Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2017, 10:26 PM

104 posts, read 213,771 times

Advertisements

Throughout the IE, especially in San Bernardino county, there are a lot of high voltage power lines and substations. Many newer homes are built right along them. Like in Fontana, Rancho, Chino and Ontario.

What do you think about buying a home near one or even next to one? Besides the health risks, it is aesthetically ugly. But how often does it deter a buyer from considering the home. And how much of a "discount" do you think a buyer would want?

There are two neighborhoods I'm looking at specifically. One is in Fontana, Shady Trails. There are a few power lines that go through the community. The house in specific I like is one home and a neighborhood street away. I can see it from the back yard and from inside the master bedroom.

In Ontario, the homes in Eden Glen have a power line running north south. And there's a huge substation on the south end. It's like you're in a power like war zone. But I do like the homes there a lot.

Wondering how it's going to be for resale. What do you think?

As far as health effects go, if I lived there for 10 years... any substantial damage?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 11:43 AM

567 posts, read 787,294 times
There's a debate. Personally, I would not live there, and as a real estate investor, I would not buy there. I'm EMF sensitive around power lines and have seized when close.

When I buy a property, I stipulate that the lines are underground. It's harder to find in SoCal, but neither of my properties are near above-ground lines.

Ask the Eco Geek: Does living near power lines cause health problems? | Health | Green Living

Old 11-27-2017, 08:43 PM

661 posts, read 832,634 times
Buy an EMF meter or see if the local utility company has done a study. Some say there is zero risks, while others say even the meters in the side of our homes are a risk.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:29 AM

66 posts, read 81,707 times
Perception is reality, if people perceive that EMF is an issue then to them it is. I personally went through the same exact exercise.

I passed on the home, I try to stick to the golden rule of real estate location location location......you can update a kitchen/bathroom etc. You can't move power lines.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:33 AM

104 posts, read 213,771 times
The home is about 10 houses away from the large power lines. The EMF doesn't bother me as much as the "view" of seeing them. You can't hear the buzzing from the house either. I'm okay with it. Mostly thinking for resale. I know houses right next to it have sold but I just want to make sure mine will sell just as quickly as one that is not near one.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:23 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,031,845 times
Your house will likely not sale as fast or for as much as one further away from the line.

Also be aware that many times when the environmental work is done for a line, that work establishes a corridor for the line. That means that more lines can go into the area where that line is---as many lines as they can safely fit. So, if you are seriously considering the house, look at the area with the line, and think about if more lines could fit in that disturbed area. IF so, you house could get an even worse view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties