Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 07:11 AM

247 posts, read 844,289 times

Advertisements

We moved to the North Central part of town, to a gated community from San Diego over 2 years ago and love it.
You get more living space for your money here than in San Diego, the schools are wonderful (NEISD & Northside). We would of had to pay for private school in San Diego. We lived near San Diego State and ran into the same situation you did. Alot of kids bussed from all areas of town, some of which didn't speak English very well, this lowered the test scores of all the schools in the area.
Your kids will adjust just fine. I'm a military brat and had to move every 2 years of my life. They'll get over it. It's a friendly town, lots of places to play and swim and safe on this North side. Stay away from the South side, just like South side of SD. We live closer to 1604 and my DH works off I35, not too much traffic to contend with, not by California standards anyway.
I would look at apartments (if that's what you need) in the Deerfield area or Something off I10/Huebner.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:04 AM

554 posts, read 2,307,611 times
I second the recommendations about Boerne. It's a great community that is growing and growing now. It has a small town feel, but I don't think the people that live there have a small town mentality as much as other places. You could also look in Spring Branch and Bulverde. Spring Branch has a pretty good school district.

I don't know what all these people are talking about as far as crime goes. I have lived in San Antonio for 20 years and my family has never experienced any crime. I actually don't know anyone who has had anything worse than their car broken into, which you find anywhere. I have never felt unsafe in San Antonio.

To the posters about garbage/recycling. San Antonio has started the automated pickup. It is being phased in throughout the city. I believe that the city manager's plan is this to be the only form of garbage pickup. Each home gets one garbage bin and one recycling bin. Each is picked up once a week. Here is some more info: City Trash Pickup

Additionally, if you don't live in a neighborhood with this service you can call "311" from any phone and request that a green recycling bin be delivered to your home. These are certainly smaller than the new bins, but it's something.

To the original PP - I really encourage you to come and visit for a week, look at homes, and get a feel for the city before moving. I love San Antonio, but it's not for everyone.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,926 times
Hi! I hope that with alot of the bad and good talk about San Antonio you do not get discouraged. If you do decide to move to SA or the surrounding areas I believe you can find the place you can call home. I was brought up in Houston and lived in many different areas in Texas. The crime rate here depends on what part of town you are on at the time. I have lived in the Alamo Heights/Terrell Hills area for 11 years now and I have never had my house/car/property stolen or broken into. There are websites that most of the either Police departments or Sheriff's Offices have that will tell you the level of crime and what type of crime in the different areas.

Yes, SA does have a huge influx of Latinos which is not a bad thing but if you are looking for a predominately caucasian majority then look at Boerne, Alamo Heights, New Braunesfuls, Dominion, Fair Oaks Ranch, or Stone Oak Parkway.

Also, you might want to look into where you and/or your husband will be working because it is very open out here. Lots of space unless you live within town like where I live. Traffic can be a bear depending on which way you need to go to get to work.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:12 PM

592 posts, read 2,025,262 times
you have to look at medina. it does not even look like texas and you can get lake side too

Old 03-09-2008, 06:09 PM

3 posts, read 9,391 times
Hi Callimom 5,

Goodness, after reading all the previous threads, I am thankful we were able to raise our kids on our place.

We live on the outskirts of Somerset, small town, though easily accessed to San Antonio, etc... . We are raising our 3 sons here, (now they are teens, and we are thankful that we were able to have the safety of our place to let them grow up in). Goodness knows, I hear the same stories from friends (I'm from NY) saying how expensive it is there, and how fast it is for their kids to get caught up with the wrong crowd! The place we have (actually we are trying to sell now) was great to raise them in. Enough space to do our own thing- and our neighbors don't hear their music, LOL!
Jourdanton (south of here) is a nice sch. district, as well as Pleasanton. My first choice would be Jourdanton. Most of my friends here send their kids to Somerset, and they seem to have things for the students- (Jr. ROTC , band etc...). But I know a few of the teachers from here, that teach at Jourdanton, and send their kids there.
What are your kids into?
I agree with the one that said you will pay a pretty penny for land the more North you go. I guess, you have to decide which is best for everyone. The reason why we are selling, is my kids and us want to be a bit closer to their Nana, in Bandera. I know it will most likely be a bit more expensive there -than here. But God knows only how many years they will have that sweet lady around.

Blessings to you and your family in your search.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Owl

112 posts, read 556,176 times
We moved here from Orange County two years ago, and bought a gorgeous home in far North Central S.A., in a small gated community. We didn't want a lot of property, but we have a great lot, with much privacy. Our neighbors are wonderful, as well. Oh, and where we live in S.A., we do have recycle bins.

The people in San Antonio are simply wonderful. They are warm, friendly, helpful, and they have lots of transplants here from other places. I've met many people with a high-level of education and sophistication. The people I've met here are what I'd call "real," rather than the "plastic" people in "The OC" and in a lot of the L.A. areas.

I understand that there are some good school systems, though I don't have any kids in school to know this first hand.

The weather is hot, like Temecula, in the summer, and there are some cold-ish days and nights in the winter. I, frankly, like that. In the summer evenings, the air reminds me of Palm Springs...soft and filled with the sweetness of nature.

I have relatives who live in North East Texas, about two hours by car from Dallas, and the area is beautiful, much greener, very wooded.

In the two years that we've lived here, I've seen San Antonio grow by leaps--and for me this is a good thing, as I missed a lot of the cultural and shopping venues of S. California.

To me, the worst thing about San Antonio are the traffic conditions in some areas. There is not a good road infrastructure, in my opinion. It has been downright scary for us to go from point A to point B sometimes. I don't know what happens to all of these nice people I meet face-to-face; when they get behind their steering wheels they turn into road demons. And mind you, I drove in nine-lanes of traffic each way, without any problems, in Southern California. Sometimes there are no signs on the streets--at all. We got a GPS system, use Google maps, and take a map book with us, when we set out to parts previously unvisited.

There is crime, such as smash and grab, even in some of the nicer areas of town--if you leave things in your car that are visible.

As much as I do like San Antonio, I probably should have considered moving to the Dallas area, in terms of what interests us. But that doesn't mean that it would have been a better place--just that I probably should have checked it out first.

Anyway, the above are my experiences, and my reflections. Others may not agree, and some may even take offense. Sorry if you do.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:22 AM

50 posts, read 231,919 times
Default Tyler, Texas

Tyle, Texas is expensive as well. We looked there several years ago and unless we wanted an older home we were looking to spend close to $300,000 for a new home with a small lot of land. Plus the schools are not good. If you can afford it the kids go to private schools in Tyler. It is a small town...

Old 05-05-2008, 08:45 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,951,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calimom5 View Post
Hey everyone,
You guys are just super. I love reading what you all write. Here is the deal...my in laws are moving to Rusk/Palestine area (that is the north east I believe). Hubby wants land and green...rolling hills if possible. I have heard that SA is the best place to live with kids (I have teenagers who do NOT want to leave So Cal)...I want around 5 acres or more but GOOD SCHOOLS. Is that even possible in Texas? It seems the smaller towns have lousy schools, but you can't get land in the good school areas. HELP!!!!!!
I sent you a DM, I hope you got it. Here's the links:

saisd.com
gosanangelo.com : San Angelo, Texas News, Business, Homes, Jobs, Cars & Information

~ Rath

Old 05-05-2008, 03:12 PM

734 posts, read 3,016,636 times
Is there a reason you want San Antonio? Besides just that it's the best place to live with kids? You mention inlaws in Rusk, and that isn't close to us here.

There are lots of rolling hills and land, but the green won't be there year round! We get really hot in the summers.

A couple options: Comal School District - Smithson Valley High School. Spring Branch, Bulverde areas. Garden Ridge - also Comal School District. Buda/Kyle area (closer to Austin - not familiar with the schools though.)

Old 05-17-2008, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,628 times
Hello,
Have you moved to SA yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio