Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2007, 01:32 PM

62 posts, read 249,187 times

Advertisements

Hello, Californians! I hope you can help me....
My 18-year old son is currently in the Marine Corps and stationed at Twentynine Palms in California. I notice on the map that Palm Springs and Desert Hot Springs are fairly close (within an hour or so drive) to the base, and if I fly into the Ontario Int'l airport and rent a car, I should be able to stay somewhere fairly close to the base. All that said, I need some advice on where to stay that's nice, yet very reasonably priced. I am having to raise the travel funds on my own, and in order to afford to fly my youngest daughter with me, I need to find lodging pretty cheap. The kicker - we will be visiting the area during the week of Christmas, because that's when his next leave can be. I'm already checking on flights, but my head is swimming with all the spa resorts and such that are close by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 10:42 AM

31 posts, read 146,403 times
You could stay in Twenty Nine Palms, although there is not a whole lot there. I would suggest using a web site like expedia.com or orbitz to help you find a place to stay. I found this on expedia for Twenty Nine Palms:
Super 8 Motel Yucca Valley Joshua Tree National Park
Lowest avg rate$69.00
Get ThankYouSM Points Yucca Valley, CAhttp://media.expedia.com/hotels/1000000/60000/51300/51291/51291_5_t.jpg (broken link)
The entrance to Joshua Tree National Park is just 3 miles from this hotel set in a desert community 30 miles from Palm Springs.
More lodging info
Book online or call 1-800-551-2409 to speak with an Expedia agentTraveler Opinion
3.3 out of 5
3+ reviews
Availability request: 1 room
Expedia Special Rate Fri Dec-21-2007 to Fri Dec-28-2007
Expedia Corporate Rate rooms provide flexibility and value for business travelers. The $25 cancellation fee is waived for these rooms. In addition, these rooms are eligible for loyalty points and may include amenities such as broadband and continental breakfast."

I would suggest staying with your common hotels like Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn, Days Inn (etc.) some of the local unknowns can be scary. You also might try TripAdvisor.com. They offer reviews of places along with costs and that might help you find a decent place to stay. I always visit that web site when I go anywhere just for the reviews. Hope this info helps

Old 09-04-2007, 03:05 PM

5 posts, read 23,188 times
Be VERY careful of Desert Hot Springs. HUGE crime/gang/low life problems. Better to stay in Palm Springs (45 minutes or so to 29 Palms) but see what Yucca Valley has as far as chain hotels.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 6,178 times
Hi there.I had found this site and was checking out the messages.Very interesting.I just joined to answer your inquiry.I have lived in southern California for the last thirty years.Right now have been living in Landers,fifteen miles north of Yucca Valley for the last twenty-two years.I really like it here and there is plenty to do here in the desert.I can see the Marine Base from my house east of me.The base itself is about twenty-five to thirty miles east of my place.Here is a list of motels and hotels in Yucca Valley: motels,hotels listings in Yucca Valley, CA at Yellowbook.com Any of them are pretty good.Just call for prices.Everyone from Twentynine Palms and Joshua Tree shops in Yucca Valley.Here is a list of hotels,motels in Twenty-Nine Palms: motels,hotels listings in Twentynine Palms, CA at Yellowbook.com You also said you were using Ontario airport.Palm Springs has a large airport too: Palm Springs International Airport Check to see if you would be able to get a flight to Palm Springs airport.I flew out of Ontario airport to Wisconsin and flew back to Palm Springs airport a couple years ago.They have rental cars there too.If you want more info on sites here let me know?

Old 11-05-2007, 03:55 AM

5 posts, read 46,583 times
I would stay in Yucca Valley. Palm Springs is kinda far from 29 to be driving back and forth, you have a steep grade to get over from Palm Springs (yucca Valley is on top) about 20min straight shot from Yucca Valley to 29. Palm Springs is nice though......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties