Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2020, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 7,764 times

Advertisements

Planning to buy property in Running Springs, Arrowbear Lake area and was hoping to get additional information from any locals as far as cell phone service, utility service, winter snow, HWY 330, preparation for winter. This property will be a primary residence and I will be commuting to L.A 2-3 times a week . The wife and the kids will be there full time. Any info would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 11:44 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandobizar View Post
Planning to buy property in Running Springs, Arrowbear Lake area and was hoping to get additional information from any locals as far as cell phone service, utility service, winter snow, HWY 330, preparation for winter. This property will be a primary residence and I will be commuting to L.A 2-3 times a week . The wife and the kids will be there full time. Any info would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!
All cell service is tough, but they say Verizon is the best. I’ve had At&t and t-mobile and they were about the same. Both worked great at my house, but not so much at a friends down the street, go figure? They work fine at all houses with WiFi. On that note, get spectrum for internet. The only other option is frontier, and I’ve yet to hear one good thing about them.

You’ll be with SCE and SoCal gas, no way around that. We’re only there part time so I can’t really help you on want to expect bill wise.

You’ll have burrtec for trash. We have the basic service where we take it to the school on the weekends, but you can get curbside delivery. For that I pay like $100 every quarter

Water and sewer is with the RS water district. Expect $100 a month before you even use a drop of water. Even when we’re there a lot, and in summer when we’re always watering all the trees/plants/flowers we’ve planted it only goes up a bit.

I’m sure you’ve read enough old posts to already to know fog is the bigger issue than snow. Snow will be a factor on whether or not you’ll make it to/from work. While the fog is downright terrifying, at least you can still get home. For this reason you’ll be glad you’re in RS near the 330, and don’t have to drive too far on the 18.

I can’t fully prep you on how to properly winterize because a lot doesn’t apply (i.e. buying a generator or not), but most bad storms we’ve experienced the last 4 years of owning may only keep you in a day or two until the plow truck gets to your street. With that said being near an access road will be huge. As will flat roads into your neighborhood, a flat driveway, and minimal steps up to your house. Hopefully with the fact that you’ll only be commuting 2-3 days a week means you might be able to avoid the worst, and/or have an understanding boss.

There’s a Facebook group called Running Springsers that is very active. The community is very helpful and welcoming to new residents. You’ll be amazed at how friendly the community is up there, and how everyone looks out for each other. There’s also tons of others regarding all of the mountain communities up there, and everything related to them (gardening, traffic, food, etc), as well.

Good luck.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 7,764 times
Hey Thank You Taco Soup!! Very, very helpful!! I'll make sure I check out the FB group.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:25 AM

7 posts, read 23,060 times
Hi.. Mandobizar and TacoSoup, I’m glad that I found this post. This might be the most current post. I am interested to buy vacation house around big bear or green valley lake and lake arrowhead. I see some properties at big bear fit my budget but never thought of the utility bills, I’m glad that TacoSoup mentioned them. I’m buying just for vacation maybe once or twice per month. I live in LA county.
Hi.. TacoSoup, do know anything about W country club blvd area? It is seems to be very close to the airport, I wonder about the noise? And information about the road during snow? Does the snow get cleaned? My husband and I are essential worker, don’t wanna be stuck there when we have to head down for working for Monday, if we plan to spend weekend up there. I also have 2 sml girl 4yo and 7yo, they both enjoy water play and snow, and I was aiming for lake arrowhead becoz it closer to LA but cabins there are out of our reach plus the lake right issue.

Old 10-01-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mery_ay View Post
Hi.. Mandobizar and TacoSoup, I’m glad that I found this post. This might be the most current post. I am interested to buy vacation house around big bear or green valley lake and lake arrowhead. I see some properties at big bear fit my budget but never thought of the utility bills, I’m glad that TacoSoup mentioned them. I’m buying just for vacation maybe once or twice per month. I live in LA county.
Hi.. TacoSoup, do know anything about W country club blvd area? It is seems to be very close to the airport, I wonder about the noise? And information about the road during snow? Does the snow get cleaned? My husband and I are essential worker, don’t wanna be stuck there when we have to head down for working for Monday, if we plan to spend weekend up there. I also have 2 sml girl 4yo and 7yo, they both enjoy water play and snow, and I was aiming for lake arrowhead becoz it closer to LA but cabins there are out of our reach plus the lake right issue.
I’m probably not the best person to ask about that area as we took Big Bear quickly off the table because the extra driving time (30 minutes no traffic, 1hr+ with traffic) compared to Running Springs was a deal breaker, for us. It’s relative though, and maybe we would’ve looked there more if we weren’t already driving 2-2.5hrs from San Diego. I did a lot of research before buying, and studies showed that usage of second homes significantly dropped once they crossed that 3 hour threshold, and I can believe it.

I do know a little about that area around the airport though. We’re across the street from it every year at their Oktoberfest (highly recommend) and I actually went to a thanksgiving in that neighborhood many years ago. Plane noise didn’t seem to be an issue, but then again I don’t know if people are actually flying on thanksgiving. I don’t notice a stream of planes while sitting outside at Oktoberfest either.

It’s close to the 18 which will be the first road to be plowed after a snow storm so it has that going for it, as for the neighborhood streets that’s anyone guess?

There’s a big bear Facebook group as well as a sub on Reddit that you can probably find better answers to both your questions.

I hear you about Lake Arrowhead, but there’s ways around Lake rights. We have the gate codes from a friend and have never been questioned the few times we’ve gone, but I wouldn’t rely on this. When we were looking at a place there without Lake rights the listing agent had another client with a vacant lot for sale that did have them. It’s not uncommon for someone to buy in a neighboring community and go this route. You just can’t buy a dock if the land is unimproved.

Good luck. You’ll love having a second home up here. I’m actually here now doing some work before winter comes.

Old 10-02-2020, 11:12 AM

wow TacoSoup very informative, and I am enjoying reading your post. really appreciate it tho.

I did not even think of ways of entering the lake arrowhead. It is just I have 2 sml girls, they enjoying playing with water, It will be up setting if we go there and unable to enjoy the lake.

I recently seen some properties at lake Gregory, Crestline. This is might be cheaper solution and no lake right issue also we do not have to travel to far as like to big bear lake. You might familiar with lake Gregory. I would love to hear your thought. But I am aware many mentioned drugs issues around Crestline, and I am also worry about lake drought.

I wish you the best with all your work up there. WAs it hard to find skillful and honest contractor up there?

Old 10-02-2020, 11:14 AM

I will definitely looking to big bear lake community page and around. thank you for the suggestion

Old 10-02-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
wow TacoSoup very informative, and I am enjoying reading your post. really appreciate it tho.

I did not even think of ways of entering the lake arrowhead. It is just I have 2 sml girls, they enjoying playing with water, It will be up setting if we go there and unable to enjoy the lake.

I recently seen some properties at lake Gregory, Crestline. This is might be cheaper solution and no lake right issue also we do not have to travel to far as like to big bear lake. You might familiar with lake Gregory. I would love to hear your thought. But I am aware many mentioned drugs issues around Crestline, and I am also worry about lake drought.

I wish you the best with all your work up there. WAs it hard to find skillful and honest contractor up there?
Yeah, I wouldn’t want to rely on using Lake Arrowhead without Lake rights, but without knowing your budget a place without them and a vacant lot within Arrowhead Woods might be doable?

We looked at some places in Crestline, but ultimately it was too far from the closest ski resort, Snow Valley. There’s certainly areas of Crestline that aren’t as desirable as others, like the Valley of (dis)Enchantment and Top Town, but generally around the Lake is nice.

Another area to consider is Green Valley Lake. The lake is significantly smaller than the others, but they still have a small sandy beach with lifeguards on duty. There’s also a playground, and volleyball, basketball, and tennis courts.

All property owners are considered “shareholders” and get discounted beach and fishing passes, and discounted boat rentals. I believe you can use your own if you’re a shareholder? We go rent peddle boats up there occasionally, and I see people on paddle boards that are nothing like the ones they rent. Motorized boats aren’t allowed on the lake.

You are very secluded up there, which has its pros and cons, depending on your personality. And as much as I love having a hardware store, a market, and several restaurants nearby in Running Springs, I could get behind having a place up there. I’m always looking at places up there and there’s a lot of great deals because it is a bit more removed, and isn’t considered an option for full time residence with many that have to commute off the mountain for work. It can be tricky getting into/out of during winter though, and this is something to be considered.

And yeah, skillful and honest contractors I’ve heard can be hard to come by, but I do most the work on my place by myself, or with the help of a friend or neighbor. I do have a great painter who’s also does handyman work for people. The sign of a good contractor is one that doesn’t ask for payment until the job is done. If they ask for money up front after giving you an estimate move onto the next one.

Old 10-03-2020, 07:53 AM

Hi.. TacoSoup,

I have looked in to green valley lake and arrowbear as well but there are limited properties. I try to stay bellow 150K, I know this is might be impossible to get any home up there. I could only afford mortgage $800 per month. I understand that I could possible spending more money once we get the property such as for furniture and appliances.

My husband and I are like you, we love areas with restaurant and a little bit of grocery store since we have 2 young kids.

I have looked in to lot or land, I see some options at lake arrowhead ares, but I just don’t know what is the city regulation on building? Weather or not I’m saving or end up spending more in building my own new property? Plus don’t know where to get contractors up there?

I see lot at lake arrowhead start from less than 10K, I was thinking to get manufactured home and installed in the lot, but possible need some foundation work, and pipe or electrical line to be done. Also I don’t know if any of manufacture home willing to carry it all the way up.

Look like you know much information about dan ben mountain areas. I only been up there 2x in my life, just to stop by lake arrowhead and stay few night at big bear. Never been there during winter time due to snow, it might be scary to drive. I will visit running spring, when my husband get weekend off work. He is mail carrier, during this time, usps forced him to work 6 days. We have to wait until election done.

My husband and I plan to retire up there but it is still long road to go. While right now we can use it as vacay home. We barely start our career. It is just good to have some investment early in plus I mortgage interest still in the lower side right now.

Old 10-07-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Hi.. TacoSoup,

I have looked in to green valley lake and arrowbear as well but there are limited properties. I try to stay bellow 150K, I know this is might be impossible to get any home up there. I could only afford mortgage $800 per month. I understand that I could possible spending more money once we get the property such as for furniture and appliances.

My husband and I are like you, we love areas with restaurant and a little bit of grocery store since we have 2 young kids.

I have looked in to lot or land, I see some options at lake arrowhead ares, but I just don’t know what is the city regulation on building? Weather or not I’m saving or end up spending more in building my own new property? Plus don’t know where to get contractors up there?

I see lot at lake arrowhead start from less than 10K, I was thinking to get manufactured home and installed in the lot, but possible need some foundation work, and pipe or electrical line to be done. Also I don’t know if any of manufacture home willing to carry it all the way up.

Look like you know much information about dan ben mountain areas. I only been up there 2x in my life, just to stop by lake arrowhead and stay few night at big bear. Never been there during winter time due to snow, it might be scary to drive. I will visit running spring, when my husband get weekend off work. He is mail carrier, during this time, usps forced him to work 6 days. We have to wait until election done.

My husband and I plan to retire up there but it is still long road to go. While right now we can use it as vacay home. We barely start our career. It is just good to have some investment early in plus I mortgage interest still in the lower side right now.
I would not recommend buying an empty lot with the plans of building on it unless you have deep pockets. There’s a lot of restrictions, and in the end it’ll cost you way more than buying. I was more talking about buying a vacant lot in Arrowhead Woods so you could have Lake rights, but buy a cabin in a surrounding area.

$150K is going to be tough, but doable. Places at that price point go quick, so it’s best when you’re ready to have a local realtor who can see it and move quick if you can’t get up right away. I do have a friend who lives up there that’s a realtor who has had a place for 30 years up there, but he does travel a lot. He could be an option as you get ready though. With that said, patience pays off too. While we love so many things about our place, it seemed like something as good or maybe even better kept coming on the market after we bought. This is always the case though.

My wife’s friend is now looking for a place up there with the same budget and this gem in Arrowbear just sold for $150K. While there’s nothing else like it now for sale, it just shows they do come up

https://www.redfin.com/CA/ARROWBEAR-...m_content=link

I like this side of the 18 in Arrowbear as it seems to be a little less hectic than the side with the lake and park, and this place backs up to the National Forest. There’s also a nice “swimming hole” in Deep Creek on this side too.

Driving in the snow can be terrifying, but they do a good job getting the roads plowed, and you just plan accordingly. We’ve called off many weekend trips because of them, and have also left early as well. You’ll get a feel for when you should maybe pack up leave early.

My advice is go up as much as possible and just drive around the different towns and different neighborhoods. It’ll make it a lot easier to eliminate a lot of places when you do see places come up. And keep checking the listings to get better feel for what places go for so you can tell when one is a good deal or not. A lot of realtors will gladly sell you any house, even if it’s not right. I found this with many listing agents when talking to them without my realtor. Shameless. Good luck and feel free to ask any other questions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties