Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 09:08 PM

778 posts, read 2,502,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
Mr. Cod? Really? That's the best name they could come up with? I won't try it based on that alone.
Apparently, the name came with the franchise - from the UK.

My guess is they are like the Fred's Fish Fry of fish & chips over there. When I lived in the UK (20 something years ago) I don't recall there being chain fish places, just little corner shops or pubs that served it.

Kudos for the folks here giving it a shot. My wife and I were pleased when we went and will go back again, but obviously, consistency is not the strong suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 12:05 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,604,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmjsm View Post
We had thought about eating there this weekend, but I think we'll pass.
Try it I might just have got an off day - but definately not like the fish and chips we ate at home had better from Red Robin

Old 06-10-2009, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,004 times
Default mr cod grissom rd

Went by with some friends yesterday and we tried a few things. Overall not bad. Beer would be nice. In England you usually have a few beers first. The "Fish" was OK compared to what we get from J Anthony etc but not up to English standards. The cod was just as it should be and, although a bit small and pale the flavor is worth the extra. Fries almost like home cooking. Surprise surprise best of all was the southern fried chicken. Haven't seen this in england.

So far the best we found here.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:03 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,982,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millie61 View Post
Are you from Ely ???
I'm not from Ely, but spent countless days in the town. Miss it so much.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:59 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,604,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
I'm not from Ely, but spent countless days in the town. Miss it so much.
I went to school there it is a lovely little town and the fish and chip shop is the best.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:32 AM

81 posts, read 232,330 times
Me & the wife went and got a fish sandwich from there, it looks like they took one Fillet & split it in two put one half in my sandwich & one in my wifes sandwich.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:59 PM

53 posts, read 134,137 times
Default Mr cod

The owners are very personable . They stated wanted to have more locations. SA always needs more fish places. The fish batter on the fish wasn't cooked though. The fries were soggy w/ grease.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:34 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,192,693 times
Sounds like they need to be more consistent in their presentations along with better execution. I'm afraid to go there for fear I'll hit one of their many "off" days. I hate "hit or miss" places. They need to get their act together or there won't be any "other" locations.....

Old 08-20-2009, 09:55 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
I found this blog about San Antonio burger places
San Antonio Burger Blog

Old 08-21-2009, 05:33 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,981,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Sounds like they need to be more consistent in their presentations along with better execution. I'm afraid to go there for fear I'll hit one of their many "off" days. I hate "hit or miss" places. They need to get their act together or there won't be any "other" locations.....
Amen! That is the very reason I have yet to go back. My first experience was disappointing, and with all the great restaurants in this town there really is no reason to give anyplace a second chance if the odds are still that it will again be disappointing!

Unfortuately, I wish there was a good fish & chips alternative; but there isn't. Mr Cod is a UK chain, and I was expecting better. As stated earlier, I was in Huntingdon back in January, and had some of the best fish & chips ever! I have been jones'ing for them ever since! It was just some small chippy at the end of the town centre, but the food was perfectly done. Dang, it makes my mouth water just thinking about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio