Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 02:51 AM

63 posts, read 227,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
How far in advance can you renew your license? Do they still send you a notice or can you just go online approximately a month before and renew it? I looked through the FAQ's online and it didn't answer this question.
As far as online/phone renewal, it states you can if:

Your license or Identification Card expires within one year as of today's date and has not been expired for more than two years.
Your last renewal was completed in person at a Texas Driver License office.

There are some other stipulations also.

See here under the 1st question: https://www.texasonline.state.tx.us/...n_US#question1

Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 02:56 PM

60 posts, read 246,164 times
Thanks everyone for all of your responses. I emailed the customer service at the link Libra1018 provided. I didn't know they were transitioning to a new system so hopefully that is the reason it's taking me so long to get mine.

Thanks again and when it finally arrives I'll let you all know,
Chris

Old 05-20-2009, 11:19 AM

81 posts, read 232,456 times
when I went they asked for proff of my SS# not sure if they still do that, just a heads up though

Old 05-20-2009, 02:29 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,873 times
The source of your delay is most likely due to the fact that the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) was hit by the Conficker worm, causing massive system-wide problems. I'll just leave it at that and provide a source or two (http://www.kvue.com/news/top/stories/041709kvuedps-bkm.e5c0f6f3.html - broken link) to back up my claim.

--Dim

Old 05-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
The source of your delay is most likely due to the fact that the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) was hit by the Conficker worm, causing massive system-wide problems. I'll just leave it at that and provide a source or two (http://www.kvue.com/news/top/stories/041709kvuedps-bkm.e5c0f6f3.html - broken link) to back up my claim.

--Dim
I know your links confirm that's what DPS told journalists, but I haven't read of any place anywhere else in the world that suffered serious adverse effects from Conficker, despite reports of millions of infected PCs.

Protecting Against the Rampant Conficker Worm - PC World
Quote:
Once a machine is infected, the worm can download and install additional malware from attacker-controlled Web sites, according to the company. Since that could mean anything from a password stealer to remote control software, a Conflicker-infected PC is essentially under the complete control of the attackers.
If it's true, it seems to me like journalists should be asking whether Texans' personal information on file with DPS has been compromised.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:29 PM

60 posts, read 246,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post

--Dim
Yeah they had this story on WOAI this morning. I guess that is why my license is taking so long. My temporary renewal card ends on June 5th so I hope I get it by then. If I have to go back to the DPS office I'm not going to be happy. I emailed their customer service yesterday but no reply yet.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:53 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,209,594 times
DH got his in the mail today. It took about 4 weeks.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:18 PM

63 posts, read 227,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSA View Post
Yeah they had this story on WOAI this morning. I guess that is why my license is taking so long. My temporary renewal card ends on June 5th so I hope I get it by then. If I have to go back to the DPS office I'm not going to be happy. I emailed their customer service yesterday but no reply yet.
Chris, if you can handle the wait time (sometimes you might be on hold), I might suggest calling over waiting on the email. We had to call a few weeks ago for my husband and we just put it on speakerphone while we waited and just surfed the net until they came on--took about 10 minutes.

Liz

Old 05-20-2009, 09:23 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,992 times
They just did the report on KENS, the problem with the computers on 4/15 and the conficker virus added a week, plus the computers need an upgrade, saying now, the renewal takes about 8 weeks to get your license in the mail. The state is letting officers know that if you have a renewal in the mail and your paper license is expired that they will excuse the expired one while they are working thru this extra delay.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:57 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,873 times
Bowie,

I have it on very good authority that the Conficker outbreak caused a major disruption in DPS computer systems. Let's just say that, in order to prevent continuous re-infection, they basically shut things down while all affected systems were being re-imaged. Since Conficker is a worm, it is capable of self-replication and doesn't need any user interaction in order to spread. Therefore, it's sometimes better to cease all normal operations until the worm is completely eradicated from the infrected system(s).

--Dim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio