Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 03:26 PM

796 posts, read 3,054,180 times

Advertisements

I did forget to mention that the store manager (I'm assuming that's who he was) said they were open to suggestions on what to add to the store because they are still "getting things together".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 09:52 AM

17 posts, read 109,324 times
I went there yesterday also. The store was nice with a decent selection, but I don't think near as good as Whole Foods. And we were also disappointed by the lack of advertised "samples and give-aways".

And I agree, the prices really need to come down! Although we did find organic grapes for 77 cents a pound, which is a great price. Also, it would have been nice if they had gotten the prices onto to things before they opened. It was frustrating to look at something and then have to go and find someone to look up the price for you. But I'm sure they will get things worked out as they go along.

The employees were friendly, and I LOVED the neat machine at the front where you can type in and print health info and recipes.

All in all it was a good experience, though probably not good enough to get me to fight traffic to drive up there and on a regular basis. However, I will probably stop and shop there when I'm up in the area.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:38 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,573,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Drove by? Why didn't you stop in?
Well, I drive past there everyday, anyway...but my schedule is not allowing me to stopthere until tomorrow

Old 10-02-2009, 12:46 PM

443 posts, read 957,556 times
I'm not sure I'm up to paying $10 to try the goat yogurt, but I feel compelled (strongly) to give their Heartland beef a shot. That is some of the most impressive marbling I've ever seen on a steak.

The poster of the preview information didn't mention it was a private affair. Fortunately, I was invited in to have a look anyway. It wasn't your average selection of samples from vendors since the business owners themselves were there representing their businesses. It made for some interesting conversations. Chocolate flavored pasta sounds like it might have some interesting (and possibly tragic) uses.

The thing that got me was the lack of organics available. There were very few PLU's starting with a "9". I'm willing to give them a chance though, they had a number of items I hadn't seen since moving away from the Alamo Heights/Central Market/Wholefoods area.

They definitely have the best selection of Boar's Head products I've seen.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:48 PM

484 posts, read 1,587,128 times
I'm extremely jealous that we don't live in San Antonio anymore.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:08 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,977,156 times
Looks like they expect people in Stone Oak to pay up the arse for their goods.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion View Post
I'm not sure I'm up to paying $10 to try the goat yogurt, but I feel compelled (strongly) to give their Heartland beef a shot. That is some of the most impressive marbling I've ever seen on a steak.

The poster of the preview information didn't mention it was a private affair. Fortunately, I was invited in to have a look anyway. It wasn't your average selection of samples from vendors since the business owners themselves were there representing their businesses. It made for some interesting conversations. Chocolate flavored pasta sounds like it might have some interesting (and possibly tragic) uses.

The thing that got me was the lack of organics available. There were very few PLU's starting with a "9". I'm willing to give them a chance though, they had a number of items I hadn't seen since moving away from the Alamo Heights/Central Market/Wholefoods area.

They definitely have the best selection of Boar's Head products I've seen.
I'm not sure who you are referring to as far as not mentioning it being a private affair. The dates were listed on their website and there was no mention of being private.

I purchased that chocolate pasta, but haven't opened it. I am contemplating returning it. I am just afraid it's not going to taste very good (which may be a good thing LOL) If anyone who reads this post had tried it, please give me your opinion (via dm so this thread does not go off topic).

Old 10-02-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
Looks like they expect people in Stone Oak to pay up the arse for their goods.
I don't live in Stone Oak, but close enough. My dad pretty much says the same thing when he hears/see's the prices at our HEB vs his at Valley Hi.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:49 PM

443 posts, read 957,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheermomof4girls View Post
I'm not sure who you are referring to as far as not mentioning it being a private affair. The dates were listed on their website and there was no mention of being private.

I purchased that chocolate pasta, but haven't opened it. I am contemplating returning it. I am just afraid it's not going to taste very good (which may be a good thing LOL) If anyone who reads this post had tried it, please give me your opinion (via dm so this thread does not go off topic).
I don't recall seeing it posted on their site, I was informed it was limited to those who had received mailers. When I started to walk away, they mentioned no one was checking and to go in anyway. I also overheard someone informing the gentleman representing the company producing hydroponic basil that the information for the gathering had been posted on the internet (eek! to be sullied by those internet wastrels).

If you try it, let me know how you prepared it and how it was. I'd imagine it could be worked into something quite tasty by knowledgeable hands. Did you get to meet the woman who's company produces the pastas? Lovely person and always wonderful to meet someone with the entrepreneurial spirit alive in them. She would have been the one to ask. I'm planning on using one of her jams as a glaze on a rack of lamb.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:00 PM

126 posts, read 363,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion View Post
....The thing that got me was the lack of organics available. There were very few PLU's starting with a "9". I'm willing to give them a chance though, they had a number of items I hadn't seen since moving away from the Alamo Heights/Central Market/Wholefoods area.
I was expecting more also. I was looking to see more "local grown" signs too. nice if we could support the local farmers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio