Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 11:37 PM

7 posts, read 33,349 times

Advertisements

What exactly is the market like in San Antonio today, generally speaking, are sellers getting exactly what they are asking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 05:45 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,657,194 times
Pretty much so, you might have a wait a little longer but you will get it.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:37 AM

944 posts, read 3,064,632 times
There's just not much inventory that I can see. What's up with that? Has anyone else noticed this, and if so, does anyone have an explanation? Are sellers holding out for some reason?

Old 03-29-2007, 10:22 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,433,812 times
All depends on the price range. It's definitely a seller's mkt in the lower ranges (<$150), as long as the house is in good condition. I'm working with both buyers in the luxury market and the lower end market. For the lower end ones, we've had to move really quickly on anything that comes on the market because the competition is fierce. All my listings under $200,000 are moving really quickly, partly because of marketing, but we're still in a hot seller's market. Neighborhoods make a difference too.

The luxury market is a little different. We're definitely moving higher end homes a little faster than normal, but this market really never changes. It's always a slow but steady market, no matter what's happening in real estate.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:03 PM

121 posts, read 438,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
All depends on the price range. It's definitely a seller's mkt in the lower ranges (<$150), as long as the house is in good condition. I'm working with both buyers in the luxury market and the lower end market. For the lower end ones, we've had to move really quickly on anything that comes on the market because the competition is fierce. All my listings under $200,000 are moving really quickly, partly because of marketing, but we're still in a hot seller's market. Neighborhoods make a difference too.

The luxury market is a little different. We're definitely moving higher end homes a little faster than normal, but this market really never changes. It's always a slow but steady market, no matter what's happening in real estate.
Do you consider 6 months inventory a hot seller's market? Just curious.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:15 PM

Depends on the price range. There are too many variables in real estate to make that call. For the most part, no. If a house is on the market for six months in this market, and it's not in the luxury price range, it's either overpriced, under-marketed or something's wrong with it.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:16 PM

I've never once heard a real estate agent describe their home market as being anything other than "hot." That's why I asked what I did on the other thread. My family in CA told me that newspapers in California are including Texas among the "cooling market" areas.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:46 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,376,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
I've never once heard a real estate agent describe their home market as being anything other than "hot." That's why I asked what I did on the other thread. My family in CA told me that newspapers in California are including Texas among the "cooling market" areas.
Saying "Texas" is way too broad. You're talking about a huge state with four major metropolitan areas. Dallas/FT Worth is among the leading cites with the most forclosures. That's an indication of a market slow down.....people bought too high and may now be facing higher interest with ARMs and are not being able to tap into much equity.

That being said....other cities in Texas need to learn from DFW and tread carefully in over pricing their houses. The influx from the West coast is creating a sort of "false" sense of cheap real estate. It may be cheap in comparison to other areas, but if these buyers are counting on investments as rentals, they may not be the money makers they hoped for. It's only a matter of time before they start dumping what they can't rent and might have to settle being happy if they break even. They really aren't smart investors to have a mortgage on property they rent with the hopes that the property will escalate in value and then sell it for a profit in a few years. It just may not get that return at that time. Then it will be a buyers market.....

Old 03-30-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
Talk to a Realtor in Las Vegas or Phoenix right now. Real estate is up and down everywhere. That's the nature of everything. Right now we're getting investors from all over trying to buy here, which is a great indication of the market. California newspapers really have no idea what's going on here. They're looking at Texas as a whole.

One of the hottest markets in the country is McAllen. El Paso is on fire too. Austin's down. Dallas is fairly steady, but slowing. SA is still very good.

Every area is very different. Even inside SA. Selma is hot and Bulverde is cooling down. There are too many variables to say "Texas is a hot (or cold)" market.

The best indication is how many Realtors have work. The 80/20 rule is very true in Real Estate (more like 90/10). When the market cools, there are going to be a huge amount of Realtors going back to their day jobs, while the remainder of us stay in the business. Right now we've got a ton of Realtors in SA. Too many, in fact.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:00 PM

Everybody and their grandmother is a realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio