Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 4,582 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know if there have been coyote sightings in the Gold Canyon, Henderson Pass/Thousand Oaks area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 10:25 AM

173 posts, read 597,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdh712 View Post
Does anybody know if there have been coyote sightings in the Gold Canyon, Henderson Pass/Thousand Oaks area?
We have coyotes all over San Antonio. Its one animal that can adapt to pretty much anywhere.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:28 AM

81 posts, read 218,279 times
Yeah there are coyotes everywhere. Why? They won't bother you.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:59 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,968,633 times
I've seen coyotes around the Huebner Oaks shopping center, they are everywhere.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:58 AM

2 posts, read 4,582 times
Thanks -- I was wondering because I have two cats that are indoor cats but one wants to go out in the early morning and I know cats disappear and sometimes it's coyotes. I live in apartments on Henderson Pass.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdh712 View Post
Thanks -- I was wondering because I have two cats that are indoor cats but one wants to go out in the early morning and I know cats disappear and sometimes it's coyotes. I live in apartments on Henderson Pass.
As a responsible pet owner, you should never let your cat/dog run free. I do volunteer work for a cat rescue and cats are well known as "coyote snacks". In addition to cars, people, other predators etc. cats are not up to the task of surviving outdoors. Your cat, should it stay strictly indoors, will live considerably longer than one thats allowed to go outside. Henderson Pass and a cat running loose is a good recipe for a tragedy.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:07 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCovertCarry View Post
As a responsible pet owner, you should never let your cat/dog run free. I do volunteer work for a cat rescue and cats are well known as "coyote snacks". In addition to cars, people, other predators etc. cats are not up to the task of surviving outdoors. Your cat, should it stay strictly indoors, will live considerably longer than one thats allowed to go outside. Henderson Pass and a cat running loose is a good recipe for a tragedy.
I don't think you can make a blanket statement like "As a responsible pet owner, you should..." because all circumstances are different. Cats are most certainly up to the task of surviving outdoors. They do it all the time. Indoor-exclusivity is only something that has happened in the last 50 years, and really moreso since shelters have begun pushing it as a requirement for adoption. Obviously, living near busy roads, it isn't ideal to let your cat out. I agree with that. I'm just saying there are plenty of happy healthy cats that are allowed to go outside.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:18 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,663,793 times
I've seen one in the SBC Center

Old 12-09-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I don't think you can make a blanket statement like "As a responsible pet owner, you should..." because all circumstances are different.
I respectfully disagree. If you are a pet owner and you let your pets run wild outdoors, you are part of a very large problem in this city. Past that, why would anyone who supposedly loves their cat/dog allow this in the first place. Maybe Im just different, but my cats are like family to me. I would never put them at risk like that.

Quote:
Cats are most certainly up to the task of surviving outdoors. They do it all the time.
Sure, for a very short period of time when compared to inside-only cats.

Quote:
Indoor-exclusivity is only something that has happened in the last 50 years, and really moreso since shelters have begun pushing it as a requirement for adoption.
And why do you think that is?

Quote:
Obviously, living near busy roads, it isn't ideal to let your cat out. I agree with that. I'm just saying there are plenty of happy healthy cats that are allowed to go outside.
Im sorry, I simply will never agree that its ok to let them run around outside. Too many risks and too much heartbreak when you find them flattened in the road.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:56 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,044,257 times
Back to the topic at hand... if you have cats you might want to keep them in when there are coyotes around, including during the day. I have witnessed a coyote snatch a cat in broad daylight and it wasn't pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio