mesa, Spring Valley. Looking for an area that the kids can ride their bikes without issues. Near a park or a place to walk for exercise. Have decided to stay away from south San Diego and can't afford North San Diego. Will check out Craig's list

Thanks for responding

Old 04-27-2011, 10:43 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,582,705 times
La Mesa is a good choice for your budget and requirements.

Here's a place right in town: 2ba Large Single Family Home (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/apa/2347064071.html - broken link)
You could walk to downtown, the trolley, and the park. EZ access to the freeway too.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:14 AM

9,825 posts, read 11,565,256 times
La mesa,El Cajon,lemon grove,Chula Vista

Old 04-27-2011, 01:34 PM

5 posts, read 11,806 times
North La Mesa is awesome. You have Lake Murray for riding bikes,walking/jogging, fishing, feeding the ducks. La Mesita Park for skateboarding or just playing at the playground or in the grassy area. Its very safe. Lots of families and seniors. It borders San Carlos area which is also great. You have views of Mt Helix and Cowels Mtn. You can access both mountains freely to hike up for exercise and be rewarded with gorgeous ocean and lake views. The elementary schools are very good, middle schools decent and high schools okay. Its really a mixed bag with that. You would have to check on that to see what district you would be in. Most people prefer Murdock or Murray Manor for elementary schools.
Nice weather, way more sunshine than the coast. Of course, that means its hotter in the summer too lol.
There are so many beautiful places in San Diego. You will love it here.
Good luck!

Old 05-15-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Craigslist is probably your best bet for a rental property.

What's your rental budget? Are you open to living anywhere in San Diego county?
Trying to stay around #1700.00

Old 05-15-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
La Mesa is a good choice for your budget and requirements.

Here's a place right in town: 2ba Large Single Family Home (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/apa/2347064071.html - broken link)
You could walk to downtown, the trolley, and the park. EZ access to the freeway too.

We have zeroed in on La Mesa but need a 3 bedroom house.

Thanks

Old 05-15-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
La mesa,El Cajon,lemon grove,Chula Vista

Have been told that chula vista has major issues.

Also watch out for for certain areas in LM, EC and LG.

Thanks

Old 05-15-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riley516 View Post
North La Mesa is awesome. You have Lake Murray for riding bikes,walking/jogging, fishing, feeding the ducks. La Mesita Park for skateboarding or just playing at the playground or in the grassy area. Its very safe. Lots of families and seniors. It borders San Carlos area which is also great. You have views of Mt Helix and Cowels Mtn. You can access both mountains freely to hike up for exercise and be rewarded with gorgeous ocean and lake views. The elementary schools are very good, middle schools decent and high schools okay. Its really a mixed bag with that. You would have to check on that to see what district you would be in. Most people prefer Murdock or Murray Manor for elementary schools.
Nice weather, way more sunshine than the coast. Of course, that means its hotter in the summer too lol.
There are so many beautiful places in San Diego. You will love it here.
Good luck!
This was good feedback. We are doing more research into La Mesa. We need a High School for our daughter.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego