Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2008, 08:15 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,136,542 times

Advertisements

Radar is showing showers moving toward Bexar County from the west. Maybe there is hope of getting some rain tonight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 08:38 PM

898 posts, read 2,564,727 times
the radar shows it to be right over my house but i'm getting nothing....virga maybe?

Old 04-27-2008, 08:40 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,249,615 times
It's raining here... but very light. We won't see too much.. just enough to get the ground wet.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:44 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,055,326 times
It rained for about 10 seconds in my front yard a few minutes ago. It's chilly, though!

Old 04-28-2008, 05:10 AM

380 posts, read 1,280,564 times
Loving this cool front were having, reminds me of winter

Old 04-28-2008, 06:55 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,720,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StarRanch View Post
Loving this cool front were having, reminds me of winter
We only have 7 months to go for the cool front to come back. Nearly half way there...

Old 04-28-2008, 08:30 PM

Tonight will without a doubt be colder than last night. Clear skies, very low humidity, and calm winds spell ideal conditions for radiational cooling... therefore mid 40's or even cooler especially north of town looks like a great bet.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:05 PM

Alright, I know it is still a little bit early to be looking this far ahead, but I have noticed some trends that will be crucial towards constructing a long-range forecast this summer. This is all preliminary educated guesses and is subject to many "flies in the ointment" and amendments as warranted. Feel free to jump in and tear me a part -- or any other input, of course!

Overall, my gut feeling tells me that this summer will go down as a hot and dry one. I feel this way because the current storm track does not favor frequent storms over our area -- and in fact, nearly all winter and spring long, the storms tracked well off to our north. Areas that were in drought last year are now seeing plenty of rain this year, and conversely the wet areas last year are dry now. This is crucial for guesstimating where the key weather player in the summer, yes...the dreaded "heat" ridge, sets up shop.

There is a direct coorelation to ridge development and warm-dry weather. We have enjoyed a warm, and definitely dry spring in comparison to other areas of the Southern United States. That is, the rain helps keep atmospheric thicknesses lower (the higher the atmospheric thickness.. usually the higher the pressure -- in the summer). There is also a direct coorelation between atmospheric thickness and temperature.. the higher the heights, the warmer the temperature. Such an environment is not ideal for storms to follow.

That means that the ridge will most likely develop over the region that is the warmest and the driest, as there is the most ease. Unfortunately, based on the current Winter and Spring trends, that region is here. My current gut feeling tells me that this summer will be similar to that of 2006, which was indeed a very hot one for San Antonio.

Of course, we still have more than a month to monitor the latest trends and patterns, and we'll have a better idea on where to expect the "heat high" to set up. If we are able to get more rain in May and in June, we may luck out and I will have to of course readjust my forecast.

What are your thoughts on this summer?

Old 04-29-2008, 12:15 AM

146 posts, read 517,544 times
Default Is Austin cooler than SA during the hot months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
Alright, I know it is still a little bit early to be looking this far ahead, but I have noticed some trends that will be crucial towards constructing a long-range forecast this summer. This is all preliminary educated guesses and is subject to many "flies in the ointment" and amendments as warranted. Feel free to jump in and tear me a part -- or any other input, of course!

Overall, my gut feeling tells me that this summer will go down as a hot and dry one. I feel this way because the current storm track does not favor frequent storms over our area -- and in fact, nearly all winter and spring long, the storms tracked well off to our north. Areas that were in drought last year are now seeing plenty of rain this year, and conversely the wet areas last year are dry now. This is crucial for guesstimating where the key weather player in the summer, yes...the dreaded "heat" ridge, sets up shop.

There is a direct coorelation to ridge development and warm-dry weather. We have enjoyed a warm, and definitely dry spring in comparison to other areas of the Southern United States. That is, the rain helps keep atmospheric thicknesses lower (the higher the atmospheric thickness.. usually the higher the pressure -- in the summer). There is also a direct coorelation between atmospheric thickness and temperature.. the higher the heights, the warmer the temperature. Such an environment is not ideal for storms to follow.

That means that the ridge will most likely develop over the region that is the warmest and the driest, as there is the most ease. Unfortunately, based on the current Winter and Spring trends, that region is here. My current gut feeling tells me that this summer will be similar to that of 2006, which was indeed a very hot one for San Antonio.

Of course, we still have more than a month to monitor the latest trends and patterns, and we'll have a better idea on where to expect the "heat high" to set up. If we are able to get more rain in May and in June, we may luck out and I will have to of course readjust my forecast.

What are your thoughts on this summer?

I'm trying to compare SA weather to weather in Austin. There's only an hour's difference between the two cities, so is it safe to assume that Austin isn't any cooler during the hot months than SA?

Last edited by benandgrace; 04-29-2008 at 12:16 AM.. Reason: error

Old 04-29-2008, 06:53 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,136,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benandgrace View Post
I'm trying to compare SA weather to weather in Austin. There's only an hour's difference between the two cities, so is it safe to assume that Austin isn't any cooler during the hot months than SA?
Maybe a degree or two. There's not a significant difference.

I've noticed that Austin gets a few more thunderstorms than San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio