Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 06:39 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times

Advertisements

First of all, I know that UTSA is getting a football team.

I moved to San Antonio 1 year ago, and I've been absolutely amazed about how much people in San Antonio are into football.
Missouri has nothing on San Antonio, even though Missouri (about 1/3 the size of Texas) has 2 NFL teams and many college football teams.

I went to a Division III school with 5000 students and it had a football team that was known for being extremely bad.
One time, they went 2 seasons without winning 1 game.

Football being so big in San Antonio,
can anybody explain why UTSA, being a Division I school with almost 30,000 students doesn't have a football team?

I think that is the absolutely most amazing thing about San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 06:45 PM

927 posts, read 1,391,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
First of all, I know that UTSA is getting a football team.

I moved to San Antonio 1 year ago, and I've been absolutely amazed about how much people in San Antonio are into football.
Missouri has nothing on San Antonio, even though Missouri (about 1/3 the size of Texas) has 2 NFL teams and many college football teams.

I went to a Division III school with 5000 students and it had a football team that was known for being extremely bad.
One time, they went 2 seasons without winning 1 game.

can anybody explain why UTSA, being a Division I school with almost 30,000 students doesn't have a football team?

UTSA initiated a football program in 2008 and the team will begin play in 2011 at the Alamodome. What really kills me is the lack of an NFL team in San Antonio. I'm sick to death of all the Dallas Cowboy coverage here.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
UTSA initiated a football program in 2008 and the team will begin play in 2011 at the Alamodome. What really kills me is the lack of an NFL team in San Antonio. I'm sick to death of all the Dallas Cowboy coverage here.
I'm aware of that, but this is why I ask...

The school I went to has about 5000 students in a town of less than 20,000 people.
Guess what? I just found out that their football program has been around for more than 100 years.
And they can't win a freaking game to save their lives.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:18 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,708,956 times
Because they like selling the shirt "UTSA Football - Still Undefeated."

Old 11-01-2009, 09:40 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,027,568 times
It's about money. They haven't had the financial support to start-up and fund a team. They have few sponsors/donors and don't sell many tickets to current athletics events. It wasn't until the athletic fee was doubled by a student vote into 2007 that football could be funded.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:08 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,736,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
There is no way the Cowboys and Texans owners are going to allow an NFL team in San Antonio to compete with their revenue, TV, ticket sales, etc.

We should have gotten the Saints when we came close to having the chance.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,126,094 times
Quote:

Enrollment at UTSA has gone from less than 20,000 students to almost 30,000 students in this decade. But the institution itself is only 40 years old and it's been primarily a commuter campus for most of that time. Both of those make a big difference in student life.

There are other Division I schools that don't have football, but they're mostly in the Northeast (e.g., Villanova), where college football isn't as big of a deal as it is elsewhere.

San Antonio is also the largest media market in the country without college football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
We should have gotten the Saints when we came close to having the chance.
IMO, San Antonio never really had a chance on that one. The NFL didn't want to look like it was abandoning New Orleans in its hour of need and it appears that Benson was mostly just using his hometown as leverage. If he really wanted to move his team, the precedent is there and he should have been able to get it done by waiting out New Orleans instead of signing a new contract with the city. Signing a new deal there proves that he used the leverage to get the deal with N.O. that he wanted with them.

Last edited by Bo; 11-02-2009 at 11:19 AM..

Old 11-02-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
That's what I'm trying to understand,
if football is so big in San Antonio, it doesn't make sense to me that UTSA didn't have a football team before.

Is it political? corruption? Was it a move to force people to ask for an NFL team?

I don't buy the reason that a college football team is too expensive, when I bet anything that the attendance plus food would easily pay for the team.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,126,094 times
Quote:
That's what I'm trying to understand,
if football is so big in San Antonio, it doesn't make sense to me that UTSA didn't have a football team before.

Is it political? corruption? Was it a move to force people to ask for an NFL team?

I don't buy the reason that a college football team is too expensive, when I bet anything that the attendance plus food would easily pay for the team.
I just don't think it was a priority before. If you've been on campus over the last few years and seen the number of academic buildings that have appeared, it's clear that the campus's focus has been on growing its academic programs. Believe it or not, there's more money to be made by reeling in grant and research dollars than there is in sports. The building boom, particularly in the science area proves that UTSA has done a fabulous job of bringing those funds to campus.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I just don't think it was a priority before. If you've been on campus over the last few years and seen the number of academic buildings that have appeared, it's clear that the campus's focus has been on growing its academic programs. Believe it or not, there's more money to be made by reeling in grant and research dollars than there is in sports. The building boom, particularly in the science area proves that UTSA has done a fabulous job of bringing those funds to campus.
Thanks for the explanation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio