Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 12:53 AM

13 posts, read 154,470 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I recently relocated to Texas and need to obtain a Texas driver's license.

However, the DMV website says that I need to register and insure in Texas all vehicles I own. Does this apply to a vehicle I co-own and keep in another state? I co-own a vehicle with my father (my father is the primary owner) and that vehicle is not coming to the state of Texas anytime soon.....

Is this vehicle I co-own and keep out of state going to prohibit me from getting a Texas driver's license? If so, this will force me to break the law by not getting a Texas license within 30 days of residency.

Does the DMV run some sort of database search? How would they know if I own a car out of state?

Would my co-ownership status wave me from this requirement?

Thanks in advance for any information or advise offered!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 02:15 AM

791 posts, read 3,959,211 times
No you do not need to register any cars that will not be entering the state of Texas. You are only required to register cars you own that will be in the state for periods longer than 30 days (the amount of time it takes to establish residency). To my knowledge, neither DPS nor the local tax assessor/collector who registers your vehicle do a database search for vehicles under your name. You should not have any trouble getting your license as long as you can show that at least one car is registered under your name in the state.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:21 AM

Thanks so much for the info!

Unfortunately, the only car I have ownership of (well, co-ownership) is the one in Utah. I do not have any cars in Texas to register in my name. Is this going to be a problem?

I live close to where I work, so I just walk or ride a bike. My boyfriend has a couple cars registered and insured in Texas (he's from here)- I just use one of those when I do need to drive....

Right now, I am working on contract and do not know if I will be staying in Texas permanently. If I do stay (pending an extension of my work contract), I will probably bring the car here from Utah... But, that wont be until December, if at all.

I've been advised just to hold on to my out-of-state i.d. but I am finding that not having a Texas ID is quite an inconvenience. For example, quite a few bars and restaurants here will not serve a person alcohol without a valid Texas driver's license. I also need a Texas license to get a library card, etc.

ug!

Thanks again for the info....

Old 07-21-2009, 03:35 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,191,140 times
It is not necessary to own or have registered a vehicle to get a driver's license.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:51 AM

791 posts, read 3,959,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It is not necessary to own or have registered a vehicle to get a driver's license.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSitterud View Post
However, the DMV website says that I need to register and insure in Texas all vehicles I own. Does this apply to a vehicle I co-own and keep in another state? I co-own a vehicle with my father (my father is the primary owner) and that vehicle is not coming to the state of Texas anytime soon.....
I took the OP's original message about "all vehicles I own" to mean she owned a car that was physically in Texas and one that was not in TX. If the OP does not own any cars in Texas then she does not need to register any cars before getting a license. Simply tell DPS that you do not own any cars in TX and have nothing to register. You will however need to provide proof that you are insured, and most likely, that certificate will have the vehicle information for the car in Utah, so you likely will need to get something from your insurance company indicating that the car is in Utah but you are insured in Texas (which may have different minimum coverage requirements/limits than Utah).

From the DPS website:
New residents moving into Texas, who have a valid driver license from their home state, have 30 days after entry into the state to secure a Texas driver license. To apply for a Texas driver license, applicants will be required to:

Applicants age 18 and over with a VALID out-of-state driver license
  • Provide proof of Identity.
  • Provide proof of Social Security Number.
  • Provide proof of Texas vehicle registration and proof of liability insurance on all vehicles owned.
  • Complete required forms available at any Texas Driver License office.
  • Pay the required fee.
  • Pass a vision exam.
  • If you have a VALID out-of-state license in your possession, it must be surrendered at the driver license office.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:02 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,615,008 times
So are you moving here or are you just here for work? If you're living here temporarily for work, you don't have to get a TX DL.

I lived in Manhattan for nearly a year on a project and I kept my TX residence. I didn't change anything to reflect I was living in NY and not in TX since I knew I was only there temporarily.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:02 PM

I am just here temporarily for work until October. Hopefully my contract will be extended and I can stay.....

I would just keep my out of state ID but Texas law says that I need to get a Texas license if I am here longer than 30 days.... AND I've been getting grief about not having a Texas license when I go out for drinks, etc. Apparently, an establishment is only "insured against liability" if the ID is a Texas license.

The car is registered, insured, and kept in Utah.

I don't have Texas insurance because I dont have a car here and I'm only here temporarily.

I really need to have Texas liability insurance to get a Texas dr license, even if I don't have a car here?

Thanks again for all the info!!!

Old 07-21-2009, 01:22 PM

452 posts, read 1,027,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSitterud View Post
I am just here temporarily for work until October. Hopefully my contract will be extended and I can stay.....

I would just keep my out of state ID but Texas law says that I need to get a Texas license if I am here longer than 30 days.... AND I've been getting grief about not having a Texas license when I go out for drinks, etc. Apparently, an establishment is only "insured against liability" if the ID is a Texas license.
Hmmm...how do you explain drunken tourists? This seems a bit unrealistic to me. I have had numerous out-of-town visitors who have no problem being served after presenting an out-of-state ID. I do know, however, that people with the "new" Texas DL have trouble because restaurants and waitstaff are unfamiliar with the new look.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:42 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,615,008 times
So do you not have a permanent address elsewhere?

Old 07-21-2009, 01:49 PM

545 posts, read 1,061,397 times
DPS will hand out a Texas driver's license to anybody that can give them an address, so long as you do not own a car in the state.

For awhile, the website even encouraged you to come in and get an extra one that you could surrender to another state if you were moving temporarily. They may still tell you to do that.

I've known people that renewed their Texas license via the mail for over 10 years without stepping foot in the state! They go to "valid without photo" after so long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio