Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 10:32 AM

8,979 posts, read 20,406,035 times

Advertisements

I remember, back in the late 80's and thru 90's, I would spend a lot of time in Norco. Before meeting my wife, I'd have breakfast at the Cowgirl Cafe and took her there a few times for breakfast. I shopped at Norco Ranch Outfitters for some of my horse tack and Classic ropes, being that I was, at that time, a PRCA Team Roper "header". Went to the Norco PRCA rodeo a number of times. Went to the old Horse Camp there a number of times. Knew the owner very well.

I knew, when we left So California in 2002, Norco was having a lot of Orange and L.A. County people moving there. The "Old-Timers" of Norco wanted their town to stay "horse" and "western" related, but many newcomers had different ideas. One of their "wants" was to turn the dirt paths on 6th into sidewalks for skateboard users.

From looking at a current map of Norco, a freeway now runs thru it and the town has most definitely got bigger.

But, is it still a "horse and western" town? I remember an article in Western Horseman Magazine that called Norco "Horse Town U.S.A.".

And, I remember going up to Mike's Horse Auction, on Saturday nights as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2021, 02:25 PM

Guess nobody would move to Norco? The smell of horses and dairy cattle wouldn't bother us at all. When the wind is right, we have that smell right here!

Old 03-17-2021, 07:25 AM

Hummmmm, nobody on this forum lives in Norco or thinking about moving to there?

Old 03-17-2021, 09:40 AM

608 posts, read 518,011 times
I've never lived there, but I loved the Cowgirl Cafe for breakfast. Is it still in business?

Old 03-17-2021, 09:51 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,792,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I remember, back in the late 80's and thru 90's, I would spend a lot of time in Norco. Before meeting my wife, I'd have breakfast at the Cowgirl Cafe and took her there a few times for breakfast. I shopped at Norco Ranch Outfitters for some of my horse tack and Classic ropes, being that I was, at that time, a PRCA Team Roper "header". Went to the Norco PRCA rodeo a number of times. Went to the old Horse Camp there a number of times. Knew the owner very well.

I knew, when we left So California in 2002, Norco was having a lot of Orange and L.A. County people moving there. The "Old-Timers" of Norco wanted their town to stay "horse" and "western" related, but many newcomers had different ideas. One of their "wants" was to turn the dirt paths on 6th into sidewalks for skateboard users.

From looking at a current map of Norco, a freeway now runs thru it and the town has most definitely got bigger.

But, is it still a "horse and western" town? I remember an article in Western Horseman Magazine that called Norco "Horse Town U.S.A.".

And, I remember going up to Mike's Horse Auction, on Saturday nights as well.
I have not been to Norco in a long time. had a friend living there and a girl i dated also, but long ago.

Just check Google maps for Norco CA and you will see how it has changed. Some open land, some "ranches" but not like it was.

Old 03-17-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfangle9 View Post
I've never lived there, but I loved the Cowgirl Cafe for breakfast. Is it still in business?
Yes it is, but now called Cowgirl Cafe II. Don't know where the "II" came from, unless this isn't the original one.

You drove from Fountain Valley up to Norco just to have breakfast? Just wondering.

Old 03-17-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
I have not been to Norco in a long time. had a friend living there and a girl i dated also, but long ago.

Just check Google maps for Norco CA and you will see how it has changed. Some open land, some "ranches" but not like it was.
I did look at a map and seen just how much Norco has changed (progress), but I was wondering how the "Old-Timers" are getting along with the ones that moved there. I know, before we moved to Colorado, there was definitely some confliction between them.

Old 03-17-2021, 04:17 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,792,685 times
Quote:
I did look at a map and seen just how much Norco has changed (progress), but I was wondering how the "Old-Timers" are getting along with the ones that moved there. I know, before we moved to Colorado, there was definitely some confliction between them.
Many probably died of older when buying and living there or sold their homes and land for a LOT more than they paid and bought elsewhere that fit their desires. Some may have bought a new home there as their kids may have grown up and they wanted to have less to care for. Then again maybe there are some still in their homes, but I have no idea how they feel. I do know how some in similar rural areas felt as it became far less rural and they wanted out in most cases.

I kinda liked Norco when I would visit a friend there, but this was in the 60's when even OC had a lot of farms.

Old 03-17-2021, 04:38 PM

608 posts, read 518,011 times
Quote:
Yes it is, but now called Cowgirl Cafe II. Don't know where the "II" came from, unless this isn't the original one.

You drove from Fountain Valley up to Norco just to have breakfast? Just wondering.
No, at that time I was living in Brea. A long drive for breakfast, but I spent quite a few weekends out in the desert in those days camping and I always stopped there on the way out.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:12 PM

Actually, who I wanted to hear from also was people who live there right now. Kinda wondered if the dirt path on each side of 6th Street, in front of houses, remained or if they were turned into sidewalks. Wondered if Norco would still be considered a "horse town"? If the PRCA sanctioned Norco Mounted Police Rodeo was still being held there and still drawing in the large crowd it use to?

I know that Mike's Horse Auction is still operating. It was next to Limonite Road (next to Norco, but not in it). I went to that auction a number of times on Saturday evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties