Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 02:53 PM

15 posts, read 52,559 times

Advertisements

get dishnetwork
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 07:12 PM

107 posts, read 278,043 times
so i went to buy my digital antenna and got hounded by the dtv guy. i wish someone had been with me to see his face when i told him i dumped tw. i told him i didnt watch tv enough to pay for it and he tried to sell me a dtv contract. he went on about how they had real hd and tw didnt. i went on about how i didnt care.

this move has been great. i no longer feel obliged to turn on the tv and justify that bill. i honestly wouldnt even have gotten an hdtv if i could have gotten a good old fashioned crt model.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:08 PM

340 posts, read 646,775 times
Default Give them a call

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
The fees that cable companies pay cable networks for programming seem to go up every year. I haven't seen my bill yet, but this is likely the month that this year's fees get passed along to subscribers in the form of a rate adjustment. If you don't like it, the solution is to make a subscription adjustment and downgrade your service.
The fees did slowly increase. And I agree...call TWC. That's what I did. The awesome thing is that I called and said I was planning on downgrading...and they offered to knock $30 off/month for 12 months if I kept the bundle I had been using! Apparently, they have some new offers...even if you're an existing customer...and you'll never find out if you don't ask.

So my advice is to go ahead and give TWC a call, because they won't call you to offer you the discount.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:42 PM

117 posts, read 344,125 times
Get D-Link's Boxee Box and drop Cable/Satellite forever

Old 03-09-2010, 08:53 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,142,473 times
I have something like the Boxee Box. It's called the ZeeVee box and I have dropped cable and satellite tv from my mind.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:06 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,826,360 times
I agree about the Boxee. Amazing device and once more programming comes online for it, it's really going to change the way people watch things.

For now, I can also highly recommend going with a ROKU-HD box. They're cheapish ($60-120), depending on what box you get, they connect to a wireless or wired network and can stream VUDU, NetFlix, Blockbuster and Amazon Movies-on-Demand. It supplements my home theater system and I absolutely love it. If you're running a decently quick network, you can easily stream SD/HD with surround sound encoding and it looks fantastic.

Roku Digital Video Player | Watch Netflix, Amazon Video On Demand and MLB.TV on Roku Player

BN

Old 03-10-2010, 12:51 AM

107 posts, read 278,043 times
i just got a blu ray player. most come with internet/wi-fi capability and have different streaming capabilities. the one i bought has netflix, blockbuster, vudu, youtube, and pandora and a few others. im slowly losong all reason to have to get up off the couch. if someone would invent a streaming device that dispenses grilled cheeses id buy three and i only have one tv.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:37 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,142,473 times
It's awesome to hear all these new devices coming out in the market for streaming internet video. I don't want to jinx it but I'm pretty sure networks will start having folks pay a subscription fee to view internet content but if us unconventional internet video folks don't grow, we can still hope for free internet videos!

Old 03-12-2010, 02:08 PM

944 posts, read 2,043,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
It's awesome to hear all these new devices coming out in the market for streaming internet video. I don't want to jinx it but I'm pretty sure networks will start having folks pay a subscription fee to view internet content but if us unconventional internet video folks don't grow, we can still hope for free internet videos!
They will have to eventually, but I think it'll a while. You'd be surprised how many people WILL find a way to pay that bill and keep cable TV in some form.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:39 PM

443 posts, read 956,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post

That's exactly at the heart of Time Warner's move awhile back to start charging for bandwidth. They are fully aware that their days as a content provider are numbered. They won't go down without a fight, and neither will AT&T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio