Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2017, 03:06 PM

457 posts, read 660,819 times

Advertisements

TXRED and Rancho,

It is amazing how few "real" (original old country recipes) foreign food establishments are around today.
Given a specific part of the country, California for example, Mexican food - Calif Tex Mex, freely uses sour cream
(Crema Malo?) on almost everything! The closest to "real" Mexican food available is the food trucks around L A
(good luck finding one!)

San Antonio is blessed with a number of very good Mexican restaurants, (They gotta be good, otherwise the locals - who can cook the "Real" thing, won't patronize them! Garcia's, anyone?) German, French and other European restaurants are few and far between...the good ones, even more rare. The last "really good" German restaurant was located in Killeen! ( Retired GI and his German wife ran an excellent German Restaurant.) Sadly, the husband passed away several years ago, and the wife decided it was too much for her to do alone. The locals actually held a "Closing" wake on the last day they were open.

The contemporary restaurant scene in Dallas, Houston and other large cities resembles this: Free-standing (non- franchise) pizza places and many Italian restaurants are owned an operated by Yugoslavians. Chinese Restaurants (slash Thai restaurants) are owned and operated by Cambodians/Koreans. The most remarkable point of all is, in most of these restaurants, the kitchen staff is largely Hispanic~! Go figure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 07:57 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,443 times
My grandmother on my mother's side grew up in
Grune and New Braunfels. She was of German descent
and because of her, enjoyed many dishes that she prepared.
My grandmother also knew how to make soap
and had no problem with cooking chicken from scratch.
I'll never forgot the first time she grabbed a chicken and
twist it's neck and began plucking out the feathers. t

Old 02-26-2017, 09:14 PM

457 posts, read 660,819 times
Rancho,

There used to be several German restaurants/meat markets in and around New Braunfels. Great food!

One has to see chicken prepared from start to finish to fully appreciate it! Used to see Great Aunt hold a chicken by
the neck and "wind 'em up"! Didn't fully appreciate it till they came out of the stove top frying pan! Ummm Good!

Old 03-02-2017, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,784 times
Default Can't remember came of Churro place and it's driving me nuts...

I've loved reading through most of the two San Antonio threads. Good memories there.

The main reason I ended up at this site is that I have been trying to remember the name of a Churro store located at North Star Mall back in the late 80's early 90's.

My memory has it located on the bottom level where the escalators come down from the upper level food court (I don't think there were escalators there at the time of the Churro store). If you were on the bottom level facing away from the upper level food court, you would be looking down a large hall/walkway lined by stores. The Churro place was on the left side of that walk way, and kind of wrapped around the corner (or was on that corner). The thing that stuck the most about the place was that it had a large animated display above the counter/sales area with little "elves" moving around as if they were making the Churros. These little "elves" were moving out of little houses or trees with doors in them. Makes me think of the Keebler Elves.

If anyone at all remembers this, or even the name of the place that would be awesome. I've been doing searches for pictures or names to no avail. Maybe point me in the direction of a mall directory/map from that time.

On a side note, I had a few other memories about Windsor Park Mall on the North East side (grew up on that side of town). I think malls and stores were so much cooler back then. Sorry if any of this was already posted.

* There was a large Whataburger in Windsor Park Mall close to the bottom level near the Dillards side I believe. The best part was that it had a real western look to it. There was even a sectioned off corral area for kids that had saddles instead of seats around the tables.

* The candy & nut store (it was chain) on the bottom level in the main open area of Windsor Park Mall had everything. Warmed nuts (loved the pepitas), and my favorite was the long strands of the red licorice. The smell when you came around the corner was awesome.

* There was a German themed store on the bottome level near the main open area of Windsor Park Mall. Had like a Black Forest black cottage look to the front. There used to be barrels with goods in them out front. I remember that was the first place I ever saw the Haribo Gummy Bears. I also think the employees wore German villager type uniforms.

* Spent many hours in the ToyBox on the upper level by Montgomery Wards (i think), while my mom spent hours next door in this place called something Bazaar that had all these foreign type decorations and things.

* Someone mentioned Malibu Grand Prix. Loved that place. I had a birthday there once, and I think I have the driver's license with my picture on it somewhere stored away.

That's all I got. Thanks to all who keep this thread and site going. Too cool.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:48 PM

626 posts, read 1,239,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rer1972 View Post
I've loved reading through most of the two San Antonio threads. Good memories there.

The main reason I ended up at this site is that I have been trying to remember the name of a Churro store located at North Star Mall back in the late 80's early 90's.

My memory has it located on the bottom level where the escalators come down from the upper level food court (I don't think there were escalators there at the time of the Churro store). If you were on the bottom level facing away from the upper level food court, you would be looking down a large hall/walkway lined by stores. The Churro place was on the left side of that walk way, and kind of wrapped around the corner (or was on that corner). The thing that stuck the most about the place was that it had a large animated display above the counter/sales area with little "elves" moving around as if they were making the Churros. These little "elves" were moving out of little houses or trees with doors in them. Makes me think of the Keebler Elves.

If anyone at all remembers this, or even the name of the place that would be awesome. I've been doing searches for pictures or names to no avail. Maybe point me in the direction of a mall directory/map from that time.

On a side note, I had a few other memories about Windsor Park Mall on the North East side (grew up on that side of town). I think malls and stores were so much cooler back then. Sorry if any of this was already posted.

* There was a large Whataburger in Windsor Park Mall close to the bottom level near the Dillards side I believe. The best part was that it had a real western look to it. There was even a sectioned off corral area for kids that had saddles instead of seats around the tables.

* The candy & nut store (it was chain) on the bottom level in the main open area of Windsor Park Mall had everything. Warmed nuts (loved the pepitas), and my favorite was the long strands of the red licorice. The smell when you came around the corner was awesome.

* There was a German themed store on the bottome level near the main open area of Windsor Park Mall. Had like a Black Forest black cottage look to the front. There used to be barrels with goods in them out front. I remember that was the first place I ever saw the Haribo Gummy Bears. I also think the employees wore German villager type uniforms.

* Spent many hours in the ToyBox on the upper level by Montgomery Wards (i think), while my mom spent hours next door in this place called something Bazaar that had all these foreign type decorations and things.

* Someone mentioned Malibu Grand Prix. Loved that place. I had a birthday there once, and I think I have the driver's license with my picture on it somewhere stored away.

That's all I got. Thanks to all who keep this thread and site going. Too cool.
Didn't that used to be at Marbach Rd. before you get to 410.
If that's the one, it got tore down and they built a Bar/Club I think.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:49 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rer1972 View Post

Whimsy Works was the name of the old shop at North Star with the churros and animatronics.

Keep checking the search engine.

It has been brought up before in GBNF Part I

Old 03-06-2017, 03:12 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,945 times
Default Anybody?

Did anyone here ever know the local musician that recently died, by murder
in Kerrville, in January of 2016, Kim Keating?

Old 03-06-2017, 06:40 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,828,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
Didn't that used to be at Marbach Rd. before you get to 410.
If that's the one, it got tore down and they built a Bar/Club I think.

Malibu Grand Prix was located just east of Callaghan and IH-10, along the access road. The track itself is still there, just overgrown.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:26 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,152,632 times
Wow...I can't believe my little thread is still going strong...10 years later. I'm not on here all the time but surely that's a record for this site?

Old 03-07-2017, 05:47 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,945 times
Default Record for Thread Posting ?

I am not sure, but this GBNF thread is almost always here with someone adding something....even when this threads' popularity wanes a little, Basse Bud will post anything just to keep it alive. It can be an interesting thread, stirring the muck up off some peoples' recollections, sometimes from fifty years gone even.
Nearly a million entries, in the second version of Gone but not Forgotten.
Kudos.
Got any more ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
Wow...I can't believe my little thread is still going strong...10 years later. I'm not on here all the time but surely that's a record for this site?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio