Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2009, 09:55 AM

9 posts, read 44,267 times

Advertisements

My husband will be working in Temecula. We are trying to decide if we want to live near the ocean (in Carlsbad) and have husband commute to Temecula or live and work in Temecula. We have 4 kids in ele/middle and high school and both areas have great schools. We are willing to give up the house size/yard size that some areas of Temecula offer to live near the ocean in Carlsbad. Any advice on commute? Looks like my husband would drive against traffic into Temecula. He lived temporarily in Temec last year and through the summer so we have a good feeling for the town and all that it offers (we like it alot). BUT, we all love the ocean breezes and proximity of Carlsbad. Any insight out there??? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 10:30 AM

214 posts, read 1,084,472 times
If you can afford it, live in Carlsbad. On the other hand being close to the coast can get old - especially if you are paying through the nose. South Temecula (Redhawk/Morgan Hill, etc) gets afternoon ocean breezes (of course it is not nearly like being on the actual coast). You can get to Oceanside from South Temecula in about 30 minutes. I grew up on the coast and lived most of my life within a mile of the ocean. I don't miss it too much living in Temecula and when I get the urge to see the blue ocean I just take a quick drive.

The commute will be 30-45 minutes to Carlsbad with no traffic. You have to decide if that drive + higher costs are worth the ocean weather and breezes. How secure is your husband's job? Being in Carlsbad means a shorter possible future commute if he were to lose it. If the job is very stable and you plan to be in the area 5+ years, then I would buy a decent place out here (no more than 2.5-3x your household income) and wait out the market in Carlsbad. There is a lot more downward pressure on prices out there. I would maybe even rent out in Temecula and live close to work for a while as the market in Carlsbad continues to shed.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:33 AM

1,061 posts, read 3,584,142 times
Wow, this is a tough one! The beauty of having almost no commute and the fact that you already like Temecula makes me lean toward Temecula. Having said that, property values will rise much more quickly on the coast, and you will have much easier access to everything SD has to offer if you are in Carlsbad, and of course, the weather there is stellar. Also, if he ever changes employers, the chances of his commute being easier from Carlsbad to another location vs. Temecula to another location are very high. Sooooooo, well, I'd go with Carlsbad. Especially once the 76 is widened, his reverse commute will be beautiful. Until then, it will still be something of a pain. There are many people who would give their left leg to have the quandary you have right now . Good luck with your decision!

Old 02-22-2009, 08:37 AM

9 posts, read 44,267 times
Thank you both for your replies! You have both shed some much needed insight! We will come for a house hunting trip next month. We will have to really weigh our options. If we rent, the decision may be made for us depending on availability. Thanks for your help!

Old 02-22-2009, 09:36 AM

43 posts, read 243,749 times
I wouldn't want to do that commute. I really love Carlsbad, and I don't like Temecula (lived in Murrieta for a year, commuted to OC), but 76 is a windy road and that commute a solid 45 minutes each way without traffic, and is a royal disaster in the rain. You can have a mansion in Temecula for Carlsbad house money.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegan View Post
I wouldn't want to do that commute. I really love Carlsbad, and I don't like Temecula (lived in Murrieta for a year, commuted to OC), but 76 is a windy road and that commute a solid 45 minutes each way without traffic, and is a royal disaster in the rain. You can have a mansion in Temecula for Carlsbad house money.
Very true. One thing to note - the 76 is being widened and straightened by 2012-2014. It will be a much quicker drive from Temecula to the coast once this happens (and safer!).

Old 02-23-2009, 09:18 PM

101 posts, read 328,022 times
Does it cool off at night in Temecula during the Hot months?Is it over 100 almost everyday in the Temecula area during summer?How long does it take to see a Pro baseball team?
Thanks.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:33 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,584,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigolwoody View Post
Does it cool off at night in Temecula during the Hot months?Is it over 100 almost everyday in the Temecula area during summer?How long does it take to see a Pro baseball team?
Thanks.
It almost *always* cools off at night, even when it's very hot during the day. There were maybe 3 or 4 days last summer (as I remember it now) that had hot evenings as well. The early summer is not over 100. The hottest part is mid-August through September and a little into October. End of August and early September will get you the 104-107 days, but there are only a couple of them. For the most part it is in the upper 90's during that portion of the summer. For pro baseball, you'd go to San Diego which is 60 miles away. Depending on traffic, this could take you 60 minutes or it could take you up to 2 hours in the busy summer months.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
It almost *always* cools off at night, even when it's very hot during the day. There were maybe 3 or 4 days last summer (as I remember it now) that had hot evenings as well. The early summer is not over 100. The hottest part is mid-August through September and a little into October. End of August and early September will get you the 104-107 days, but there are only a couple of them. For the most part it is in the upper 90's during that portion of the summer. For pro baseball, you'd go to San Diego which is 60 miles away. Depending on traffic, this could take you 60 minutes or it could take you up to 2 hours in the busy summer months.

Or you can make the right choice and head 60 miles the other way to Anaheim to see the Angels. ;-) Either way you have two pro baseball teams within an hour drive, minor league (Storm) 10 minutes away. Pro Hockey an hour, minor league hockey (Ontario) about 40 mins. Basketball an hour and a half.

Half of my friends are padres fans, the other half are Angels fans. We're all Charger fans here though! ;-)

Old 02-24-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
Also about the weather - it seemed like last summer was rather cool. Like dweej said, there were only a few *Really* hot days over 100. I was able to keep the AC off most of the summer and just use my office fan. When I moved our here 10 years ago from the coast, I couldn't stand the heat. I also had to walk a few miles in the afternoon to football practice so I'm sure that didn't help! I don't really notice the heat at all now however. You tend to really get used to it. Summer nights here are awesome. You can go out with shorts and t-shirts and be very comfortable. Cool breezes at night, clear skies, no smog so you can see all the stars out. I love summer nights here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties