Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 8,464 times

Advertisements

I live in San Diego, but now I'm thinking of Moving to Los Angeles
During some research I see that Salaries are more in LA than in San Diego
and thats across the board, I have researched several different occupations.
Can anyone tell me why ?? Salaries are so much lower in San Diego, than LA ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 06:36 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty D View Post
A similar discrepancy exist with SD and the Bay Area. While SD does have some high tech and other job markets, it seems as if most of the jobs here are hospitality and tourism related. Not as much competition for workers I guess?

Old 09-27-2010, 06:56 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
The economy there is predominantly low wage service industry. Wages stay low due to a huge pool of underclass continuously replenished from South of the border plus people who stay even though their jobs have moved elsewhere.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:26 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,482,786 times
Quote:

What types of occupations have you researched?

This one is a pretty high salary:
(after 4 years anyways)

Apprentice Assistant Lineman

Old 09-27-2010, 09:01 PM

2,979 posts, read 1,565,458 times
San Diego has historically and continues to be very strongly anti-union. Employees, upper management excluded, have much less bargaining power here than they otherwise would have. Workers who aren't even represented still benefit from union's presence, which is why compensation is better elsewhere. San Diegans have been brainwashed by the local media to believe any unionism is bad, so a lower standard of living for the same work is a price they pay for it.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:35 PM

141 posts, read 286,858 times
San Diego has been a low wage high rent town for the last 20 years. The cross border workforce destroys the economy in SD. The small biz community is not regulated and pays employees under the table to avoid paying the tax man. The leadership in the city is a joke. If the wages were in line with the cost of living the rich would be squeezed, and the cost of goods and services would sky rocket. The biggest issue in my opinion is that no jobs have been created in San Diego in a very long time. Industry does not want to locate here becuase of the cost of commercial real estate. This also effects what employers pay becuase the rent for the building is so expensive and out of line with what it is really worth.

San Diego is a place for Doctors, lawyers and teachers, college faculity etc.....it is not the place to come and look for a blue collar job, it is not a tourist meca, and the leaders choose this because it make them money. Most of San Diego is occupied by welfare, mentaly ill and disabled. Employers know allot of people come and go and use that to pay a low wage. If you really look at San Diego you cant find one area except sorrento valley that employs a large number of workers that make a fair wage. Los Angeles is massive compared to SD. Wages are not in line with the cost of living but they are better.

I had a freind that wanted to move here in 98. She moved and found a job in a couple of day thru a temp agency. She stayed and got hired with a large California employer. 10 years later that company is leaving San Deigo due to the high cost of doing business here. It pays more on Welfare than it does to get paid miniumum wage.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:56 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
Quote:
It's called the sunshine discount. Basically when a place is very desirable to live you get lots of people wanting to move there which results in wages being depressed.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:23 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
Companies, particularly national or large companies, use cost of living rankings (created by outside consultants) that use 100 percentile as average. LA and OC have always been ranked higher than SD. For example, LA could be 107 where could be SD 100 or 98. This is all based on population, rents, etc.

I've never figured out myself why SD is rated lower, but I imagine because rents and housing is still more in LA. I know employers do use this to control/justify wages.

I think SD has improved greatly in the last decade or so in raising salaries here...but of course the COL has skyrocketed so it still doesn't balance out much.

But there aren't many places where wages are high and COL is low. Where COL is low, wages are low.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:00 AM

788 posts, read 1,877,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrescue View Post
San Diego is a place for Doctors, lawyers and teachers, college faculity etc.....it is not the place to come and look for a blue collar job, it is not a tourist meca, and the leaders choose this because it make them money. Most of San Diego is occupied by welfare, mentaly ill and disabled. Employers know allot of people come and go and use that to pay a low wage. If you really look at San Diego you cant find one area except sorrento valley that employs a large number of workers that make a fair wage. Los Angeles is massive compared to SD. Wages are not in line with the cost of living but they are better.
Rancho Bernardo employs thousands at good wages. The business parks near Poway, and in Carlsbad & Vista also have decent wages.

Agree that is is definitely not the best place to find a blue collared job.

Most of san diego is occupied by welfare, mentally ill, and disabled?
Not really sure where that comes from? random and inaccurate statement...

Old 09-28-2010, 10:32 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benshaton View Post
San Diego has historically and continues to be very strongly anti-union. Employees, upper management excluded, have much less bargaining power here than they otherwise would have. Workers who aren't even represented still benefit from union's presence, which is why compensation is better elsewhere. San Diegans have been brainwashed by the local media to believe any unionism is bad, so a lower standard of living for the same work is a price they pay for it.
You know what the anti-Californians who blame all of California's problems on unions are going to do to you right? I agree with you but expect the anti union conservative backlash in 3...2...1...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego