Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2015, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 12,711 times

Advertisements

My husband got a job in Loma Linda. We are still in two minds whether to move or not. We currently live in San Diego (moved here 2 mo ago!) and now it looks like we have to move again. It is overwhelming for both of us... I've read some negative posts about this place and was wondering how is it like to live there? We always wanted to live on a big city and were really happy when we moved to San Diego from a small town. How small is Loma Linda? Is there any places a young couple can go to? What entertainment? Fun things to do? Please help! I wanna know about this place as much as possible. Thank you in advance)))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 04:29 AM

11 posts, read 45,180 times
I live in Redlands which is next door to Loma Linda. Redlands has some good nightlife, theater, a young university demographic alongside the older more established crowd (along with a touch of 'old money' crowd), is building outdoor malls and expanding like crazy, and you're within driving distance of places like Riverside with a younger demographic and lots of fine places to visit, drink and eat. So this area can be good. Loma Linda itself is, hmmm, pretty baron in terms of things to do. If someone asked what's the best thing about Loma Linda? I'd have to say 'it is close enough to other places where there's stuff to do'. I've been to San Diego many times. The idea of moving from San Diego to Loma Linda seems unquestionably like a downgrade to me. Unless your husband's job offer provides good career opportunities, or an increased ability to save financially, I would be hard-pressed to recommend moving.

I think San Diego is about a two-hour drive from Loma Linda. Why not take a trip at the weekend and drive around for the better part of a day. I think it will make your decision much simpler (which I realize you may have already made by now, given your post was two weeks ago).

Old 09-14-2015, 11:14 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,386,514 times
Loma Linda is mostly a community of Seventh Day Adventists. They are generally orderly, quiet, polite and keep a good yard. I don't believe there is mail delivery in Loma Linda on Satuday's because of this.

Redlands if the better play, much more to do.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:59 PM

642 posts, read 2,551,280 times
Loma Linda is way safe and quiet. WHat do you like so much about SD? The nightlife, the culture, the beaches? I just moved right outside LL in Redlands and it is nice. LL is very religious with the 7th day adventists and hardly any crime. Seems mostly medical jobs there. Many Asian restaurant. I just noticed a new thai place. This whole area is going to be a down grade from San Diego & if thats what you like I suggest stayong there. But if you are looking for a safe area around here this is it.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:49 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,867 times
It's no "San Diego" per se, but Riverside would probably be preferable to Loma Linda. It's a 20-minute commute.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:59 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times
I really don't understand peoples love affair with Riverside on this site. Most of the city isn't that nice. The woodcrest area to Loma Linda is a solid 30 minute drive even if you take Barton off the 215 instead of driving down to the 10E.

Redlands is obviously a better choice.

What part of SD do you live in? That's too vague. La Jolla and La Mesa are very different but still "San Diego".

Old 10-02-2015, 01:35 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I really don't understand peoples love affair with Riverside on this site. Most of the city isn't that nice. The woodcrest area to Loma Linda is a solid 30 minute drive even if you take Barton off the 215 instead of driving down to the 10E.
Downtown could be considered nice.
92506 is virtually all nice. 92508 is all nice. Much of 92504 too.
92505/92503 are pretty nondescript, and would work for most people.

I mean, yes, skip Casa Blanca, some of Eastside, and Arlanza; beyond that there isn't a whole let left to hate.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:54 AM

40 posts, read 95,723 times
Agreed. I currently live in 92508, and it's nice. It's suburbia, which is okay if you're into that sort of thing. I don't understand why Riverside gets such a bad rap. Perhaps it's because I don't frequent the lesser than desirable areas of Riverside? It's a city with 300k+ people. It's bound to have good and bad areas. Areas like Sierra Heights, Mission Grove, Orangecrest, all along Victoria, and Hawarden Hills are all undoubtedly nice, though.

To the OP: I currently work in Loma Linda, and have lived in both Loma Linda and Redlands. Loma Linda is a safe place, and most people who live there either work in healthcare like myself and/or study at Loma Linda University. It's not a bad place. Healthy living is encouraged, and its residents are generally well-educated. There's just not much to do within city limits.

I would live in Redlands if I were you. it's about a 15 minute commute, and you can take backstreets depending on where you live and work. I actually wouldn't mind moving back to Redlands, and I just might do so. If it weren't for me starting grad school, I would buy a house in Redlands. I lived there in my early to mid-twenties for 5 years, and it's a nice place to live.. I actually lived in Redlands with a friend who graduated from SDSU (and did the whole fraternity thing), and he grew pretty fond of the city. Redlands is a college town with mostly middle class-upper middle class individuals. It has a decent bar/nightlife scene, pretty good restaurants, and a huge cycling crowd. Lots of educated people, and lots of people who work at LLU. It has a good sense of community, and I was never bored. Is it LA or SD? Absolutely not, but it's much safer than LA, and is much cheaper than SD.

Good luck with your decision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Downtown could be considered nice.
92506 is virtually all nice. 92508 is all nice. Much of 92504 too.
92505/92503 are pretty nondescript, and would work for most people.
I mean, yes, skip Casa Blanca, some of Eastside, and Arlanza; beyond that there isn't a whole let left to hate.

Last edited by losertalents; 10-09-2015 at 01:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties