Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 09:42 PM

4 posts, read 11,335 times

Advertisements

I have read many posts about individuals relocating to the IE from various states, but most have a family and are looking to purchase a home etc. I am single, 26, no kids and just carrying a dream. The reason of relocation is that I got a entry-level job offer in the sports industry, the company is based in Fontana area. So please allow me to pick your brains.

The job will be paying around $40,000, not much even here in Chicago, but it is a foot in the door. But after reading this thread I became concerned https://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...la-misery.html

Seems like 40K isn't much around these areas.

If I can get some suggestions on places to rent (apartment) where I don't have a ridicuolous commute would be nice. Budget is limited, about $800 to $900/month.

And looking from a single person's perspective -in general- would it be a good decision to come out of the comfort of my home town Chicago and move to SoCal? Please give some reasons + or -, I am definately confused at this point to what awaits me.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 10:22 PM

3 posts, read 7,902 times
Default apartments

You could look for an apartment in that range around 7th street in Upland.
Upland is about 10 minutes from Fontana. We have a friend who lives there.
The apartments are small but have nice grounds. I think it would work for a single guy. Good luck!

Old 10-03-2007, 10:37 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,379,536 times
its definitely worth it for a young person to move out here. you make never get this once in a life time dream of living in beautiful SoCal. the area is generally quite safe. not much for singles, but then again, thats by LA standards. compared to other cities, even the sleepiest LA towns would be lively.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:40 PM

320 posts, read 1,734,978 times
first look in Upland Ontario or rancho Cucamonga, safer cleaner areas. don't know about prices.
what team is located in Fontana. I too work for a pro sports team Parttime but only thing I think of is the new AEG arena is Ontario or California Speedway. If its AEG and the new arean I am very jealous, trying to get in there myself, if we don't move to CO

Old 10-04-2007, 01:34 AM

153 posts, read 638,115 times
Ditto what Cali909 said. You're coming from Chicago? To the Inland Empire? You will rue the day. If you make this move, one day in the very near future, you'll remember back to what that person on city-data said and you'll say, "damn. she was right".

Fontana is KLAN country. The Klan and horses. There. Hope this helps.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:41 AM

119 posts, read 881,849 times
You can on $40 K in the I.E. Mostly in Older apartments built between 1960-late 1990's. Some night life. Most of the action is still on the coast. Check out Craig's List: craigslist: inland empire classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events Riverside Press-Enterprise: PE.com | Southern California News | News for Inland Southern California Inland Valley Daily Bulletin:
DailyBulletin.com - Home. for more.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:51 PM

14 posts, read 34,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantos View Post
I have read many posts about individuals relocating to the IE from various states, but most have a family and are looking to purchase a home etc. I am single, 26, no kids and just carrying a dream. The reason of relocation is that I got a entry-level job offer in the sports industry, the company is based in Fontana area. So please allow me to pick your brains.

The job will be paying around $40,000, not much even here in Chicago, but it is a foot in the door. But after reading this thread I became concerned https://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...la-misery.html

Seems like 40K isn't much around these areas.

If I can get some suggestions on places to rent (apartment) where I don't have a ridicuolous commute would be nice. Budget is limited, about $800 to $900/month.

And looking from a single person's perspective -in general- would it be a good decision to come out of the comfort of my home town Chicago and move to SoCal? Please give some reasons + or -, I am definately confused at this point to what awaits me.

Thank you in advance.
Hey, I live in So Cal, Upland, Ca....It is really nice here, but I am going to be moving soon also, I am looking in Connecticut....I love LA but it is so expensive, housing prices are mad......I know that you would love California though, Yes, there is everything imagineable to do here, Sun, Ski, Surf, I am kinda sad to be going, only because i am scared of the unknown also, but I love the look of Connecticut, I do have to convince 3 teens to come with me though, thats the toughest, If you are single this move should be no sweat, you'll never know until you try it!!!!!!!!Good Luck. ps....I came from England back in 1980 on a 1 way ticket and have been here ever since....

Old 10-04-2007, 04:57 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,884,691 times
The Inland Empire will be quite different from Chicago and it may have a more Suburban Type feel that what your used to,but their are many nice areas in the Inland Empire,but you'll probably be paying more than $800-$900 a month to live in one of these nice areas,unless your lucky to find a good deal.

The Inland Empire is Huge and has a Population of over 4 Million,so driving around will give you a better idea on what your looking for,because one area can differ greatly from another.

You'll also be in Southern CA,so you'll have access to a Great Variety of Shopping,Dining,Clubs,Entertainment,Outdoor Activities,Attractions,Shows,Special Events,Sporting Events,Etc.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:23 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,379,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
The Inland Empire will be quite different from Chicago and it may have a more Suburban Type feel that what your used to,but their are many nice areas in the Inland Empire,but you'll probably be paying more than $800-$900 a month to live in one of these nice areas,unless your lucky to find a good deal.

The Inland Empire is Huge and has a Population of over 4 Million,so driving around will give you a better idea on what your looking for,because one area can differ greatly from another.

You'll also be in Southern CA,so you'll have access to a Great Variety of Shopping,Dining,Clubs,Entertainment,Outdoor Activities,Attractions,Shows,Special Events,Sporting Events,Etc.
I'm sorry, but your posts are really starting to annoy me. You capitalize things that don't need to be capitalized. Why do you this. It frustrates me every time i read one of your posts. I'm sorry for being rude, but I just had to get that out there.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:45 PM

683 posts, read 4,619,957 times
I'm 25 and I just moved from Corona to Chicago. Why? Because there was absolutely nothing to do in Corona or much of the IE. In my opinion, it is really hard to meet young people there...the area just doesn't have many appealing things. You have seen posts about families moving here, yes...but singles? Not so much. However, I made $41K and I was fine renting my own one bedroom. I also had a car payment, regular bills, etc, and had enough for savings. My apartment was $900 a month in rent, and very spacious. This is the low end, but you can find places, and many have first month rent specials. I lived in the older part of Corona. It isn't the most desirable place, and I wouldn't walk alone at night, but I think it looks worse than it really is. I enjoy Chicago a lot more. If you're moving to California, the IE isn't going to be the best representation. Yes, you'll have access to everything "jesse" mentioned, but not in the same proximity that you have in Chicago. Sporting events? You'd have to drive at least 45 minutes. Dining? Yes, but mostly just chain. Shows, attractions, special events? Maybe the local movie theater...

Don't get the IE confused with LA, because it's not, and it's very different. The only better thing (in my opinion) is that it's a little cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties