Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 11:29 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times

Advertisements

In case you didn't know (and I think most of you do), one of our fellow CD-SA'ers--SilverCreek78250--has an excellent blog where he does a lot of restaurant reviews (just Google that name and the word 'blog' and you will find it).

I actually knew SC78250 back during our glory days in the USAF, we were on the same team in Bosnia and oddly enough, finding good places to eat was a priority there as well! (Remember the restaurant named 'Texas' in Sarajevo? I still have one of their business cards!). So I trust his judgment and so far he has not steered us wrong.

Well, SC78250 recently reviewed the Mr Cod fish & chips restaurant that replaced the Pizza Hut at Grissom and Timber Path, and being that I was once stationed in the UK and was actually back there as recently as this past January, I just had to try it myself, as I have been jones'ing for some UK-style fish & chips since I had some in the UK last January. So tonight I drove over to try out Mr Cod. Of course I shared my thoughts on his blog, but I thought I would include them here so we can get a dialogue going as well.

Overall, I would say that it wasn't bad, but it wasn't that good either. For one, the piece of cod I got was small, way too small for the price. Secondly, it had a strong odor, which is an indication that it wasn't fresh. And the taste matched the odor, not fresh. Getting small, stale cod did not make a positive impression on me.

The fries were a bit closer to what you'd get in the UK, except they were cut too thin. British chips are thick, about 4x thicker than what they served. And since Mr Cod is a UK-based chain (see Mr Cod - franchise opportunities (fast food restaurants) in the UK and worldwide), I would expect the old corporate HQ to ensure the dimensions were correct. However, they were very fresh, and SC78250's comments about them being cut on site is very believable. A few were overcooked (British chips area always a bit soggy, but that is their charm), but they had the potential to being very close to the original!

So overall it wasn't what I hoped it would be, and the place didn't feel like a franchised restaurant. Much like German restaurants here, I don't think we'll ever see anything close to a real UK chippie! SC78250 didn't give it his coveted "Tasty Treat" rating, which when awarded is usually a guarantee that a scrumptious meal is in order (note I didn't say 'yummy!' ), and I agree with his withholding that honor this time around. Like SC78250, I plan to give Mr Cod's another try; but I won't be in any rush as there really wasn't anything to make me hurry back to eat there again.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering about all my restaurant reviews over the past few days, the semester just ended and my next class doesn't start until Monday. So technically this weekend is my 'summer vacation;' but after this next class and a comp exam, I will be done and can return to being the lazy slug I was once before!

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 02:44 AM

214 posts, read 501,856 times
The last time I had good fish and chips it was on the Pacific coast in a really upscale joint in Vancouver, for my birthday. I remember telling my parents upon being asked where I wanted to go that we were in British Columbia. and that it'd be years until I had my next chance at real fish and chips. That was my 19th birthday believe.

There is nothing like a wonderfully crisp fried Halibut, with batter sweet with beer, and big fat British style fries to top you off. The locally brewed beer in Victoria is the perfect accompaniment for this kind of meal. It is rich and tasty. If any of you should ever get the chance to visit Victoria (chance of a lifetime) please make sure and head to the pier for some real fish and chips.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:59 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
Yea, PW has great seafood, but...a local seafood on the coast can be just as good!

Thanks for the review, Major.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:54 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,597 times
I've been searching for 'authentic' British fish and chips as well. No where to be found.

Best fish and chips ever at the Fish Bar and Cafe in Ely, UK

Old 05-31-2009, 08:04 AM

778 posts, read 2,503,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post

Overall, I would say that it wasn't bad, but it wasn't that good either. For one, the piece of cod I got was small, way too small for the price. Secondly, it had a strong odor, which is an indication that it wasn't fresh. And the taste matched the odor, not fresh. Getting small, stale cod did not make a positive impression on me.
I think so far, the lack of consistency has been the big factor here. The fish we got was a good size (for the price), yet you are not the first person to get a smaller piece. Mine didn't have an odor at all, course I had doused it with malt vinegar before getting started, so who knows, maybe I had masked the smell. But the taste was good.

One thing I would like to point out - and M2 hit on it - is the fries really are supposed to be soggy. The charm of the whole thing - if they can eventually pull it off - is that it is supposed to be like what you get when you go into a shoppe in England. You can't compare this stuff to Sea Island or Red Lobster; it is a different way of preparing it.

What they really need is a huge bar with some good room temp beer. Then, people could go in and knock down a pint before getting their fish, and it might be more like the real thing.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:45 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
I've been searching for 'authentic' British fish and chips as well. No where to be found.

went to school there so was my fav haunt

Old 06-04-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post

Are you from Ely ???

Old 06-04-2009, 06:49 PM

Just went to Mr Cod it was absolutely awful don't want anyone to think thats what Fish and Chips are like in England.
The chips were skinny greasy things and the fish was dry small and nasty.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:20 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,185 times
Mr. Cod? Really? That's the best name they could come up with? I won't try it based on that alone.

When I want fish and chips we go to the Fox and Hound. I'm sure it isn't authentic, but what the hell. I've never been to England, so what do I know from authentic.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:54 PM

317 posts, read 1,751,040 times
We had thought about eating there this weekend, but I think we'll pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio