Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 02:13 PM

5 posts, read 10,311 times

Advertisements

Hello guys,
I am new to this forum, but I feel like it will answer a lot of my questions. I currently have a job offer to work as an engineer at a manufacturing plant in Riverside. I am 24 and it will be my first "real job with my degree. I currently live in Salt Lake City. I am wondering on you opinions on places that I would like to live. I am an avid surfer (born and bred on the Outer Banks of NC) as well as an avid mountain biker and hockey player. I also love to snowboard, but that is not as important as the previous activities. I believe that I will be making pretty good money around $50,000 a year. I am single and love to be active, rather than sit around. I would like you opinions on places that I may like to live. I have never been to California and I am guessing that the Gang/ Violence I see on tv are much over dramatized in most area. I feel that I would fit in better in smaller community rather than in the downtown of a larger city. I have never lived in an area larger than 30,000 people.
Thank you
-Tucker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 06:56 PM

16,805 posts, read 40,206,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastertuc View Post
I have never been to California and I am guessing that the Gang/ Violence I see on tv are much over dramatized in most area.
That's refreshing to see for once. Yes, you are correct.

Here's the #1 rule to sanity and well-being when living/working in Southern California: Live as close to your job as possible. Keep your commute to a minimum.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:59 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,333,836 times
riverside is a pretty large place and has both good and not so good areas. obviously try to live close to work, which may take a bite into your surfing habit (riverside is an hour from the coast). however, hockey and great mtn biking are easily accessible in the riverside area. snowboarding is also an hour away which would be convenient in the winter.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:05 PM

Could you guys let me know which areas would be some of the better places to live and the areas/ neighborhoods i should defiantly avoid?

Old 03-04-2011, 12:06 AM

9 posts, read 23,180 times
Riverside is large and spread out, but there are good and not so good pockets around the city. I live in Corona now but I used to lived in la sierra heights and I enjoyed it but it was on the edge of a sketchy area. Woodcrest, canyon crest, mocking bird canyon, orange crest, and the wood streets are good. If you're looking to rent an apartment in a good area, you're probably looking at around $1000/month. The good apartment complexes require you to earn 3 time the rent so you're going to be fine in that regards.

The main transportation route is the 91 freeway. If your job is not close to the freeway then you may end up with a long commute. The freeway gets crowded early in the morning.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:40 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,333,836 times
Quote:
Could you guys let me know which areas would be some of the better places to live and the areas/ neighborhoods i should defiantly avoid?
where in riverside will you be working? it has been mentioned multiple times that riverside is a large city. where you will be working in riverside will affect the recommendations people give you.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:49 PM

The plant I will be working at is
KROGER RIVERSIDE CREAMERY
1500 EASTRIDGE AVE, Riverside Ca, 92507-7109

Old 03-05-2011, 08:45 AM

9 posts, read 23,180 times
Quote:
The plant I will be working at is
KROGER RIVERSIDE CREAMERY
1500 EASTRIDGE AVE, Riverside Ca, 92507-7109
I had a friend who about 4 years ago lived in the Castle Rock apartments very close buy there so I looked it up. Luxury Apartments Sycamore Highlands - Riverside - Castlerock at Sycamore Highlands - Riverside, CA 92507 Nice place. Rent is about $1100/month but many of the luxury apartment complexes give you a month free when you sign a year lease (this is in liu of charging more for month to month contracts).

You're also very close to moreno valley. The houseing market really hit mo valley hard. If you wanted to save money you could easily find a room to rent out in someone's house for half the cost of renting an apartment. There are some nice places in mo val and some not so nice places.

You're best bet might be to rent an apartment for awhile and then save for a house. You can buy a house in mo valley at a great price. Cheaper than rent long term.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:35 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,848,503 times
Canyon Crest would be best since it's a little younger. I'm 25 and before the recession was looking in the area (I'm from there...decided I would commute to LA to save money)...Canyon Crest seemed to have more of what I was looking for (safety, good nature reserves, close to entertainment, a young vibe, walking distance to markets). No, it's def. not SoHo or LA, but by virtue of being next to UCR, it's def. better than many other places.

Also, it's right nearby where you work.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:09 AM

Thank a lot guys, I really appreciate all the input. I am getting very excited for the move and the new job.
-Tucker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties