Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 04:21 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,761,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Actually, who I wanted to hear from also was people who live there right now. Kinda wondered if the dirt path on each side of 6th Street, in front of houses, remained or if they were turned into sidewalks. Wondered if Norco would still be considered a "horse town"? If the PRCA sanctioned Norco Mounted Police Rodeo was still being held there and still drawing in the large crowd it use to?

I know that Mike's Horse Auction is still operating. It was next to Limonite Road (next to Norco, but not in it). I went to that auction a number of times on Saturday evening.
I left Eastvale in late 2018. The dirt paths all around Norco are still there and they still pride themselves being a horse town. In fact, the new (in 2018) Stater Brothers bordering Norco and Corona on River Drive has a few stalls for horses...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 04:55 PM

8,966 posts, read 20,393,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
I left Eastvale in late 2018. The dirt paths all around Norco are still there and they still pride themselves being a horse town. In fact, the new (in 2018) Stater Brothers bordering Norco and Corona on River Drive has a few stalls for horses...

Probably not for some, but to wife and I..........absolutely excellent!

I would've lived, without a doubt, in Norco, but it was just too far from where I worked in old Irvine at Red Hill and Alton Parkway. I didn't have a vehicle that would've made it back and forth Mon. thru Friday.

Old 03-24-2021, 01:12 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,963,103 times
I attended elementary and intermediate school in Norco from 1992-1996. I spent the night in Norco back in November, and during one of my recent several trips back, made some trips down memory lane.

Aside from the new developments off of Hidden Valley Pkwy (the former Yuma Dr), east of the 15 seems pretty much the same to me. Hamner near 2nd/Hidden Valley is a big congested mess though, I remember when the Target went in (probably ~ 20 years ago now), and the slow descent to suburban hell seems to be fully completed by now. It's more diverse than it used to be, but the feels of Old Norco can barely shine through all the change.

Like much of the rest of the IE, growth is being wedged into any space it will fit into, and many of the reminders of yesterday are being washed away with it. When I go home, I can still see it, but I feel it less and less.

I left the area in 2004. The idea of Eastvale still seems foreign to me LOL.

Old 03-24-2021, 02:13 PM

So, I guess the Norco Mounted Posse PRCA Rodeo is still in Norco at Engalls Park and the Jurupa Valley PRCA Pro-Rodeo is still in Jurupa (now known as Jurupa Valley)?

Norco always had a giant turn out for their weekend rodeo. So big, the rodeo wasn't even advertised in Orange County at all.

It can funny, and sad, to see how much a town/small city can change in a matter of eleven years. We found that out when we came back here to Colorado from both a year in NC and 10 1/2 in northeastern Florida.

But, my old rodeo days started out in So. California.

Old 03-27-2021, 10:56 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,781,715 times
Quote:
Wondered if Norco would still be considered a "horse town"?
My info is a couple years old, but at the time, it was still a "horse town", in that the horse people really don't like bicyclists. SART, (Santa Ana River Trail), runs from San Bernardino to Huntington Beach. SART is an off-road bicycle path that is interrupted where it goes through the middle of Norco, (and Corona). The path generally follows the river, except through Norco and Corona where cyclists have to use the city streets.

It's not so bad through Corona, except for traffic being relatively heavy. Through Norco? Horse people don't really like cyclists and try to 'run them off the road'. How can I tell they are 'horse people'? Well, a pickup truck with loose straw flying out of the bed is a pretty good indicator.

I finally stopped riding SART end-to-end because of safety concerns going through Norco. Rarely have I felt more vulnerable than when riding through Norco. Haven't the slightest idea why they hate cyclist so much. In a collision between a 17 pound bicycle and a 5,000 pound truck, you can imagine who will come out the better.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-27-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
My info is a couple years old, but at the time, it was still a "horse town", in that the horse people really don't like bicyclists. SART, (Santa Ana River Trail), runs from San Bernardino to Huntington Beach. SART is an off-road bicycle path that is interrupted where it goes through the middle of Norco, (and Corona). The path generally follows the river, except through Norco and Corona where cyclists have to use the city streets.

It's not so bad through Corona, except for traffic being relatively heavy. Through Norco? Horse people don't really like cyclists and try to 'run them off the road'. How can I tell they are 'horse people'? Well, a pickup truck with loose straw flying out of the bed is a pretty good indicator.

I finally stopped riding SART end-to-end because of safety concerns going through Norco. Rarely have I felt more vulnerable than when riding through Norco. Haven't the slightest idea why they hate cyclist so much. In a collision between a 17 pound bicycle and a 5,000 pound truck, you can imagine who will come out the better.
Because cyclist remind the "old-timers and horse owners" of Norco of big-city folks.........the ones they've been trying to keep out, because of what those folks want Norco to be, not what it is.

Old 06-25-2021, 04:29 PM

18 posts, read 38,364 times
I don't live in Norco but I've been working there for 15 years so I've seen how much things have changed. To be honest, not a whole lot. But surprisingly all the major chain restaurants are here. The biggest shocker to me was Birdie's which is a pretty well known chicken sandwich and donut place in LA. Basically nothing you can't find there outside of Korean food.

Biggest changes have been some mid-tier hotels that have been built. Fairfield Inn came in a few years ago and there's another new one (I forgot the name) that's either almost done or just completed. The newest plaza that was built is next to the post office. There's a restaurant (also forgot the name) that looks pretty cool there but I haven't been yet. There's also a brewery called Gray Wolf across the street that's pretty solid. I still think Cowgirls and 6th street deli are the two best things in the city. Chick Norris ain't bad too (Chick Fil A knockoff). Crazy Bros Sushi is the best sushi spot in the city. Oh here I am talking about food again lol.

Old 06-27-2021, 08:18 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,984,135 times
Quote:
Because cyclist remind the "old-timers and horse owners" of Norco of big-city folks.........the ones they've been trying to keep out, because of what those folks want Norco to be, not what it is.
Are you trying to say people never rode backs back in the day? I guess bikes are some new invention.

Old 10-09-2021, 03:09 PM

24,494 posts, read 26,038,861 times
Norco is alive and well. Might have better luck on FaceBook.

https://www.pe.com/2021/10/07/norco-...horsetown-usa/

FB

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2071287126486536

Old 08-17-2022, 08:12 PM

4 posts, read 2,820 times
i live in norco.
the town itself is okay, the people suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties